Live from QM2 - Norway and Northern Lights, M234A and M235

TheOldBear

Mrs. Sfred and I were off the ship shortly after docking and took the shuttle into town.   We walked across the bridge to the cathedral and then to the cable car 🚡 .  Some great views of Tromso and QM2.  We will watch for the northern lights from the ship tonight.   Fingers crossed for cloud breaks. 

20221106_135801.jpg

20221106_135105.jpg

20221106_142909.jpg

20221106_142905.jpg

• Like 6

Back onboard after the Northern Lights excursion - at the first stop the lights were visible through the bus windows. Mrs Bear elected to stay onboard - there was an announcement from Capt Hall stating there would be another announcement when the Northern Lights were visible. About 9:30 folks started filtering into Carthenia saying how nice the lights were and showing their photos. A few minutes later, they were gone. No announcement was made - or at least not audible on deck 7. 

More on 'smart' phone camera woes tomorrow 😕

PB070012.thumb.JPG.1386a8525bb1d901b4e7179574dd16ef.JPG

• Like 2

We saw the lights also last night, very briefly from deck 12.  We had been enjoying Irish coffees in the Commodore after dinner and thought to take a stroll outside on the way back to our room.  There was a short break from the earlier rain and the lights were visible through a gap in the clouds. 

20221107_213307.jpg

• Like 1

Mrs Bear was attempting to use her phone camera, when it started offering unsolicited audible advice - to 'hold still' for the long exposure, and other 'friendly' 'enhancements' [two of my curse words for computer and phone stuff].

She also uses a stylus - and the one for her phone is up somewhere near the 'Lookout' after being jostled.

• Haha 2

Crossing the arctic circle again, southbound for Trondheim.  Here's another "sunrise" photo taken at high noon (well, 11.20a).  Thankfully my phone weather app says the UV index remains "low".

20221108_105226.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/25/2022 at 3:10 PM, TheOldBear said:

Mrs Bear and I are all packed - with considerably 'too much stuff' (a hazard go being fairly local to the terminal) waiting for the proper time to leave for our 2:15 suggested boarding time.

I'll need to see how far the World Club 'gold' wifi benefit stretches - is it renewed on each segment like to old minute by minute benefit? For that and other reasons [too busy enjoying the ship] my updates may be sporadic. That should not stop other folks from contributing or commenting 🙂

Did you ever find out if the wifi benefit is renewed on each segment? 

We are enjoying your reports. Keep enjoying the lovely QM2, we have to wait until January.

19 hours ago, kassiopi said:

Did you ever find out if the wifi benefit is renewed on each segment? 

We are enjoying your reports. Keep enjoying the lovely QM2, we have to wait until January.

I haven't found out - ended up getting the package for the entire sailing. Will see in the 'my voyage' if anything can be deciphered.

Had a lovely afternoon yesterday in the medical center - similar sinus infection to what I had on out 2019 sailing. Got some heavy duty decongestant & codeine  cough medicine. I don't think I'll be doing the bike tour this morning.

Mrs Bear and I took the shuttle into town, and visited the cathedral grounds. She decided to take the shuttle back, and I took a leisurely walk back to the pier. 

I still have some tissues left, so that must mean I'm feeling better 😉

While we were getting ready, there was an announcement of a man over board drill on the port side. I was able to see the rescue boar pick up 'Oscar' and then hook on to be winched back to deck 7.

Edited by TheOldBear
Oscar keeps falling overboard
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, TheOldBear said:

I haven't found out - ended up getting the package for the entire sailing. Will see in the 'my voyage' if anything can be deciphered.

Had a lovely afternoon yesterday in the medical center - similar sinus infection to what I had on out 2019 sailing. Got some heavy duty decongestant & codeine  cough medicine. I don't think I'll be doing the bike tour this morning.

Thanks for reply. You should be able to see if they have credited you with the WC allowance once or twice. Hope you're feeling better,

16 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

Sorry about the bad weather but enjoy Zeebrugge, Gent is worth a visit if you don't fancy Brugge

16 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Yes, I agree. Ghent is definitely worth a visit.

Thanks for the suggestion @Host Hattie and @exlondoner.  We've not been to Ghent before so we will have a go.  

51 minutes ago, sfred said:

A rather bleak morning from a relaxing chair at the port window of the Commodore Club.  It doesn't look like it would have been a good day in Alesund even if we had been able to go.

20221110_102906.jpg

How nice to have a warm comforting ship to embrace you.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2022 at 3:17 PM, sfred said:

Mrs. Sfred and I were off the ship shortly after docking and took the shuttle into town.   We walked across the bridge to the cathedral and then to the cable car 🚡 .  Some great views of Tromso and QM2.  We will watch for the northern lights from the ship tonight.   Fingers crossed for cloud breaks. 

20221106_142905.jpg

Nice photographs @sfred , its always good to see contributors on here adding their photographs.

Your position brought back a good memory from 2003 when we did the 'Northern Lights' cruise on Oriana...

522598185_TromsoOriana2003.thumb.jpg.ca08ebffe5367de4b5a63a22d82c06a0.jpg

Not too many changes.

• Like 1