Live from QM2 - Norway and Northern Lights, M234A and M235

TheOldBear

The wind is a bit brisk - the UK Met Office high seas report says force 11 winds are possible.

The summary reads as

WIND
Cyclonic mainly westerly, 7 to severe gale 9, increasing storm 10 or violent storm 11 at times.
SEA STATE
Very rough or high, occasionally very high later in central belt.
WEATHER
Rain or thundery showers.
VISIBILITY
Moderate or good, occasionally poor.
  • Like 2

For the current 'Greatest Generation' theme crossing, yesterday's main feature was on D-Day, today's was the 'Battle of the Bulge' and tomorrow will be on 'Rosie the Riveter '

The rough seas resulted in suspending the planetarium shows, and substituting a comedian for a production show.

Today, I noticed that the Pavilion pool [deck 12] was netted, but the hot tubs were open. We will be checking he spa pool.

And for 'something completely different' the deck 5 launderette now has all new washers and dryers - apparently installed yesterday.

• Like 5

The “Greatest Generations” presentations have been outstanding.  As those who fought in WW2 slowly fade away,  it is inspiring to recall there stories.

The seas have been challenging.  Although not prone to motion sickness,  last night I skipped dinner due to some difficulties in walking about.  Frankly, I have been indulging so much in great since boarding in October, that missing a meal is not a problem.  Still bumpy walking about, but it seems much better than yesterday or else my sea legs are improving.

I was disappointed to miss last night’s theater, particularly as that is when the captain normally provides statistics on passenger count and nationalities.

• Like 3

Basically agree with sfred comments. We had 2nd sitting no problems Jose and Adrian excellent waiters, as of old once the new system sorted itself we were in Britannia at 2020 most nights and out within the hour.

Weather could have been kinder but skies cleared enough to see the NL from ship in Tromso and fully out of town. I suspected Alesund and Stavanger would be cancelled when I viewed some synoptic weather charts in Trondheim. Zeebrugge and Bruges were a reasonable alternative with good  weather.

For what we need internet was ok in cabin and quick in library and Connexions.

Little evidence of Covid for our 12 days with no calls for return to cabin etc after Bergen, those calls might have  been for late returnees. 

At Southampton for first time UK newspapers were for sale in grand lobby since restart or at least for our 5 cruises.

Thinking about it with OH the following have yet to be reintroduced: 

Cocktails parties

Dance hosts

Port Talks

Chefs Parade

Kitchen tours

Full ship tours

There may be others. 

• Like 1

Mrs Bear and I used one of our remaining spa days today, and the surf was up in the spa pool.

The adjacent hot tub repeatedly sloshed into the main pool - and was quite cool, probably due to cold make up water after each slosh. We have three days left on the spa pass - likely should have used one between Trondheim and Zeebrugge.

All the other pools [Terrace, Spash, Pavilion] are netted closed, and the deck 12 Pavilion pool is drained. 

A few minutes ago, the view aft had a nice double rainbow - will see how the photos turn out.

• Like 2

Waiting for our scheduled 9:40 departure time - apparently there are some in terminal delays, so we may be off later than that.

Apparently the current WC internet benefit is much less generous than the previous system. We had a single $45 gold tier credit for the entire voyage [three segments] - previously the minute allocation was per passenger, and refreshed each segment. Overall a much better value.

The puppy was adopted from the Tromso Wilderness Center's gift shop.

I did the ship's "Polaria and Huskies" excursion - at the Wilderness center there was a film of two center related teams in a multi day race [one team needed to quit due to fatigue / injury]. We then went outside to where five three month old puppies were being socialized and got to meet them [no one else to the opportunity for lots of muddy puppy prints].

Around that area were the adults - with their dog houses. [2 dogs to a platform with a straw insulated dog house]. I have a video clip of a husky chorus - about 30 voices - I will need to post a link to a hosting site once I upload it.

The dogs are smaller than I expected [perhaps 70 pounds] and as part of their training are socialized with other dogs and people. When the dogs age out of sledding, there is a waiting list of people [many from the local university] looking to adopt a retired sled dog.

Edited by TheOldBear
muddy puppy prints
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @TheOldBear.  I wish I had known that there would be puppies  -- we would have gladly been muddy paw marked.  We had previously done dog sledding several years ago at the ice hotel in Kiruna Sweden, so we chose not to do it again in Tromso.  Puppies might have tipped the balance towards repeating the experience.

In Kiruna, we were amazed how the cacophony of barks, howls, whines, growls, and general canine mayhem quickly became completely silent and focused when the dog sled teams got underway.  We were also surprised at the comparatively small size and leanness of the sled dogs.  They were all muscle and fur, very unlike our two soft pampered labradors.  I'd love to see your video if you are able to post it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sfred said:

Thanks @TheOldBear.  I wish I had known that there would be puppies  -- we would have gladly been muddy paw marked.  We had previously done dog sledding several years ago at the ice hotel in Kiruna Sweden, so we chose not to do it again in Tromso.  Puppies might have tipped the balance towards repeating the experience.

In Kiruna, we were amazed how the cacophony of barks, howls, whines, growls, and general canine mayhem quickly became completely silent and focused when the dog sled teams got underway.  We were also surprised at the comparatively small size and leanness of the sled dogs.  They were all muscle and fur, very unlike our two soft pampered labradors.  I'd love to see your video if you are able to post it.

no video but some puppies from summer visit in Tromso, hope to repeat it in June om QV. + One sleepy adult

Tromso huskies (7).jpg

Tromso huskies (11).jpg

Tromso huskies (15).jpg

Tromso huskies (18).jpg

• Like 4

Back home. Our trip was marred only by the awful airport transfer problems. We got off the ship with an early 8:05 call. Freezing and windy but we only had to walk to our transfer coach. And then we sat…and sat…and sat…and sat. Our flight wasn’t until the afternoon as our (Cunard) TA had assured us there was plenty of time. And we sat…and sat…. They were still waiting for 12 passengers when we gave up, left the coach, and hired a taxi. They might still be sitting there. Learned our lesson. Airport transfers are not Cunard’s strong suit. No one picked us up at LHR, Coach is not reliable in New York. 

But otherwise we had a fabulous time, even with missed ports and rough seas. Once I readjust to real life I’ll write a review. Thanks to all for their help with our voyage.

• Like 4

On 11/15/2022 at 9:18 AM, TheOldBear said:

And for 'something completely different' the deck 5 launderette now has all new washers and dryers - apparently installed yesterday.

The Deck 4 launderette got the new machines during this voyage as well, and they worked VERY nicely. 

5 hours ago, Tonopah said:

Back home. Our trip was marred only by the awful airport transfer problems. We got off the ship with an early 8:05 call. Freezing and windy but we only had to walk to our transfer coach. And then we sat…and sat…and sat…and sat. Our flight wasn’t until the afternoon as our (Cunard) TA had assured us there was plenty of time. And we sat…and sat…. They were still waiting for 12 passengers when we gave up, left the coach, and hired a taxi. They might still be sitting there. Learned our lesson. Airport transfers are not Cunard’s strong suit. No one picked us up at LHR, Coach is not reliable in New York. 

But otherwise we had a fabulous time, even with missed ports and rough seas. Once I readjust to real life I’ll write a review. Thanks to all for their help with our voyage.

I had a similar issue during disembarkation and airport transfer yesterday morning to EWR. 8.10AM call, which I pre-empted by about 15 minutes, and I'm glad I did, because I ended up spending ~45 minutes standing in line for immigration, with some very unhappy and unpleasant employees wrangling the lines.  I think we ended up leaving the parking lot around 10.30AM? 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been back home since Nov. 20th having done the Roundtrip NYC Northern Lights trip (Oct. 25 - Nov. 20).  I keep meaning to write a review, but was very busy with the American Thanksgiving Holiday.  The short version of my review is that I loved it so much that I then booked the Eastbound Crossing leaving this upcoming Saturday (Dec. 3).   As a result, a longer review will have to wait....

I got a GREAT (UNBELIEVABLE) price for a solo booking this upcoming crossing while on board, so obviously the ship is not full.  However, I am a little concerned because I've now figured out that I am on the Literary Festival crossing (and my internet sleuthing suggests that it changes the vibe on board and precludes access to parts of the ship).

• Like 1