Disembarkation in Barbados

slug33ukuk

We are on a cruise in FEB on Britannia to caribbean....a package deal with TA, so not on a charter flight ( with British Airways Scheduled)  and not flying until 1740 pm.

As part of the package we have private transfer to airport at 10-30 am. Can anyone give me options to fill in that time between?. If we take the ships "G00DBYE BARBADOS  Tour, do we take luggage with us?....can we stay on ship until later and keep our luggage with us?...Will the ship unload our luggage the night before and leave it in the collection point?  Any suggestions / info would be appreciated.

Your transfer appears very early.  You are required to leave your cabin by 8.00am but normally those on P&O flights have freedom to stay onboard and come and go until their transfer time is called.  You cannot take anything other than hand luggage on the Farewell trips - these bags are stored in the coach so you can tour unencumbered.  Hold luggage for those taking these trips is collected the night before.  The Farewell trips would not therefore be suitable if you are not taking the charter as passengers are taken directly to the airport. However for information these leave at around 10.00 and drop at the airport mid afternoon - depending on which you take 2.30 or thereabouts - most of the charters leave early evening.  My recollection of the flight departure boards in the past is that the BA and Virgin flights are slightly later, but not by much, it may we worth checking with P&O in case I am wrong but in nine trips I cannot recall seeing any hold luggage on these Farewell trips.

You could perhaps consider a later pick up time for your transfer, allowing you to stay onboard to continue to use the ship's facilities, many do this.  P&O also offer a limited number of day cabins on Britannia at a cost. These are limited and can be booked onboard on a first come basis when released.  You will have access to the port area and it is also relatively easy to walk from the port to the local areas.  

Regarding your luggage you would be best served to ask your travel agent to check with P&O the normal arrangements for this.  There are quite frequently non charter passengers onboard these cruises and therefore a routine must be in place.  However if you are retaining your luggage storage facilities on a left luggage basis operate from the theatre but I am unsure if large suitcases can be left there.

I hope this may help a little.

Edited by Megabear2

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Your transfer appears very early.  You are required to leave your cabin by 8.00am but normally those on P&O flights have freedom to stay onboard and come and go until their transfer time is called.  You cannot take anything other than hand luggage on the Farewell trips - these bags are stored in the coach so you can tour unencumbered.  Hold luggage for those taking these trips is collected the night before.  The Farewell trips would not therefore be suitable if you are not taking the charter as passengers are taken directly to the airport. However for information these leave at around 10.00 and drop at the airport mid afternoon - depending on which you take 2.30 or thereabouts - most of the charters leave early evening.  My recollection of the flight departure boards in the past is that the BA and Virgin flights are slightly later, but not by much, it may we worth checking with P&O in case I am wrong but in nine trips I cannot recall seeing any hold luggage on these Farewell trips.

You could perhaps consider a later pick up time for your transfer, allowing you to stay onboard to continue to use the ship's facilities, many do this.  P&O also offer a limited number of day cabins on Britannia at a cost. These are limited and can be booked onboard on a first come basis when released.  You will have access to the port area and it is also relatively easy to walk from the port to the local areas.  

Regarding your luggage you would be best served to ask your travel agent to check with P&O the normal arrangements for this.  There are quite frequently non charter passengers onboard these cruises and therefore a routine must be in place.  However if you are retaining your luggage storage facilities on a left luggage basis operate from the theatre but I am unsure if large suitcases can be left there.

I hope this may help a little.

Thanks for this info, I think maybe we will try and move our pick up time to lunchtime, ..still not sure if our luggage will be picked up night before if on scheduled flight, and if so will it be ok wherever they store it until we pick it up....or maybe we have to take it off ourselves???

55 minutes ago, slug33ukuk said:

Thanks for this info, I think maybe we will try and move our pick up time to lunchtime, ..still not sure if our luggage will be picked up night before if on scheduled flight, and if so will it be ok wherever they store it until we pick it up....or maybe we have to take it off ourselves???

Perhaps your pick up could become a short tour and drop off at the airport.  The Farewell trips take in local sights and a short break by the beach for a snack or lunch.  I'm sure for a fee your agent could ask your pick up company to organise something.  I have done this in the US and Middle East when having late flights.

Your agent should be able to get the luggage information for you, after all that is why you booked with one!

Edited by Megabear2

43 minutes ago, slug33ukuk said:

Changed our pick up to 1.30 now  ..all we have to do is go stowaway somewhere Antil then lol

If you have to keep your luggage to self disembark I'm sure you will be able to leave it somewhere onboard, as I say usually the theatre.   Your agent should be able to find out from P&O.

Your onboard account will still operate until you leave the ship permanently so you can eat and drink as normal.  You can also go into the port area for shops etc and a walk just outside the ports offers some stalls and local crafts.

37 minutes ago, wowzz said:

MB - Any idea what the day cabin cost is ?

Thanks

Depends on the type of cabin.  It ranged from £40 for an inside to £80 for a balcony last year which was a fiver higher than January 2020.  No doubt it will be higher.  They were very much saught after on all 9 of my Caribbean cruises.

34 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

If you have to keep your luggage to self disembark I'm sure you will be able to leave it somewhere onboard, as I say usually the theatre.   Your agent should be able to find out from P&O.

Your onboard account will still operate until you leave the ship permanently so you can eat and drink as normal.  You can also go into the port area for shops etc and a walk just outside the ports offers some stalls and local crafts.

There are some good bars in the port area.

IMG_20181207_085305.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, slug33ukuk said:

Changed our pick up to 1.30 now  ..all we have to do is go stowaway somewhere Antil then lol

Meant to say you will have to join the "normal" security line rather than the cruise one, and this can be substantially longer due to the number of worldwide flights. Might be a good idea to look at the airport schedule to gauge how long it may take.

47 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Depends on the type of cabin.  It ranged from £40 for an inside to £80 for a balcony last year which was a fiver higher than January 2020.  No doubt it will be higher.  They were very much saught after on all 9 of my Caribbean cruises.

Thank you. A long time before we go, but you can never have too much information !

On 10/26/2022 at 12:53 PM, Megabear2 said:

Meant to say you will have to join the "normal" security line rather than the cruise one, and this can be substantially longer due to the number of worldwide flights. Might be a good idea to look at the airport schedule to gauge how long it may take.

Also check when check in for your flight opens; this may be as little as two hours before flying. You do not want to be standing around at the airport for hours without access to any facilities; from memory there are none in the check in area, they are all inside the terminal after security.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Denarius said:

Also check when check in for your flight opens; this may be as little as two hours before flying. You do not want to be standing around at the airport for hours without access to any facilities; from memory there are none in the check in area, they are all inside the terminal after security.

I am going back to December 2006, so the airport could well have changed beyond recognition since then, but DH started with a tummy bug during a disembarkation tour from Minerva II and we spent quite a while on a bench outside the terminal waiting for him to be declared unfit to travel and then for an ambulance to take him to a clinic.  He was feeling quite weak, so I have very clear memories of helping him to the toilets which were accessible from outside the building, (a bit to the RHS of the entrance door that passengers went into for the check in).   Hence there may still be some you can access from outside the terminal building.

We had three days in a beach hotel after that, courtesy of our insurance company, and I was taking pictures of him swimming in the sea whilst ill in Barbados, so not a bad outcome.  We also found a jewellers in the nearby Hilton hotel and the exchange rate was 2 dollars to the £ at that time, hence a bit of smuggling followed.....

On 10/28/2022 at 11:57 AM, Denarius said:

That was our thoughts  so we changed pick up to 1-15pm 

• 1 year later...

Just bumping this if that's ok. Arvia next month.

Our flight home leaves at 1735hrs, just wondering when cases are collected as we're out in Barbados the evening before . 

Likewise what time do we have to leave our cabin on the day of disembarkation. 

Many thanks

32 minutes ago, doog442 said:

Our flight home leaves at 1735hrs, just wondering when cases are collected as we're out in Barbados the evening before . 

Many thanks

Can't remember what the deadline was for putting cases out

Are you going to Oistens Fish Fry? 

2 hours ago, doog442 said:

Many thanks

Between 5.00pm-Midnight on the night before you disembark, fully tagged.  And you had to leave your cabin no later than 9.00am on your disembark day. We were on Arvia in November 2023.

• Thanks 1

We are off on our first Caribbean cruise so feel like newbies!

On our last day has anyone.done one of the excursions that take you either in a tour or to a beach bar before the airport?

How do they work and are they worth it?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Presto2 said:

We are off on our first Caribbean cruise so feel like newbies!

On our last day has anyone.done one of the excursions that take you either in a tour or to a beach bar before the airport?

We've always just sat near one of the pools and enjoyed drinks on the ship on disembarkation day in the Caribbean and of course the free food 

Calm and relaxed end to the holiday

And used the showers and toilets on deck to get refreshed and ready to leave the ship once it's time

• Thanks 1

On 12/23/2023 at 5:02 PM, Presto2 said:

Last year on Britannia, we took the Turtle Snorkel tour on disembarkation day on Britannia, and it worked perfectly - back to the ship for 12, quick shower and change in the gym (and btw lots of people had left their toiletries behind there if you forget), lunch in the MDR and all ready for our 2pm disembarkation. Which was delayed to 3pm so we even got to keep using the drinks package for a little longer 🙂 it was a great way to end the holiday before flying home. You can leave your hand luggage in the theatre too, to allow you to do what you like without having to lug things around with you.

So good, that we had booked exactly the same tour for our Britannia cruise earlier this month, but unfortunately it was cancelled a couple of days before due to low bookings. So apart from a quick walk outside the terminal building, we spent the morning sunbathing by the pool instead.

I did note there was also a beach excursion available which would take you directly to the airport at the end, instead of returning to the ship (in which case, don't leave your hand luggage in the theatre 😄).

One other note... If you're doing Friday to Friday, you will need to go through immigration on the morning of the last day. They ask all those with tours booked to go through immigration first - it was at 7.30am on Britannia this month, although due to a late arrival it was more like 8am and the queue was huge! Once they started to process the immigration, the queue moved quickly, but if you have an early tour booked, it's worth getting to the immigration early... 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, CaptainPedantic said:

Last year on Britannia, we took the Turtle Snorkel tour on disembarkation day on Britannia, and it worked perfectly - back to the ship for 12, quick shower and change in the gym (and btw lots of people had left their toiletries behind there if you forget), lunch in the MDR and all ready for our 2pm disembarkation. Which was delayed to 3pm so we even got to keep using the drinks package for a little longer 🙂 it was a great way to end the holiday before flying home. You can leave your hand luggage in the theatre too, to allow you to do what you like without having to lug things around with you.

So good, that we had booked exactly the same tour for our Britannia cruise earlier this month, but unfortunately it was cancelled a couple of days before due to low bookings. So apart from a quick walk outside the terminal building, we spent the morning sunbathing by the pool instead.

I did note there was also a beach excursion available which would take you directly to the airport at the end, instead of returning to the ship (in which case, don't leave your hand luggage in the theatre 😄).

One other note... If you're doing Friday to Friday, you will need to go through immigration on the morning of the last day. They ask all those with tours booked to go through immigration first - it was at 7.30am on Britannia this month, although due to a late arrival it was more like 8am and the queue was huge! Once they started to process the immigration, the queue moved quickly, but if you have an early tour booked, it's worth getting to the immigration early... 

That's really helpful .. thanks.

We fly out the 2nd day and have looked at the beach breaks and then straight to the airport but hubby not too sure about being in a beach then 9 hrs in a plane. 

Was the ship pretty quiet on disembarkation day? Am guessing that for us half will be off exploring and the other half will be like us either off wandering, on an excursion or lazing about.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Was the ship pretty quiet on disembarkation day? Am guessing that for us half will be off exploring and the other half will be like us either off wandering, on an excursion or lazing about.

The ship did feel pretty quiet. I suppose there will have been a combination of people making the most of their first full day in Barbados, people recovering from long flights, and those leaving the ship early for a last trip or beach visit before going home. The pool area was definitely quieter than any other day on the cruise - even at 10am there were sun beds available poolside. MDR was quiet for breakfast and lunch too. The only busy times I noticed were when dropping off our hand luggage at 9am - everyone must have had the same idea after vacating their cabin but even then, it was less than 10 minute wait. And it was busy in the waiting areas naturally.

• Thanks 1