Royal Up Experience - Help

For anyone that has had a Royal Up bid accepted, how far in advance of boarding did they notify you and was it by e-mail?  Have a bid in for Nov 28 on Wonder and will be traveling the 4 days before boarding so it will be difficult to check e-mail(Senior and computer challenged). Finding we were upgraded when we board would be terrible trying to round up luggage that was sent to original room. I dislike it, but I may have to cancel my bid 4 days before departure because at our age the hassle may be to much. Thanx to anyone with experience. 

14 minutes ago, FloridaGator said:

For anyone that has had a Royal Up bid accepted, how far in advance of boarding did they notify you and was it by e-mail?  Have a bid in for Nov 28 on Wonder and will be traveling the 4 days before boarding so it will be difficult to check e-mail(Senior and computer challenged). Finding we were upgraded when we board would be terrible trying to round up luggage that was sent to original room. I dislike it, but I may have to cancel my bid 4 days before departure because at our age the hassle may be to much. Thanx to anyone with experience. 

Have you gone back in to your bid to see if anything is showing as expired or pending?  That is a good first step.   You would have received an email when you made your bids, that email will have links to your current bids.  The previous times I've bid and won this year, I was notified at least a week or more in advance--but ships were NOT sailing full.  Also, it will hit your credit card before you get the email, so if you check your card regularly, you might see it there first.  Recently, with ships being very full, sometimes you aren't notified you got an upgrade until you are actually on the ship and in your original stateroom already.  That happens when someone is a no-show or is denied boarding for some reason (like being sick).  You then have to move your things from one room to the next.  I'm guessing you don't have a smart phone where you can check your email, check into your cruise via the app, etc?  That would be the fastest and easiest way to monitor if you were upgraded a day or two before sailing.  And then the porters would give you updated luggage tags when you dropped your bags off at the port.  

We have had a couple of these and we did not get the confirmation until a week or two be for sailing. The purpose of this program is to move people up and sell more popular lower cabins that are filling up. So they will wait until the last minute to see if the suite cabins actual book at full price before they move someone up at these discounts so they can sell the lower level cabin at full price. it is really a great strategy by Royal to max full paying passengers. Airlines use to do the same thing but without the bid process. If the cabin was full and first class was not they could move someone from couch to first class and make them happen, fill a seat that was going to be empty and they resell the coach seat. Good luck but it will be close to sailing before you get the notification. 

We got notified 2 days prior to departure. We didn't get any of our D+ stuff, amenities, invites, etc, so went to LA to request. We also got the other person's 'stuff' who must have also been upgraded. She was getting birthday gifts and I tried to tell them I wasn't her but it did not work. Delivery person took the stuff back and was redelivered later 🙄

They seemed to be having this problem with a lot of cabins. Must have been a lot of last minute upgrades. That was probably the biggest negative about Royal Up.

I won my bid today, and I sail on November 6th, so exactly 9 days out.

Everything on my reservation now reflects the Upgrade from balcony to Grand Suite, except my docs still show the old cabin, which means the luggage tags do too..... I will over-write the ones I have I suppose.  I know......first world problems.

5 minutes ago, ckrobyn said:

Oh excellent - thanks for that. I will call.

In my experience,  the new documents and tags show up about 48 hours after you win your bid. Takes a couple days to flow from the company that does the Royal Up bidding process over to where Royal updates the documents. 

• Like 1