HDMI TV ports accessible in cabins?

dcrobin1953

We are headed on our once in a lifetime world cruise. We thought it would be nice to watch a favorite show before we fall asleep.  If the HDMI ports are accessible on the cabin TV this will be possible, as I have a small TV box I could bring.  Does anyone know?

Thank you!

Doug

There are no exposed connection points to the TVs in the staterooms.  I was hoping that there might be an HDMI input to connect, but sadly no.   The TVs are mounted with no access to the back, sides, top or bottom.  If you have a Philips screwdriver you might be able to remove the mesh screen at the bottom of the TV to see if you can find a port, but even if you do, the TV remotes do not have controls which allow you to change the input source.  The TV remotes are tailored specific to the Viking offerings.  You can't even connect a set of headphones (no audio jack and no bluetooth).

However, if you have the Owner's suite, you can connect to the TV in the in-suite conference room, but that is for output display from an external device (e.g., your laptop) to the flatscreen, not an input to a Tivo or similar.  

On the Star, I found that the large flatscreens in the Explorer's Lounge and in the deck 3 gallery had HDMI connections available, but no remote controls.  The ship's A/V guy told me that I would need to coordinate with Guest Services in order to connect to those flatscreens.

You can always ask guest services if they can have someone access the hdmi port. We have not done so on Viking but did on Regent. Interestingly Regent has the tvs mounted in a way that they lift off from a bar and the hdmi is on the back. It would have been easy to do on our own if we had known before hand. They were Samsung so we brought our Samsung remote from home and a tiny dvd player- Worked great

Edited by islandchick

On 10/28/2022 at 12:09 AM, dcrobin1953 said:

We are headed on our once in a lifetime world cruise. We thought it would be nice to watch a favorite show before we fall asleep.  If the HDMI ports are accessible on the cabin TV this will be possible, as I have a small TV box I could bring.  Does anyone know?

Thank you!

Doug

Best bet would probably be to download the episodes onto a tablet before leaving home, then watch them on that, or a laptop

On 10/27/2022 at 7:09 PM, dcrobin1953 said:

as I have a small TV box I could bring

As long as you aren't streaming over the wifi, which guests are requested not to do because of bandwidth issues.

From the Viking FAQ:

All our ships offer free Wi-Fi. You may use your personal device or one of the ship’s computers in our Business Center on Deck 1. Our connection relies on a VSAT satellite terminal—the best possible solution for ocean cruising. Due to the nature of data bandwidth and latency, as well as potential interruptions in satellite signals based on terrain and weather, you may experience slower online connections than you are accustomed to at home. In order to ensure fair usage for all, we reserve the right to limit heavy-bandwidth applications, downloads or software upgrades so that all our guests have access to Wi-Fi. We suggest that guests limit large uploads/downloads and live streaming. Please download your content prior to your cruise, as bandwidth will affect your service and cannot be guaranteed. We would be pleased to help you with your device settings once you are on board. We hope you will understand that we will do our very best to provide you with an enjoyable online experience, and remember you will likely be able to access standard Wi-Fi and data roaming services on shore in most towns and cities you visit.