What's wrong with Holland America?

Lucy Jane

I'm a five star mariner, I've never had a problem with my credit card. When I booked my cruise online, I gave them my credit card information no problem. I just got a notice in my cabin saying that I had exceeded my credit limit and then I needed to go down and either bring cash or my credit card so I can continue using my signing privileges to enjoy all the services on board. I'm really disturbed, it's the same card I have always used and now they're putting a limit on me. They say I've had an excess of $500.07. I don't understand this at all they must be really in the money. It's always the same card number. I've always used. I've never had a problem. I pay it in full every month. I think they're financially in big trouble. That's just my thoughts. But it's strange. I've never had this happen before. 

There is something missing here.  Did you notify your card company about your travels?  Has your card recently lowered your credit limit?  Capital One just lowered my limit because I am not using it much.  Have you called your card company?  EM

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This happened to us pre pandemic:  they called us to guest service because we had reached some sort of limit.  Guest services explained that all we needed to do was sign a form.  Whether the limit was imposed by our credit card company or the cruise line, I am not sure.  Credit card companies may deny a bigger charge in order to protect you the card holder.  There is so much fraud out there, it is in the best interest of you & the cruise line to play it safe.  Usually, a signature from you is all that is required.

• Like 6

This happened to DH once.  After we completed our check in, months ahead of the cruise, his credit card number changed.  Once he gave them the updated number all was good.  Although we were curious as to why this wasn’t caught before check in at the port.

We were just in the UK when I authorized our TA to charge the rest of our upcoming cruise to our card.  Usually no problem at all and well under our credit limit.  Next thing I know, I get an email from capital one that I had exceeded our credit limit (which is a lot!) and I had better make a payment fast.

I checked my card online and saw HAL had triple charged me for the cruise!  I got in touch with my TA and after much going back and forth it was resolved but HAL never admitted an error on their part (when clearly there was one).  That's not the kind of news you want to hear when you're traveling in Europe and using your cards.