An Expert Newbie Needs Your Help!

RCCL Fan

I've a 45 year old guy who has been cruising since he was 7 years old.   You name a port in the Caribbean and I likely have 2-3 different "friends" there who I've done so much business with over the years, they know me by name. 

After 300+ nights at sea, I'm about to visit the Rivieria for the first time of my life.  I have NO IDEA what to do and I am looking for your help and advice.

We're sailing to Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, and Mazatlan over the Christmas holiday.

It's a group of 7.

4 adults in our early to mid 40's

2 teenage girls

1 8 year old girl.

We all tend to like the nicer things in life.

We love personal tours, but not HUGE on adventure tours.

Our kids get bored on city tours

We're not a fan of big groups

We're want to do some type of whale watching in Cabo

But totally lost on the other two islands. 

I'd love your suggestions and recommendations.    

How should we spend our time?  upscale resort recommendations?  personal tour guide recommendations?   Something we really should do/see.

Check the Las Caletas tour  in Puerto Vallarta if offered by your cruiseline. You will sail across the bay and back  to their private beach with many facilities. Great time for you all. In winter you might even see some whales in the bay. 

Oh and  Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta are no islands but mainland Mexico!

• Haha 1

In Cabo San Lucas I'd get a day pass for the RIU Palace for after a morning whale watching tour.

In Mazatlan, for a first time visitor, I'd recommend a tour that goes to Concordia and Copala. They are two very old towns, founded in 1550 and 1565, respectively. It is a very different experience than the normal Mexico cities that cruises stop in, which are usually newer, tourist cities.

For Puerto Vallarta, much has changed in the city in the 40 years since my parents bought their first home there. I still enjoy the Zona Romantica and especially the Isla Cuala and Malecon in that area. It is shops and restaurants and a glimpse at an older PV.

Snorkeling and whale watching are also very good in PV.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2022 at 3:05 PM, RCCL Fan said:

How should we spend our time?  upscale resort recommendations?  personal tour guide recommendations?   Something we really should do/see.

I smiled to hear you call mainland/peninsula ports "islands", but I did read your experiences!

I have visited only Puerto Vallarta and Cabo so far (going to get a double dose of your three ports in Dec/Jan). I bow to Ine's and Scott's recommendations for Cabo and Mazatlan. Noting the Mazatlan rec for my own cruise(s)!

For PV, I will say that just walking from one end of the Malecon to the other offers many things to amuse all ages: statues, street (or beach) performers, window or sidewalk shopping, and of course eating & drinking! We two took public bus, but with seven of you -- you might hire a van or research a ship's "drop-off" opportunity.

Just to add to the above. In Puerto Vallarta there will be shuttles waiting just as you get off the ship. They hold 6-8 people...$5.00pp. The one drop off is at the start of the Malecon.

To return back to the ship just go a block behind the Malecon (one way street traffic) and flag down a taxi very easy to do however they will only hold maybe 3 adults in the back seat.

Make sure you ask for the price before you get in but should be the same price point. Just there on a port stop last month. Enjoy..can't wait until we return again in January.

In PV, I like to do a resort day at the Marriott or Westin.  Both are close to the port (you will have to take taxis).  For a set price, you get to spend the day at a very nice resort—drinks, food, beach access, spa treatments (extra cost).  

Otherwise, Las Caletas is a great excursion!  Lots of things for the kids to do—snorkel, paddle board, crafts, animal interactions.  An hour boat ride each way but the crew makes it fun.

Thanks everyone --- promise my geography skills aren't that poor.  Not sure why I referred to the coastal cities as islands.... habit I guess.

We hired a tour guide in PV, and are searching for a  whale watching charter with food and drinks for cabo.   We're thinking MZ will be on our own.

20 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

We hired a tour guide in PV, and are searching for a  whale watching charter with food and drinks for cabo.   We're thinking MZ will be on our own.

We are planning an independent walking "tour" of Mazatlan on our first B2B visit [Holland America's Salsa and Salsa (i.e. dance and cooking) ship's tour with ShoreX credit for the second].

Read this thread from my post #9 on for some recent feedback.

And this one for MUCH DETAIL of the route and sights/sites:

In Mazatlan. Just take one of the taxi's at the port to the Central Mercado Market area. Then have a local point out where the Panama Bakery (should be just around the corner) is have some lunch and then flag down a taxi back to ship. This is a very easy DIY port stop. 

We were just there this past January and will be back again January 2023.

We've done the Mexican Riviera more times than I can count.

3 hours ago, crystalspin said:

We are planning an independent walking "tour" of Mazatlan on our first B2B visit [Holland America's Salsa and Salsa (i.e. dance and cooking) ship's tour with ShoreX credit for the second].

Read this thread from my post #9 on for some recent feedback.

And this one for MUCH DETAIL of the route and sights/sites:

Thank you,  my TA assured me it was safe as well.  I'm planning on one of those open air taxi's there and back....   little humans in tow.

• Like 2