Cunard Transfer Service from port to airport in NYC from QM2?

jrcooper

Yes, Cunard offers transfers to the three major New York area airports. It's hard to tell though since there is no sign of their availability in My Cunard. There is a section to add a transfer when making an initial booking on the Cunard US website, but all it displays there is a list of prices without any descriptions for 2022/23 bookings.

Anyway, for the remaining 2022 QM2 voyages to New York, Cunard coach transfers are listed at $50 per person to JFK and LaGuardia airports. Coach transfers to Newark airport are $50 in November but they go up to $60 in December. For 2023 QM2 voyages to New York, the price for coach transfers appears to be a consistent $60 per person to all three airports.

Edit to add: Cunard also offers transfers via executive car or mini-van (at additional cost of course).

Edited by bluemarble

As bluemarble mentions, they offer coach service.  However if they don’t have enough people they will cancel the coach.  They usually know if this is the case a day or two prior to arriving in NYC.  This happened to us once.  (It also happened in September in Southampton when they cancelled our coach to Heathrow airport due to lack of people).  Lastly, a few years ago we took the coach to Newark Airport but due to horrendous lines at US customs it took a long time for people get through.  The bus waited for people but left very late, to the dismay of many who were waiting on the bus and worried that they would miss their flights because of the delays. Given this, we just take a taxi or car service from Brooklyn now.

Last time I was on the QM2, last February, she was late arriving in Brooklyn. I had a transfer to JFK but by the time I got through customs the bus had left to get passengers to their departing flights on time. Worse, Cunard had no announcement about this and nobody on the ground knew anything about what had happened. I had to figure it out going back and forth from the terminal to locations I was told was where the bus was. Finally had to grab a Uber which cost more than twice as much. 

Every Cunarder knows the Brooklyn cruise terminal is a madhouse on the best of days, but the lack of coordination and blatant don't-give-a-damn of Cunard's people during this fiasco was a severe blow to the esteem I heretofore had for the line.

The lesson learned? If you're on a tight schedule, have a Plan B and don't assume if things go south Cunard will make it right. 

Edited by Brummel

I have used a transfer to EWR and LGA a few times. It usually works out well.

Our experience earlier this month wasn't so good. Those needing a wheelchair had an hour wait for disembarkation despite showing up at the appointed time at the Golden Lion.  At least our luggage wasn't misplaced on the pier as it was the previous time and immigration was easy with preferred wickets for people with special needs.

We were assured a bus for LGA would wait, but there wasn't enough room on the buses for everyone so there were about 15 waiting for what we hoped would be the last bus. It didn't come. We waited a full hour with no seating. My wife leaned on her stick and/or me for that time. Eventually, the 15 of us were put on a bus bound for mid-Manhattan hotels and it went to LGA first. The passengers who had been sitting on that bus for a long time took this news well.

We booked this transfer on board at a cost of $60 pp.  We should have taken a taxi or car service, but for peace of mind I prefer Cunard coach transfers which usually work well.  As an aside, I should say we have used transfers far more in Southampton and never had a problem. 

My TA, Kelly, works in the Santa Clarita Cunard office. She arranged a car service from Brooklyn to JFK. It isn’t cheap, over $100., but if the car isn’t there I have her phone number. Fortunately our flight time was changed from noon to 4:00pm so we have plenty of time. @Tonopah had problems in London and I want to make sure I have a number to call and a person to send the receipts to if there is a problem.

• Like 1

What I'm not seeing in the responses, and perhaps this has changed, is that the airport transfer passengers are among the first to disembark.  Of course, if not everyone avails themselves of early disembarkation, they will delay those who did.

We use to always purchase the airport transfers from Cunard onboard.

We book flights earlier than what Cunard Complete Air offers from EWR/JFK/LGA.

We do Self Walk Off to  get on the first bus and have made it with time to spare every time 

despite flight departure times around 11am.

Last cruise we tried Uber to EWR , worked out well $90 so we will use Uber again.

Thanks for the info. I had read that it was a long wait to get a taxi at the port, so that was why I was asking about a transfer. However, it sounds like the transfer is a hassle as well. I may just stick to a taxi or Uber. Our flight is at 2:00 pm out of LGA, so hopefully, we shouldn't have problems making it.

45 minutes ago, techteach said:

I wanted to make sure we got a car big enough for 3 large and 1 carry-on pieces of luggage. I will never forget ordering a cab/van ahead of time and a regular cab showing up. We had to sit on luggage! Never again.

So far I've used Uber and Lyft, who tell you exactly what kind of vehicle is coming.  If it doesn't suit you, you cancel and search again.

On 10/30/2022 at 9:19 PM, jrcooper said:

Does anyone know whether the QM2 offers a transfer service from the port in NYC to the airport?

This will be VERY expensive. They were charging $185 from Brooklyn to Times Sq area - and were offering a full range of transfers (including airports) about 2 days before arrival.  Prebooked prices I looked at before travel were about half Cunard fares. We just took a green cab to Times Sq- it was fixed fare about $65 I think from memory. I suspect there will be fixed fares Brooklyn to JFK as well. Most NY cabs now seem to have plenty of luggage space…sort of mini MPV - I doubt there will be any problem with space in a cab rank taxi - they’ll know cruise passengers have a lot of luggage.

However we were QG and off at 8am so no problem with immigration or cab availability- not sure what the supply is like over the next couple of hours. If you can self disembark there’ll be no problem with a cab 

Edited by buchanan101

On 10/30/2022 at 8:58 PM, DrGonzo said:

Lastly, a few years ago we took the coach to Newark Airport but due to horrendous lines at US customs it took a long time for people get through.  The bus waited for people but left very late, to the dismay of many who were waiting on the bus

In my experience passengers on the airport shuttles are among the first to disembark (they're given distinct bag tags) so it would be unusual for Immigration (not Customs) to be that backed up that early.

142326323_Screenshot2022-11-088_09_50AM.png.01993d8486959f6ac33110e65716e77c.png

15 hours ago, jrcooper said:

I had already planned to get Apple tags.

Wish I'd had them skiing last spring when I was in Salzburg and my skis were still at Heathrow. Then Vienna>Frankfurt>Salzburg over the next 3 days.  Wouldn't have had to wait around until everyone had cleared the baggage hall...

14 hours ago, techteach said:

@jrcooper $200. from terminal to JFK through Cunard

About what I thought it was (based on $185 to Times Sq) Over double what a cab would cost... self disembark before 8am and you'll get a cab. we were at the front of the 8am disembarkation queue, which is when the rush starts - there was a constant trickle of self disembarkation passengers