Alaskan cruise

kayehall

I am new to Holland America.  I have decided on Whittier to Vancouver.  Looking for opinions on the ship between Noordam and Nieuw Amsterdam and why?  It looks like the Crows Nest is bigger on the Noordam.  Am I seeing that correctly?  Thanks for your input!!!  Kaye

The Crow's Nest on each ship should be about the same size, as the ships are (essentially) the same size. The Nieuw Amsterdam is larger, but that's because there is one additional deck. Otherwise, the public spaces and the cabins are the same. 

The Nieuw Amsterdam has the Tamarind Restaurant, which the Noordam does not. That's the major difference between the ships. If you are interested in Pan-Asian food, then you might prefer the Nieuw Amsterdam; I believe the Noordam still has a library, if that matters to you. 

Otherwise, either ship will provide a lovely cruise. Why not just choose by most convenient date of sailing. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kayehall said:

I am new to Holland America.  I have decided on Whittier to Vancouver.  Looking for opinions on the ship between Noordam and Nieuw Amsterdam and why?  It looks like the Crows Nest is bigger on the Noordam.  Am I seeing that correctly?  Thanks for your input!!!  Kaye

The Crows Nests are the same size to about the inch. If I look at Noordam's sister ship Zuiderdam's CN vs Nieuw Amsterdam's they have the same arrangement of anything! and the aft walls end at the same spot referenced to the stairwell and cabins "behind" them.

Should you want to stay on the same deck as the Crows Nest, I would recommend the Noordam, which has 18 verandah cabins and 7 insides (two of which have a window!), whereas the NA has 10 only "Spa" verandahs with an upcharge for the title. The Observation Deck balconies on Noordam are shallow but usable, whereas the Spa Verandahs on NA have even smaller balconies. Aft of the block of rooms on the Noordam is a full-length walking deck. Aft of the smaller block of rooms on the NA, is the Cabana Club (restricted access).  

I've been on both and I like NA far more than Noordam.  NA received an Overall Gold Premium Ship Award from Magellen but that was 2018.  It's hard to put my finger on it, but IMHO, NA is a "nicer" ship.  Noordam had that feel of an older ship to me.  NA has BB Kings, but now I see that Noordam has Step One Dance Company.  I have not experienced what that is.  NA also has Tamarind and Nami Sushi which is not available on Noordam.