Venice Hotel - Grand Canal or Lagoon?

Ksqrd

For those who have been to Venice - would you recommend a hotel on the Grand Canal or the Lagoon?  I'm leaning towards the Grand Canal just because its quintessential Venice but thought I would see what others think.

Thx

-K2

I like to be in the midst of things; I prefer to be in the vicinity of the Grand Canal (don't have to be precisely ON it, if budget is an issue).  Canal view rooms are always a premium price in Venice, even if it's not the Grand Canal.

Equally important to think about is the hassle factor. Look for a hotel that is near a vaporetto or alilaguna stop (depending on how you'll arrive) -- unless you are planning on a water taxi.  Hotels that can be reached from one of these stops without any bridges are worth searching out.

Edited by cruisemom42

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/5/2022 at 11:23 AM, cruisemom42 said:

I like to be in the midst of things; I prefer to be in the vicinity of the Grand Canal (don't have to be precisely ON it, if budget is an issue).  Canal view rooms are always a premium price in Venice, even if it's not the Grand Canal.

Equally important to think about is the hassle factor. Look for a hotel that is near a vaporetto or alilaguna stop (depending on how you'll arrive) -- unless you are planning on a water taxi.  Hotels that can be reached from one of these stops without any bridges are worth searching out.

I’m interested in a hotel near St Marks. Any suggestions? 

12 hours ago, vino100 said:

I’m interested in a hotel near St Marks. Any suggestions? 

Budget is really going make the difference here. Most hotels near St Marks are the priciest in the city but there are a few budget options. Personally our favorite is the Gritti Palace which can be astronomically expensive ($1200+ a night for an entry level room) but is also a tremendously good points redemption value through Bonvoy. Same goes for the Hotel Danieli which is on the other side and can also be a bit less expensive ($500-700 a night). 

It's nearly impossible to make a rec without some idea of how much you are budgeting to spend a night. 

I think my budget is no more than $1,200 per night. You mentioned several in that price range. Since that is a lot of money, I just want to find the best in that range. 
I don’t need to be right at st marks square, but s fairly short ride. 
all suggestions are welcome. 
thanks 

I like Hotel Danieli, but with this hotel (and probably others in the area) you have to be very careful what you are booking. I much, much prefer the original hotel not the additions/annexes which have much less character. Sometimes it is hard to identify just what you're getting if you go through a consolidator to book your rooms. In Venice I feel it is much better to book directly with the hotel.  I have not booked with points, so not sure how transparent that process is....

That said, unless your budget stretches to one of these legendary hotels (like the Gritti Palace or Danieli), I am not sure staying AT St. Mark's is such a benefit. Remember, Venice is very small and it is often thronged with people. Sometimes it is better to stay a short distance away from all the madness, with only a short walk or vaporetto ride when you want to be part of it.

4 hours ago, vino100 said:

I think my budget is no more than $1,200 per night. You mentioned several in that price range. Since that is a lot of money, I just want to find the best in that range. 

If you are ok with that range I would look at either the St Regis or the Gritti Palace. The St Regis is going to be closer to St Marks (a bit too close from a personal preference) and is a bit more modern inside.

The Gritti Palace is a grande dame of Venice and really does a nice job-- its our favorite hotel in that area and frankly only competes with Hotel Cipriani for favorite hotel in the city (they serve very different purposes). It is slightly enough outside of the St Marks orbit that its not thronged but close by so you can walk there in a few short minutes. The food and beverage options we also found a bit better than the St Regis (or other similarly categoried hotels like The Bauer etc nearby). They had a renovation a few years back and the rooms are very well appointed while keeping a lot of the old world charm. Service was impeccable and their concierge staff have to be among the best in the city. 

The Danieli, while always a sentimental favorite, is showing her age and a few years of deferred maintenance. The hotel was just purchased a few months back and will be closing for a major top to bottom renovation and converting into a Four Seasons. She was a bit frayed around the edges when we were there in June and I would wait until the renovation is complete before I stayed there. 

Also consider the Bauer Palazzo. It's on the Grand Canal a few steps from San Marco.  It has a spectacular terrace on the canal. But check the room descriptions, the views range from Grand Canal  to air shafts between buildings.  The same is true for other 5 stars on the canal.

41 minutes ago, marazul said:

Also consider the Bauer Palazzo. It's on the Grand Canal a few steps from San Marco.  It has a spectacular terrace on the canal. But check the room descriptions, the views range from Grand Canal  to air shafts between buildings.  The same is true for other 5 stars on the canal.

Also closing this month for a much needed renovation-- will return as the Rosewood Hotel Venice. 

I had to look at the St. Regis location as it has changed.  One of my Butlers at the St. Regis I worked at  came to us to train to be a Butler for the newly-opening SR that was on one of the islands.   I knew that one closed due to lack of business, but I didn't realize they moved.  Where is it now is what was the old Westin Regina & Europa.  I stayed there years ago on points when it was the Westin.  It is actually a good location.  Away from noise, but easy walking to St. Marks.   I'd love to go back there just to see the changes they made.  I had a room up on the top, just a normal room.  BUT, it had a door that opened up to the rooftop.  Got some nice photos from there!

21 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I didn't realize they moved.  Where is it now is what was the old Westin Regina & Europa.  I stayed there years ago on points when it was the Westin.  It is actually a good location.  Away from noise, but easy walking to St. Marks.   I'd love to go back there just to see the changes they made.

Great location and they really did a fantastic job renovating the old Europa & Regina. That being said it is VERY modern by Venice standards and is a bit stark to me. It doesn't have the same sense of place that a lot of other hotels in its category in the city do. 

The rooms are wonderfully appointed (again, very modern and minimalist) and I think they told me they have the most balconies of any 5 star hotel in Venice (we were fortunate enough to get upgraded to a canal facing one for a quick one night stay). 

For the same amount of money you would pay at the St Regis I much prefer the Gritti Palace. You are still in the Marriott Bonvoy ecosystem and the Gritti makes you feel as though you are in an authentic/historic Venetian palace whereas the decor of the St Regis could be at any top hotel in any major city. 

4 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Great location and they really did a fantastic job renovating the old Europa & Regina. That being said it is VERY modern by Venice standards and is a bit stark to me. It doesn't have the same sense of place that a lot of other hotels in its category in the city do. 

The rooms are wonderfully appointed (again, very modern and minimalist) and I think they told me they have the most balconies of any 5 star hotel in Venice (we were fortunate enough to get upgraded to a canal facing one for a quick one night stay). 

For the same amount of money you would pay at the St Regis I much prefer the Gritti Palace. You are still in the Marriott Bonvoy ecosystem and the Gritti makes you feel as though you are in an authentic/historic Venetian palace whereas the decor of the St Regis could be at any top hotel in any major city. 

Sometimes I get tired of "authentic" when I travel.  And I do like modern, just not cookie cutter.  I could never afford either one (OR the Danieli) unless I used points.  Those are what we called "aspirational" properties - people use points and not pay for the most part.  And, the property loses money in the process.  Marriott pays very meager for a points stay vs money stay.  At my St, Regis, we would be full of points people over the holidays in the Winter and it kill our profit.  

I have to admit it, I do like a historic hotel and/or one with what I call character. In some places I even feel a tiny bit of wear (but not tear) is almost preferable to "shiny and new".  

But then I always tend to have one foot in the past anyway....

unless you are willing to spend hundreds of dollars on water taxis and porter services OR you are traveling without luggage I would stay outside of Venice. Mestre has a ton of hotels with many right next to bus stop that drops you off in transport hub of Venice in 5-7 minutes and then you waltz to vaporetto to enjoy the city. Seeing people dragging their suitcases in Venice is painful. Just my 0.02 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tunafish said:

unless you are willing to spend hundreds of dollars on water taxis and porter services OR you are traveling without luggage I would stay outside of Venice. Mestre has a ton of hotels with many right next to bus stop that drops you off in transport hub of Venice in 5-7 minutes and then you waltz to vaporetto to enjoy the city. Seeing people dragging their suitcases in Venice is painful. Just my 0.02 

With research it is perfectly possible, as I wrote in my first post above, to find a hotel that is near a vaporetto or alilaguna stop, which means there is very little dragging of suitcases. I've stayed in Venice at least 6 times and have never used a water taxi...

I know it doesn't matter to some, but I want to be IN the place I am visiting, not a bus or train + vaporetto ride away.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, tunafish said:

Completely disagree.  Staying in Mestre is akin to visiting NYC and staying in Newark!  There are plenty of options in Venice and one does not need to use water taxis.  In fact, in more than a dozen visits to Venice (often for multiple nights) we have never hired a water taxi.  As has been suggested, we choose hotels (often prefer a smaller Inn) located near a major vaporetto stop.  

Hank

• Like 3