Trip Report Viking Rhine Getaway 10/26 - 11/4. Amsterdam to Basel with extension

GoGAdawgsWin

Just returned from a great trip on the Viking Sigrun from Amsterdam to Basel.  Booked last spring on the $1999 25th anniversary special that included air and drinks package.  With date change, Air+ and deviation we ended up around $2,350 each on the base cost.

Flew non-stop from ATL to AMS on Delta.  Flight was good.  Got bags and through immigration and met by Viking rep who got us on the bus to boat in about 15 minutes.  We were at boat about 10:45 and went to lunch around 11:00 then to our rooms.  We had Anne Frank house tickets for 1:00 so we walked from dock to the house.  Very moving tour.  After we got on canal boat tour right in front $15 each for one hour tour.  Walked back to boat right as it was getting dark.  After all the welcome aboard activities and dinner we were ready for bed.

We did all the included tours each day.  We did the optional Colmar Village tour that was good mostly due to the guides knowledge of it’s WW2 impact.

In Basel we took van to train station, stored luggage and took train to Lucerne.  Got tickets there for train and cogwell to Mt Pilatus.  About $70 each but was worth it.  Clouds cleared and we had great views of area.  Dinner on lake and spent night.  Walked around next morning and took early afternoon train back t Basel.  Took street car downtown.  Had a great dinner in local place.  Spent night and left early next morning for airport and home.  Check in at BSL was quick as was flight to Paris-CDG.  About 3.5 hour layover and back to Atlanta.

Thoughts -

At end of trip we were tired.  We’re 64 and 61 and had been walking 2-3 miles a day in preparation but needed more.  Next time I would arrive a couple of days early and see that city and fly home immediately after cruise.  We didn’t really give Lucerne and Basel enough effort.

Viking delivered every where they said they would.  Drinks package was generous and rarely did they even ask what room.  I sampled many drinks from the menu and all the beers.  Food was good and plentiful.  Program Director Chris was funny and made sure everyone was where they needed to be.  Captain Harm was friendly and fun.  Ship was in good shape.  

We used Schwab checking ATM card to pull EUROs and Swiss Francs at no fee.  Exchange rate was right at $1-$1.  No need to pay fees or unfavorable rates getting from your bank before hand.

Didn’t need coins for toilets as most were free or had tap to pay with credit card.  

We really appreciate all the help from these boards and especially @notamermaid.  Beautiful countries, friendly people and great time.

This was a bit rambling but wanted to get while it was fresh.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GoGAdawgsWin said:

Didn’t need coins for toilets as most were free or had tap to pay with credit card.

This is great news!  Needing a supply of Euro coins (especially when the charge was only 50p to pee) has been the biggest hassle of European travel [since the Schengen zone and the Eurozone eliminated the old big hassles!]

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your trip report. We are leaving Thursday for the same Viking itinerary  any thoughts on clothing? Looks like daytime highs in the low 50s for us, don’t know if I need a heavier winter jacket or whether a lightweight jacket is OK. Thanks!

Layers.  If you can work your lightweight jacket so you can have a fleece under it, and maybe a vest over, is what i go with.

With the temperature fluctuations from morning to afternoon, on a bus to walking for an hour then into a museum, it’s nice to be able to take layers off as needed.  Heavy coat, on /off, zipped up or down. Limited options.

And i love my lightweight wool scarf.  Best Scotland souvenir ever.

My best find ever and now getting a bit tatty, silk leggins and silk lacy edged vest. These have seen me through Winter Camp (Girl Guide), the coldest river cruise start ever, early April when the side canals were still frozen in Amsterdam and Scotland in November, the Cairngorms take no prisoners. If you can find them very thin very light and so so comfortable.