Pacific Rim Thread and Suggestions

Lonedaddy

20 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

I think you missed my point.  I love Asian food and eat it frequently.  I like all of it spicy,  not spicy, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Indian, etc.  For example, the duck entree was over cooked and dry and quite a few folks in this discussion mention that dish as a problem.  That is what needs to be fixed.   Both times we ate in PR, the service was just Ok,  not up to the level as the other restaurant,  that needs polishing.  Mind you we did a champagne tasting in PR and that food was wonderful!   I would love to see some of those dishes added to the menu.   

Actually, I like my duck medium at most, and prefer it medium rare. I cook it at home, and often leave it rare before it rests. And i will admit that after trying duck entrees in most of the restaurants on Regent in the past, I didn't order any duck on our B2B Splendor cruise because I expected it to be well done. That might work in a spring roll, or a dumpling, but not much else.

I would also love to see some of the dishes from the wine lunch that we enjoyed added to the regular menu at PR. It was the same Chef that prepared it. But I think that there are many people onboard that would have found some of those dishes to be beyond what they were comfortable with ordering.

IMO the Sashimi was a very poor quality.  It was obviously frozen and had a mealy texture. The fish was nothing special (just look at the color of the Tuna)

The menu says Sushi.  But what was served were all rolls.  Fairly tasteless or overwhelmed by the sauce and ingredients on top -- just plain YUCK.  Maybe I am a purest.

Did enjoy the Pad Thai, as I asked for its special with chicken and Thai hot.

IMG_2933.jpg

IMG_2934.jpg

2 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

IMO the Sashimi was a very poor quality.  It was obviously frozen and had a mealy texture. The fish was nothing special (just look at the color of the Tuna)

The menu says Sushi.  But what was served were all rolls.  Fairly tasteless or overwhelmed by the sauce and ingredients on top -- just plain YUCK.  Maybe I am a purest.

Did enjoy the Pad Thai, as I asked for its special with chicken and Thai hot.

IMG_2933.jpg

IMG_2934.jpg

All raw fish served anywhere has been previously frozen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Yep.  It's a health requirement.  That's true of the meat as well, I believe.  Too bad, but it is what it is.

We've sailed on SeaDream several times in the Caribbean. On our cruise last March, they had a special that they were recommending; John Dory (or St. Peter's fish). We tried it, and it was not edible. The head chef tasted it, and agreed. He pulled it from the menu, and said they would be throwing the rest away. The chef apologized to us every time he saw us after that, which was often. Since we were onboard for 2 weeks, and this happened near the beginning of the cruise, we eventually felt embarrassed about that we had complained, but it really was terrible. The chef also told us that they were not allowed to have any fresh fish onboard. And to make their life easier with officials, they were being stocked with fish that isn't available fresh in the Caribbean since they could more easily prove that their fish was not freshly caught.

We're able to buy vacuum sealed fresh salmon in Florida, that's sourced from Norway or Chile, depending on the time of year, and we enjoy it, but I wouldn't eat it raw. Our kitchen, however,  isn't regulated and inspected the way the are on cruise ships.