Trip report - Meraviglia 11/3 - 11/6 from Port Canaveral

tbmrt

Posting my informal review of our MSC Meraviglia cruise November 3rd to 6th to Bahamas from Port Canaveral.

Bottom line in my opinion…The ship is gorgeous and the shows were fantastic.  Definitely would like to cruise on her again.  However, there were many issues during our stay which need to be straightened out before I book another Meraviglia cruise.  

Thursday, 10/13, boarded at 10 AM our assigned boarding time..only a half an hour to get onboard..Boarding times were not checked.  I read later that it took two ours to get onboard when they arrived at their 1:30 assigned time.

The safety drill started out easy…Watch a video on TV, dial a number on the phone afterward.  Then an announcement was made asking us to head down to our designation stations where they clicked on your cruise card. It was overly crowded and very disorganized with people heading in many different directions. When we got back to cabin that evening I found a note saying we did not do safety check in. Called and told them we did it.  All then okay.  

Good mattress, pillows and cabin décor. We did not see our cabin steward from start to finish on this cruise, but the room was kept clean and items I requested with a note were taken care of (extra roll of toilet paper, hangers, ice, etc.) The only things we never received were tissues and washcloths. He never showed up to introduce himself or say goodbye (pick up tip). Enough space in cabin and bathroom for our 3 night cruise, but think I’d have a hard time for a 7 night or more cruise.

Our TA asked if we wanted to book the drink package and internet when we booked the cruise, but did not tell us that we could not buy it onboard.  So we decided to wait til we boarded.  Error…Although MSC informed me, our friends and others we spoke with that we could buy our drink package onboard, when we boarded we were told that starting with our cruise MSC would no longer sell drink packages on 3 night cruises. The staff told people that this was due to staffing issues and that MSC was testing this system on the Meraviglia and Divina.

This new test program was really upsetting to many people since there was no advance notice and we didn’t have a choice now except to pay for our drinks, espresso, water, soda, etc. at regular prices. It really added up and people were complaining about this. 

The ship rocked quite a bit which was surprising since the seas seemed pretty calm.  I’ve never experienced this on other ships we’ve cruised on unless we went through bad weather.  Not a big deal to us, but others really complained about this.

Our original fixed dinner time assignment was 7:45. Our cruise card stated 9 PM which was much too late for us. I went to the maitre’d and changed us to 8 pm which was fine. We arrived at our table and the location was awful. We were right behind the checkin desk.  No waiter for about 45 mins.  When he arrived he did not even introduce himself. The assistant, bread and butter server, was very rude the first night.  She told me twice that i need to be patient.  Had given us 2 pieces of butter for 4 people which we didn’t get until about a half hour later.   I asked for ice when I first ordered my drink and had to ask her twice for it.  Finished my wine by the time she got it to me. The food in dining room and buffet were "OK" but surely not impressive. Lots of variety though at the buffet and dinner.

We went to the internet desk to purchase our package. The girl was very confused and it took her very long to set up our 2 phones.  Felt bad for the people behind us in what became a pretty long line. I was told to go to the photo booth if we needed help with internet, but the line was fully packed.  We figured out the internet system ourselves.

The Welcome Aboard party by the pool was excellent as was the Houdini show and 2 main shows that we saw.  We loved the Sky Lounge ambiance with before dinner nuts and a few canapes.

There was plenty of seating in buffet and at pools during the day.  The dome shows were very nice, especially the one when we were leaving that showed the staff waving goodbye.  Also loved silent disco.

Service drastically improved with the same waiter and assistant we had the first night.  There were many empty tables and we were told that many people went to the buffet because of the service they received the first night.  Still “all business” and no other conversation.

The main shows were excellent,  One More Time and Born to Rock. The White Party was great. MSC had two “extra cost” shows in a lounge.  We booked these before we boarded. The Houdini Show was good.  We were looking forward to the Born to Rock show the next night, but an announcement was made that the Rock Circus and Houdini shows that were paid for were canceled due to technical difficulties. We asked at Guest Services about our refund and was told that the charge would be put back on our credit card…We’ll see.

Perfect day at Ocean Cay..Great weather, lots of chairs, many free umbrellas if you get to Lighthouse Beach early; water comfortable; snorkeling decent at Lighthouse Beach by the rocks on both sides.  Sunset Beach was extremely rocky when you entered the water.  Two people fell down. 

The bars on Ocean Cay were packed and it was sometimes hard to get a drink.  The beer was warm and they ran out of glasses. They really needed more bartenders.  The buffet line was long so we just grabbed burgers and hot dogs at food truck.  They were also okay. The Lagoon Beach much too crowded so we passed on that.  There was a fun party at 4 pm by Lighthouse Beach.

Stayed on ship the day in Nassau enjoying the sun.  Hubby worked out in the gym which was excellent.

We walked our luggage off the ship at around 7:30 AM…Long, winding line, but it moved quickly.  Love Port Canaveral!

I think I'd like to take a 7 night cruise on Meraviglia but hope they are a bit more organized when I do so. I think many of their problems were due to understaffing or lack of training.  Felt sorry for the overworked staff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for  the report.  We embark on a 4 night this Sunday.  I guess the drink package rule wouldn't apply to our sailing but I would be annoyed if I boarded thinking I was going to buy one and then finding out that I couldn't.  Just wondering what the advantage is for people to wait to purchase once on board?

Glad you enjoyed the shows as I was wondering what the entertainment quality would be like for shorter sailings.  Like you, we will probably not get off the ship in Nassau.  Any ideas on how many passengers were on your sailing?

We embark on the 17th. Thanks for the report. It seems things have improved since that first sailing after the TA, but not as much as I would’ve hoped for.  We booked the promo with the drink package, but we have never had a drink package before. We normally have three or less drinks a day and never buy special coffee drinks. 

On board right now on a 7-day and have heard that the passenger count is only 1800ish, online for anything and easy to get reservations. Then again, I’m in the YC Sony experience may be different. Service, food, and experience have all been impeccable so far! Might have ruined all other forms of cruising for me! 

• Like 2

Had similar issues on the Seashore in August on my first MSC cruise we. Chaotic free for all on the halls with everyone going to their safety stations all at once instead of waiting their turn. We had a nice spot at Ocean Cay but the rocks made getting in the water dangerous.

Crazy long lines at the bars also, unorganized, warm drinks, and they also ran out of glasses at the bar closest to our spot.

We had various other issues that affected our cruise but nothing too bad. We were at over 5000 passengers.

We are currently on Meraviglia, Yacht Club, first time, and things have gone well. It is very apparent that the ship is nowhere near capacity. However, we have been told that Yacht Club is almost full. I would not want to do less than a 7 days, therefore cruising less. We have found that no matter the cruise line, the 3 day cruises are often a gaggle.  

• Thanks 1

On 11/7/2022 at 9:48 PM, LatinaInTexas said:

Had similar issues on the Seashore in August on my first MSC cruise we. Chaotic free for all on the halls with everyone going to their safety stations all at once instead of waiting their turn. We had a nice spot at Ocean Cay but the rocks made getting in the water dangerous.

Crazy long lines at the bars also, unorganized, warm drinks, and they also ran out of glasses at the bar closest to our spot.

We had various other issues that affected our cruise but nothing too bad. We were at over 5000 passengers.

It seems that the problems experienced were on ships that were full.  We were at 4900 11/3 3 nighter. I've been reading that cruises with less passenger went well.  Hoping that MSC will solve this problem.