Rotterdam Aft-facing Cabins

CruisingAndDiving

Hey everyone. 

Looking to book Rotterdam for December 2023 and wondering if anyone here has experience with the aft-facing cabins?  Particularly interested in the ones on Navigation deck (non Neptune suite ones)

Really looking at 8203 of that helps and if anyone has pictures of those balconies, can you post one or two please?

Cheers!

Warren

31 minutes ago, CruisingAndDiving said:

Hey everyone. 

Looking to book Rotterdam for December 2023 and wondering if anyone here has experience with the aft-facing cabins?  Particularly interested in the ones on Navigation deck (non Neptune suite ones)

Really looking at 8203 of that helps and if anyone has pictures of those balconies, can you post one or two please?

Cheers!

Warren

We have been on her twice in aft cabins!  Remember 8 is right under the lido deck!  Could be noisy!   Plus you want a cabin in the middle as it’s a bit larger!  We were on 5 once and I think 7!   Loved it!

• Like 1

I love aft cabins.  I have never been bothered by the noise.   They pick up the pool lounge chairs before you go to bed and set them back up in the morning.  It is not like being under the Lido Restaurant with carts rolling early in the morning and late at night.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, 0106 said:

I love aft cabins.  I have never been bothered by the noise.   They pick up the pool lounge chairs before you go to bed and set them back up in the morning.  It is not like being under the Lido Restaurant with carts rolling early in the morning and late at night.  

Aft in the main dining room & sometimes even on deck 9 there will be a very noticeable vibration at times. Do you feel this in aft cabins? Also, how about noise from the ship wake, which is very noticeable on deck 3?

1 hour ago, glutenhab said:

Aft in the main dining room & sometimes even on deck 9 there will be a very noticeable vibration at times. Do you feel this in aft cabins? Also, how about noise from the ship wake, which is very noticeable on deck 3?

Another vote for aft-facing staterooms and their ideal photo opportunities.

Since the thrusters are directly below, vibration in aft staterooms is felt when the ship is nudging sideways into/from a pier.  It is my experience that this vibration happens for several minutes and not during hours when passengers are sleeping.  I am always on my balcony watching the delicate maneuvers so the noise does not bother me.

The sound of the wake makes the most soothing sleeping atmosphere possible.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Another vote for aft-facing staterooms and their ideal photo opportunities.

Since the thrusters are directly below, vibration in aft staterooms is felt when the ship is nudging sideways into/from a pier.  It is my experience that this vibration happens for several minutes and not during hours when passengers are sleeping.  I am always on my balcony watching the delicate maneuvers so the noise does not bother me.

The sound of the wake makes the most soothing sleeping atmosphere possible.

From my experience, vibration, sometimes fairly heavy, is a common occurrence in the MDR. This would be my main concern with these rooms.

Wake noise would also worry me. I like quiet.

1 hour ago, glutenhab said:

vibration, sometimes fairly heavy, is a common occurrence in the MDR. This would be my main concern with these rooms.

I have not felt vibration when eating in the main dining room.  I have felt the ship rocking because of high waves.  I have heard some creaking because of high waves.  I agree with @Crew News the only time I have felt vibration was when thrusters were used when docking.  

I love the sound of the sea.  It is early in the morning; I am currently sitting on the quiet aft deck of the Oosterdam.  I cannot hear the wake.  I don’t ever remember hearing  it inside a deck 8 aft cabin.

5 hours ago, glutenhab said:

From my experience, vibration, sometimes fairly heavy, is a common occurrence in the MDR. This would be my main concern with these rooms.

For many people, the sound of the wake is one of the main draws. For some (like us) is in incredible soothing to listen to on the balcony, sadly though, can't hear it in the room. 

• Like 3

Currently on the Oosterdam and was seated in the Deck 2 MDR on a banquet seat bench while my wife sat in a chair the other night. I can usually tolerate vibration but this was terrible. It seems chairs do not transmit as much vibration. The port side azipod sounded as if it had a flat tire due to the condition of the seas.

Years ago my berthing was aft when I was in the USCG so I am familiar with cavitation. For those days I didn't have a choice but now I do. Ships with traditional shaft driven propellers seem to exhibit less vibration IMO.

Edited by Heartgrove

12 minutes ago, 0106 said:

@Heartgrove Do you think the vibration is as bad on the higher decks? I haven’t noticed on deck 9 during this sailing.

No it doesn't seem worse than usual after sailing on other Pinnacle, Signature, and Vista class ships on the upper decks. The rolling seas that we are currently experiencing does play a part. But the bench is bolted to the deck in the MDR. I am going to avoid them from now on.

We also are just off of a MSC ship a week ago with shaft driven propellers so my comparison is pretty fresh whereas my Veendam cruise. not so fresh, and was seven years ago. The MSC ship has an entirely different deck layout as well.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone for thoughts on the aft cabin choice.

DW and I have had aft cabins on RCL in the past and loved them.  As many suggested, sitting on the balcony and listening to the wake with a nice scotch is perfect for us!  Neither of us is bothered by extra motion so that's also a big draw.

The only thing holding me back right now from booking that cabin is that my 81 year old Mom might join us this cruise.  If that happens then we need to look at something more midship to reduce extra walking for her.

Warren

We had an aft balcony just under the pool deck on the Westerdam this past summer. In the main DR there was a lot of vibration at the back of the room, but much less on deck 8 where our balcony was. Not sure if it was because we were up away from engines or what, but very nice on deck 8. Loved it.

• Like 1

We will be on the Rotterdam for three weeks this  winter. Aft cabin on Deck 6. Am looking forward to it. No matter how pronounced the vibration is, it will be nothing compared to being on the stern of an aircraft carrier. And the view will be grand. 

• Like 2