Polar opposites, I know...Balcony L105/M105 or D729 Majestic

WaggesAZ

We're booked on an Alaskan sailing at the beginning of August.  We have ALWAYS loved aft cabins, but my girlfriend said that the forward mini-suite cabin has a great layout and that the balcony is definitely useable on either the Marina or Lido Forward Balconies while underway.  My husband said it will be too cold and very windy to enjoy cruising through Glacier Bay or while underway in general. Since the sailing has 3 sea days, using the balcony is a must.  Does anyone have any experience in the forward cabins, especially on Alaska cruises.  We are currently in D729, and I would hate to give up what we know and regret taking a chance...Thanks for any insight you can share.

Maybe I'm just missing a vital clue...but are the forward cabins you speak of "forward facing"?  If so, yes it will be rather windy during "normal" sailing but while in Glacier Bay should be VERY nice since the ship slows down to a crawl.  You would have very nice views of the glaciers.

29 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Maybe I'm just missing a vital clue...but are the forward cabins you speak of "forward facing"?  If so, yes it will be rather windy during "normal" sailing but while in Glacier Bay should be VERY nice since the ship slows down to a crawl.  You would have very nice views of the glaciers.

Yes!  Forward facing here's a photo I found of the sister ship https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/majestic-princess-987/member-3/127000/

Here is a video of the layout of those forward facing, unique layout mini suites.

I have no experience, but I could see how that would be really neat sailing Glacier Bay!

Any other sea days that have glacier viewing would be stopping at the Glacier.  But, the speed while underway might be a factor when not stopping for scenic viewing.

I think the layout is fine, if there are just two.  But, not as much private area for a third, as the sofa is directly across from the foot of the bed.

Of course, you would have the wake-view in the Aft Deluxe Balcony, for viewing while departing, and not approaching.  And there would not be the metal balcony, that are necessary on front facing balconies.

Decisions, Decisions!

I’d have to vote foe the aft facing cabin.  We were at a friend’s sail-away party on a few occasions in M108.  While that balcony is amazing, there were a few times it was just way too windy.  
We’ve never gotten that on our aft facing balconies while up in Alaska.  
I’d stick with what you have (D729) but also understand we are all different in what we like.  We were in B737 on a sister ship up in Alaska .. amazing views and no wind whatsoever.  

I would go for the forward facing mini like a shot. We were on the Discovery in August, in M107, which is a different layout but has part of its extra large balcony facing the front. I was definitely able to sit out on the forward portion of the balcony during fjord day. It does get pretty windy when the ship's at some speed going from one place to another.

One thing to be aware of that won't keep us from booking a cabin in that location in the future is the fact that if it's foggy and the fog horn is sounding, you really hear that sucker.  

I appreciate your responses!  It sounds like I am right where I thought I'd be...The forward facing Balcony would be great for port stops and likely glacier bay but may be too cold/windy on the other sea days...We know we love aft, so I think we'll stay put!  Thank you all so much!

• Like 1