September Alaska Cruise: what to expect with weather in September?

swdke

My brother and his wife have already booked an Alaska cruise departing around September 9 from Vancouver, up to Whittier and then doing the Train tour up to Fairbanks.  They want us to join them.  All sounds wonderful, but I'm cautious about going in September.  I wish they would have selected a summer month like June or July.  Don't mind cooler weather, but not keen on getting a lot of rain, especially with the idea of spending so much money for possible poor weather.  Anyhow, wondering what others have experienced with September weather.  Thanks so much.

Two Alaska cruises, one in early September and the other in late August, pretty much the same time of the year. Further north we went was Glacier Bay. The September cruise we got rain, drizzle and fog sometime during each day. The temps were moderate. The August cruise was just the opposite, sunny and a little warmer. Rained only one day and that was in the morning in Skagway. As everyone says, be prepared for any kind of weather on an Alaskan cruise. 

2 hours ago, swdke said:

My brother and his wife have already booked an Alaska cruise departing around September 9 from Vancouver, up to Whittier and then doing the Train tour up to Fairbanks.  They want us to join them.  All sounds wonderful, but I'm cautious about going in September.  I wish they would have selected a summer month like June or July.  Don't mind cooler weather, but not keen on getting a lot of rain, especially with the idea of spending so much money for possible poor weather.  Anyhow, wondering what others have experienced with September weather.  Thanks so much.

You have no guarantees for weather, especially in Alaska. Have completed 2 full seasons in Alaska and in September, 1 week we could have blue skies and the next week 70 kt storms.

My experience for Alaska in September included lots of sales while both ashore and in the ship Shops. 

It also includes 98 MPH typhoon winds from the Pacific whenever the ship was not sheltered by the Inside Passage islands.  There was lots of rain, fog, and much fewer daylight hours that affected all excursions.

Despite the less than favorable weather, it is salmon-run time which means bears and eagles are active.  September also brings cheaper Alaska cruise and plane fares.  I would not hesitate to return in September.

While no one can predict the weather conditions be prepared for heavy rain and rough seas.  And if you luck out had have lovely weather be happy.

For the family members heading to Fairbanks, they will arrive during our aurora season.  Are they considering a visit to Chena Hot Springs Resort?

We have gone the last week of august into the first week of September and this year we did September 5-16. We had really incredible weather both times. This year, we had little rain, temps were in the mid 50s. It was cold near Hubbard Glacier but otherwise, a light jacket with long sleeves under it was all I needed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 11:10 PM, Northern Aurora said:

While no one can predict the weather conditions be prepared for heavy rain and rough seas.  And if you luck out had have lovely weather be happy.

For the family members heading to Fairbanks, they will arrive during our aurora season.  Are they considering a visit to Chena Hot Springs Resort?

I think my brother and his wife were aware of the Chena Hot Springs, and may have already purchased their return flights.  However, I have not, an I am interested in spending an extra day or so and overnight at the Chena Hot springs.  How is the weather/Aurora viewing from Chena Hot Springs in later September.  Any other suggestions if we were to add an extra night or two on our own after the Princess land tour concluding in Fairbanks with what to see and do either at the hot springs, or Fairbanks area?  Thanks.

17 minutes ago, swdke said:

I think my brother and his wife were aware of the Chena Hot Springs, and may have already purchased their return flights.  However, I have not, an I am interested in spending an extra day or so and overnight at the Chena Hot springs.  How is the weather/Aurora viewing from Chena Hot Springs in later September.  Any other suggestions if we were to add an extra night or two on our own after the Princess land tour concluding in Fairbanks with what to see and do either at the hot springs, or Fairbanks area?  Thanks.

You could rent a car and drive the haul road.  Just don't rent from a standard rental place such as Hertz.  There are places in Fairbanks that rent cars that let you drive the haul road. 

https://www.travelalaska.com/Explore-Alaska/Itineraries/Dalton_Highway_Road_Trip_from_Fairbanks

https://www.arcticgetaway.com/travel/dalton-highway/

It is a great drive and you will have great bragging rights over your AK-visiting friends who are scared to do the drive.  You can even stay overnight there.  When we did it a few years ago we stayed in a B&B in Wiseman.  Don't know if it is still open - https://www.google.com/search?q=wiseman+alaska+lodging&oq=wiseman+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i67j46i67j0i67j0i131i433i512j0i512j0i3j0i512j46i512j0i131i433.4355j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

DON