Would there be enough time for a day trip into Haiti?

Davechipp74

First some context,

On an upcoming solo cruise I dock at Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. Haiti being right there is very intriguing, having over 10+ years in the military (4 in USMC, 5+ in private military's  {think Blackwater}) I feel it would be comfortable. I have traveled solo to level 4 advisory countries before (Algeria, Yemen) Haiti is about level 3 right now, I booked this cruise because leaves the day after my birthday, and I love cruising the Caribbean, however I've never been in such close proximity to Haiti. I feel it would be an awesome excursion, this is my first resource into this question because I've been all over these boards the last few days. Respectfully I'm bringing this question across several different types of boards.  

• 3 weeks later...

You might want to post on tripadvisor for more information. I spent a summer in Haiti back when it was a safe little (but still very poor) country. It is beautiful and I can understand your desire to visit. I'm not sure that day tripping from a cruise ship is your best option however. There are so many incidentals that can interfere in any border crossing in a not particularly friendly area. The ship leave time is non-negotiable so if you're even five minutes late you've missed it. Plus, I'd assume the area of Haiti just over the border would be exactly like the  Dominican Republic in that area. To see Haiti you need to be able to travel Haiti.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 1:36 PM, DAVECHIPP1974 said:

Haiti is about level 3 right now

The advisory for Haiti is now level 4, Do Not Travel .

"Do not travel to Haiti due to kidnapping, crime, and civil unrest. U.S. citizens should depart Haiti now in light of the current security and health situation and infrastructure challenges. U.S. citizens wishing to depart Port-au-Prince should monitor local news and only do so when considered safe."

On 11/14/2022 at 1:36 PM, DAVECHIPP1974 said:

however I've never been in such close proximity to Haiti.

Puerto Plata not that close to Haiti. Looks to be a 3 to 4 hour drive to the Haitian border, and who knows what might be there . 

How would you get to Haiti? Do you really think a rental car company is going to allow you to drive one of their vehicles into Haiti ?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, airbusdrvr said:

Just curious, why go and look for trouble while you’re on a cruise? There can’t be much legal monetary gain going to Haiti. Plus, you’re on your own with no backup resources, not smart.

I'm not looking for trouble or any type of monetary gain legal or otherwise, but simply a more adventurous excursion than a typical cruise itinerary I've been on a few times. I have a tremendous amount of experience as well as resources plenty of websites I would have used to arrange a fixer to travel throughout such places, in fact after 4+ years in the USMC with a few very dangerous deployments, I later joined a private military firm for even longer with more deployments to significantly more dangerous places. The biggest regrets I have  is after some research I've learned that I simply will not be in port long enough for said trip, and friends I have that would be willing to take such an excursion with me are few and scattered across the world. Cheers.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 1:36 PM, Davechipp74 said:

First some context,

On an upcoming solo cruise I dock at Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. Haiti being right there is very intriguing, having over 10+ years in the military (4 in USMC, 5+ in private military's  {think Blackwater}) I feel it would be comfortable. I have traveled solo to level 4 advisory countries before (Algeria, Yemen) Haiti is about level 3 right now, I booked this cruise because leaves the day after my birthday, and I love cruising the Caribbean, however I've never been in such close proximity to Haiti. I feel it would be an awesome excursion, this is my first resource into this question because I've been all over these boards the last few days. Respectfully I'm bringing this question across several different types of boards.  

Last thing I would ever consider. 

On 12/11/2022 at 4:11 PM, Davechipp74 said:

I'm not looking for trouble or any type of monetary gain legal or otherwise, but simply a more adventurous excursion than a typical cruise itinerary I've been on a few times. I have a tremendous amount of experience as well as resources plenty of websites I would have used to arrange a fixer to travel throughout such places, in fact after 4+ years in the USMC with a few very dangerous deployments, I later joined a private military firm for even longer with more deployments to significantly more dangerous places. The biggest regrets I have  is after some research I've learned that I simply will not be in port long enough for said trip, and friends I have that would be willing to take such an excursion with me are few and scattered across the world. Cheers.

Marines🙄

• Like 1