June. One way. Glaciar Bay. NCL, HA or Princess?

chabre

Hello.

I want to go to Alaska. One way, so we can do land.

Glacier bay is a must for us.

These are the only cruiselines that go to Glacier bay. Between Norwegian, Holland America and Princess, which one do you reccomend for Alaska?

We have been in Alaska some 15 years ago in Royal Caribbean. Also have cruised on NCL and Princess on other parts.

I enjoyed my Princess sailing in Alaska.Chose it for Glacier Bay. I am not a NCL girl, Celebrity is my line of choice so Princess was the best match for my vacation style. 

I'd look at all the port times for each sailing you're considering that includes GB and pick that one. 

Patty

• Like 1

Yes, port times are important, as well as other ports on the itinerary. Its possible the ship and it's amenities might be important as well. Those considerations are discussed here daily.

If you know NCL or Princess and are happy with their product, that should influence your decision, because we don't know you.

• Like 1

I enjoyed my holland america cruise. Do you like classical music? There is something called lincoln centre stage and they have a string quartet every night. I had trouble hearing the park rangers on deck. Not sure if it was bad speakers. I’ve never been on princess though.

• Like 1

We are doing a Northbound out of Vancouver to Seward in June on the Norwegian Jewel.  We have been on the Jewel and the Encore on Alaskan cruises and prefer the smaller size of the Jewel for the Alaska cruise.  We chose this cruise because it goes to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.  They are 2 of Alaska's best scenic areas in my opinion.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 7:27 PM, SkeeterPilot said:

We are doing a Northbound out of Vancouver to Seward in June on the Norwegian Jewel.  We have been on the Jewel and the Encore on Alaskan cruises and prefer the smaller size of the Jewel for the Alaska cruise.  We chose this cruise because it goes to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier.  They are 2 of Alaska's best scenic areas in my opinion.

Thats one option, the Jewel in June.

On 11/15/2022 at 10:25 AM, chabre said:

Hello.

I want to go to Alaska. One way, so we can do land.

Glacier bay is a must for us.

These are the only cruiselines that go to Glacier bay. Between Norwegian, Holland America and Princess, which one do you reccomend for Alaska?

We have been in Alaska some 15 years ago in Royal Caribbean. Also have cruised on NCL and Princess on other parts.

Not quite right.  Note this from the NPS Glacier Bay site -

Cruise Ships

Viking
Cunard
Holland America Line
Norwegian Cruise Lines
Princess Cruise Lines
Seabourn Cruise Line Limited

Tour Vessels

Alaska Dream Cruises
American Cruise Lines, Inc
Aramark Sports and Entertainment Services, LLC
Lindblad Expeditions, Inc.
Un-Cruise Adventures

DON

18 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Not quite right.  Note this from the NPS Glacier Bay site -

Cruise Ships

Viking
Cunard
Holland America Line
Norwegian Cruise Lines
Princess Cruise Lines
Seabourn Cruise Line Limited

Tour Vessels

Alaska Dream Cruises
American Cruise Lines, Inc
Aramark Sports and Entertainment Services, LLC
Lindblad Expeditions, Inc.
Un-Cruise Adventures

DON

Hi Don.

NPS says that. But for 2023 itineraries, I dont find any itinerary with Glacier Bay on Viking, Cunard or Seabourn. And Cunard only have round trip cruises, Seabourn have some one way, but only up to Juneau. 

Have been on one way cruises on all three of these lines:  NCL, HAL and Princess.  I think both HAL and Princess do a great job in Alaska—enrichment programs, food and drink specials, Alaskan music, art and culture, naturalists on board.  Princess did bring sled dog puppies on board so there is that….😁

Least favorite was NCL—not much done to enhance your Alaskan cruise.  Other than Glacier Bay, you could have been on a Caribbean cruise.

• Like 1

We've been to Alaska on both Princess and HAL.

We thoroughly both but found the enrichment program on Princess much more extensive. That's a big plus for us.

We felt HAL did a better job with both food and service in the main dining room, but Princess had a clear advantage in the other dining venues.

If you're planning to book the land portion through the cruise line (cruise tour), we felt Princess had the edge on that also. Both lines used their own lodges, and we liked the Princess ones better. Shore excursions and other optional activities (both on land portion and while on cruise) are very comparable.

You really can't go wrong with either one. We're going back a third time this summer using HAL because that's the preference of others in our group. On our own we would definitely choose Princess.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, maggiev said:

I am looking at Alaska Cruisetours 2024 and they all seem to use older ships. Is this an issue? https://boards.cruisecritic.com/profile/1003854-mehroswitha/ You say Princess but the Grand gets poor reviews. 
The older ship thing is giving me stress 

I was on the Grand last Christmas. It was fine.

I was on the Grand last Christmas and then again for a B2B Alaska in June. She is in fine shape and a good choice for Alaska. She has a covered pool and a full promenade deck. Also lots of viewing areas without having to look thru glass.