Royal Caribbean Injury Escalation

maria5309

I just came back from a cruise last week on Royal Caribbean. My grandmother was severely injured on the cruise ship (not her fault) and is currently in the hospital about to get major surgery as a result. We have cruised with Royal for 25 years and absolutely love them but I am sadly disappointed in the way things have been handled. I was on the phone for 3 hours today with the post cruise guest complaint dept and got no where. I was essentially told that the process for someone “complaining” about a life threatening injury onboard is the same as someone who was dissatisfied with their service experience. I asked what the timeline of their complaint process would be and the person said we don’t have one. I asked when someone would call me back and she said I had to call them back. The rep said I will be the one handling your case and said okay what’s your direct extension? She said I don’t have one, just call this number back and someone will assist you. I said ma’am this is the general number and I waited 40min before you came one the line. You’re telling me I would have to do this each time I call for a follow up and explain the situation all over again? She said yes because we do not have direct extensions. I asked too if there was a way to further escalate this and was told no and when I asked to speak to a supervisor, I waited 35 min and they said no one was available. Is there any other way to escalate a major concern for an onboard injury that could have been prevented? I googled guest escalations and have only seen the post cruise number which I called and some threads have shown Michael Bayleys email but no response for 2 weeks. I would appreciate any and all help.

Edited by maria5309
Typos

Yes, we have a medical report from the cruise line. I stopped doing travelers insurance last year when we lost out on our money having to cancel a cruise due to a death in the family and they refused to refund it even with medical docs for proof. I have not contacted an attorney yet as I was hoping to contact Royal first and get somewhere before taking that route. I was hoping someone would have an escalation option but if not, I have already researched Maritime attorney options. 

• Thanks 2

First, I wish your grandmother well and hope her surgery was successful.  

From my past experience in the hospitality industry, when there is a "guest incident" a report is completed with the guest, collecting information, stating the facts and noting guest statements as to what the guest said did happen.  The document was the hotel's record of the circumstances as reported.  The guest was NOT given a copy.  The guest was given information about the hotel's insurance claims process and there was never an admission of guilt.  The matter was handled by the insurance company who made all decisions.  Of course, at the time, if it were a medical emergency, 9-1-1 would be called.  But again, other than the incident report, it was "hands off" at the hotel level.  The point is that it was an insurance/legal matter NOT to involve the operations.  And while your situation was on a ship and subject to maritime law, I would imagine the same "hands off" applies to the operations side of this, which includes the toll free complaint line for post-cruise guests.

You were vague as to exactly how and what happened on board.  Did an "officer" or security collect information from you and then tell you the next steps?  

You also didn't state what your expectations are.  What is it that you want?  As you only mentioned that it wasn't your grandmother's fault, who do you believe was at fault?

As I reread your post, the only question for the board was is there any other way to escalate a major concern...

My suggestion is that you prepare a communication in writing and send it to RCI's corporate office addressed to The Office of the President and send it overnight so you have tracking information

Start by fully describing the situation, circumstances and what exactly happened to cause your grandmother to be involved.  Then describe the harm this caused to your grandmother and the resulting medical attention necessary.

Lastly, move on to exactly what it is that you want the cruise line to do for your grandmother.

Close by providing your contact information and request direct contact to at least acknowledge your correspondence, stating your method of contact (cell phone)

If there is a direct correlation between RCI and your grandmother's need for major surgery, then you should expect more than dealing with someone at a customer complaint line that handles calls about lumpy beds and terrible food on board. 

Edited by PWP-001
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

First, I wish your grandmother well and hope her surgery was successful.  

From my past experience in the hospitality industry, when there is a "guest incident" a report is completed with the guest, collecting information, stating the facts and noting guest statements as to what the guest said did happen.  The document was the hotel's record of the circumstances as reported.  The guest was NOT given a copy.  The guest was given information about the hotel's insurance claims process and there was never an admission of guilt.  The matter was handled by the insurance company who made all decisions.  Of course, at the time, if it were a medical emergency, 9-1-1 would be called.  But again, other than the incident report, it was "hands off" at the hotel level.  The point is that it was an insurance/legal matter NOT to involve the operations.  And while your situation was on a ship and subject to maritime law, I would imagine the same "hands off" applies to the operations side of this, which includes the toll free complaint line for post-cruise guests.

You were vague as to exactly how and what happened on board.  Did an "officer" or security collect information from you and then tell you the next steps?  

You also didn't state what your expectations are.  What is it that you want?  As you only mentioned that it wasn't your grandmother's fault, who do you believe was at fault?

As I reread your post, the only question for the board was is there any other way to escalate a major concern...

My suggestion is that you prepare a communication in writing and send it to RCI's corporate office addressed to The Office of the President and send it overnight so you have tracking information

Start by fully describing the situation, circumstances and what exactly happened to cause your grandmother to be involved.  Then describe the harm this caused to your grandmother and the resulting medical attention necessary.

Lastly, move on to exactly what it is that you want the cruise line to do for your grandmother.

Close by providing your contact information and request direct contact to at least acknowledge your correspondence, stating your method of contact (cell phone)

If there is a direct correlation between RCI and your grandmother's need for major surgery, then you should expect more than dealing with someone at a customer complaint line that handles calls about lumpy beds and terrible food on board. 

Thank you, this is what I was looking for. You’re correct, I did not include additional details because my objective here is to figure out if there is there any other way to escalate a major concern. I know guest complaints is not equipped to handle this type of concern. I will address a certified letter to the office of the president…thank you and thank you for your well wishes.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, maria5309 said:

Thank you, this is what I was looking for. You’re correct, I did not include additional details because my objective here is to figure out if there is there any other way to escalate a major concern. I know guest complaints is not equipped to handle this type of concern. I will address a certified letter to the office of the president…thank you and thank you for your well wishes.

I would not send a letter to corporate detailing what you want without consulting an attorney. If your grandmother is severely injured and needs surgery, you have no idea at this point what continued care she is going to need in the future. 

• Like 3

I hope your Grandmother's surgery is a success and has a speedy recovery.

If you are seeking compensation for her injury and believe her accident to be the fault of royal caribbean.  Then you definitely want to consult an Attorney.

Did medical onboard properly care for her?  Did they suggest evacuating her for this serious injury?

If it is a safety concern then I would reach out to their President and bring the safety issue to their attention.

Other than that I'm not sure what type of resolution you are seeking.   

45 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I would not send a letter to corporate detailing what you want without consulting an attorney. If your grandmother is severely injured and needs surgery, you have no idea at this point what continued care she is going to need in the future. 

Perhaps you overlooked how she wants to simply convey a major concern.

Not everyone is anxious to win the lottery litigiously. 

Perhaps you overlooked how she said her questions have been answered and she got the information she was looking for.  

It's better that she contact RCI directly first.  Based upon RCI's response she is then well prepared to seek legal counsel should she feel that need to do so since she would then have RCI's position on the matter as given in their reply to her initial contact.

27 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

Perhaps you overlooked how she said her questions have been answered and she got the information she was looking for.  

It's better that she contact RCI directly first.  Based upon RCI's response she is then well prepared to seek legal counsel should she feel that need to do so since she would then have RCI's position on the matter as given in their reply to her initial contact.

It was not overlooked as this was her request and we are reaching out to RC  because we are not looking to “to win the lottery litigiously”. Please do not assume

I'm missing something?  If you are severely injured on the ship, would you not be in the ships infirmary, and when at dock, taken to the hospital for follow-up care?  

Did the doctor on the ship, release her, improperly?

The word Severe in this case, seems to be an opinion.  You need to file a claim with the cruise line to they will handle it, but don't expect much, if you walked off the ship, without the assistance of medical. 

44 minutes ago, maria5309 said:

I had to revise what I put because I misread what you posted. Yes, you are correct, we are not looking to win the lottery litigiously. We simply want to escalate a major concern that could have been prevented. Thank you, you understood my initial request. 

1 hour ago, PWP-001 said:

21 minutes ago, maria5309 said:

This is exactly why I didn’t give details because I’m not looking for opinions. For this thread… I’m looking for a way to contact someone at RC with a major concern solely.

I think e-mailing the CEO and the executive team as previously suggested is the best way.  I've also found that the regular customer service line is inconsistent and probably not your best option.  I had a recent issue on another cruise line and it's all about getting to the right person before we had our issue resolved to our satisfaction.  It can be frustrating, it just takes time.  Ours was not injury related and was handled by myself and eventually someone from management in customer service department post cruise.

Without knowing all of the details, which I'd caution you to share anyways, it's hard to give any advice beyond that.  If it is a situation where a lawyer is consulted I guarantee you communication will improve, and both sides would probably be interested in any details that are posted here or any other social media  platform.  

Be prepared for the comments coming your way, again without the details CC members are going to throw out all kinds of advice and opinions.  This is the consequence of posting on a forum like this.  Some will be concerned, some will think this is a frivolous money grab and some will feel insulted that you're being critical of their favorite cruise line.  Best wishes to your grandmother and hope you can resolve this.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Welcome to CC.  It seems as though you have the answers you seek, so it's best you read this thread no further. 

I hope your grandmother is doing as best as possible, no matter what happened.

Yes, you are right lol. Thank you, I appreciate it.

• Like 2