Sapphire forward facing O5 premium ocean view cabins

alyssamma

Does anyone have feedback on these cabins? I understand the balcony doesn't open unless in port. But otherwise any comments?

On the deck plans they seem slightly larger than other ocean views...is this true?

And is it annoying looking at the long balcony instead of an unobstructed view from a window?

Thanks in advance.

The balcony access is more a warning than actual practice.  About the only actual inconvenience is that, depending on the specific deck and relation to the bridge, you’ll likely be required to keep the outside light off and the curtains drawn when the ship is in motion after dark.   With Sapphire, since you’re a bit further down, it may be less strictly enforced.  But I wouldn’t count on it.  

The metal balcony is definitely too high to see over when seated.   So if blue sky and tall things in the distance are what you like to see, terrific.  If you want to actually see water, not so much.  Some people have brought inexpensive plastic bed risers to put under the chair legs to get a better view.  Might be $20 well spent. 

As to the size, the difference is all in the balcony rather than the interior of the stateroom, to my memory. It’s not enough to be immediately noticeable if there is a difference in the interior portion, anyway (like, less than three inches of depth, leading to more space between the bed and the sliding door, with a slightly larger desktop area).  

Edited by VibeGuy
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VibeGuy said:

The balcony access is more a warning than actual practice.  About the only actual inconvenience is that, depending on the specific deck and relation to the bridge, you’ll likely be required to keep the outside light off and the curtains drawn when the ship is in motion after dark.   With Sapphire, since you’re a bit further down, it may be less strictly enforced.  But I wouldn’t count on it.  

The metal balcony is definitely too high to see over when seated.   So if blue sky and tall things in the distance are what you like to see, terrific.  If you want to actually see water, not so much.  Some people have brought inexpensive plastic bed risers to put under the chair legs to get a better view.  Might be $20 well spent. 

As to the size, the difference is all in the balcony rather than the interior of the stateroom, to my memory. It’s not enough to be immediately noticeable if there is a difference in the interior portion, anyway (like, less than three inches of depth, leading to more space between the bed and the sliding door, with a slightly larger desktop area).  

Thank you very much for a detailed answer.

There is a website that has great pictures of one of these staterooms. Search for B100 Sapphire Princess, and it should be a top hit. I didn’t realize that the Sapphire has these; I thought they were true oceanviews. They are just like the Royal class forward facing balconies that are huge, and I would recommend them as long as you don’t get seasick. I’m surprised there’s no balcony furniture though; if that’s truly the case, that would suck. On the Royal class, you are warned that they can make it so you can’t access the balcony during certain conditions, but we did not encounter that when we had one. If these are priced lower than other balconies, I say, go for it, but if a regular balcony cost less, I might be inclined to just do a regular balcony.

14 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

There is a website that has great pictures of one of these staterooms. Search for B100 Sapphire Princess, and it should be a top hit. I didn’t realize that the Sapphire has these; I thought they were true oceanviews. They are just like the Royal class forward facing balconies that are huge, and I would recommend them as long as you don’t get seasick. I’m surprised there’s no balcony furniture though; if that’s truly the case, that would suck. On the Royal class, you are warned that they can make it so you can’t access the balcony during certain conditions, but we did not encounter that when we had one. If these are priced lower than other balconies, I say, go for it, but if a regular balcony cost less, I might be inclined to just do a regular balcony.

Thanks...I actually saw those pics. One has a "warning" that clearly states you can only use the balcony when in port. Are you saying you were able to use it when you were sailing?

These rooms don't look "huge", just slightly larger than normal ocean view, which is why I asked about them. They are priced as a premium ocean view, so cheaper than balcony, but only slightly more than normal ocean view.

My thinking, though, was because you can't go on the balcony (this is a cruise with a lot of sea days), it is essentially an obstructed ocean view. If that is the case, not worth paying extra for, unless they are significantly larger or something like that.

I was on the Majestic to Alaska in Aug. '21. We had a deluxe obstructed balcony, M102.

At no time were there restrictions on balcony access or lighting at night. Our next door neighbor had their light on most evenings. Our cabins were directly on the roof of the bridge, slightly aft of the bridge windows (if that makes a difference). They don't lock the sliders, just a warning about high winds on a sticker on the glass. The metal balcony wind deflector does a good job at keeping the wind somewhat at bay.

On our cruise, we were able to stand out on our balcony while underway in open ocean. The payoff to this room was when cruising the calm waters of the Inside Passage, a full 180 deg panorama from the comfort of your balcony.

11 minutes ago, EDDY0827 said:

I was on the Majestic to Alaska in Aug. '21. We had a deluxe obstructed balcony, M102.

At no time were there restrictions on balcony access or lighting at night. Our next door neighbor had their light on most evenings. Our cabins were directly on the roof of the bridge, slightly aft of the bridge windows (if that makes a difference). They don't lock the sliders, just a warning about high winds on a sticker on the glass. The metal balcony wind deflector does a good job at keeping the wind somewhat at bay.

On our cruise, we were able to stand out on our balcony while underway in open ocean. The payoff to this room was when cruising the calm waters of the Inside Passage, a full 180 deg panorama from the comfort of your balcony.

Thanks...but to be clear, this is an *ocean view* and not a balcony. I've seen the forward facing balconies on the Royal class and, like you said, they just have a warning. However, the ocean view on the Grand class have a sign specifically stating they are locked at sea and to call your stateroom attendant to get them unlocked when at port.

See the 2nd post on this thread...

• 6 months later...

I currently have an ocean view guarantee on the Sapphire.  My upgrade options include these cabins and a regular balcony.  The minimum is $15 and $320 respectively.  I’m taking a shot at both. 

• Like 1