Royal Caribbean COVID policy for treatment of COVID positive passengers

15 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Totally agree.  So should cruise lines require tests for all of those also?  

What are the recommendations of the experts in the field? I barely passed biology in high school 40 years ago.

I will share my opinion though. If symptoms indicate that you may be ill, then yes visit the infirmary. Should the patient's diagnosis and tests indicate that their illness is communicative, then the patient should either be placed into quarantine or removed from the ship at the patient's expense.

The whole purpose being the welfare and safety of the public and staff as a whole. Not the desire of a single individual.

3 hours ago, BND said:

I expect we'll see changes soon.  My DH said that his company policy has changed in the last few weeks.  Basically, if you're sick stay home.  No quarantine, testing etc.  Just like any other illness and other companies are also doing this now.  My DIL is an RN and basically that's their deal as in if they have a fever or nausea/vomiting, etc they stay home. Once they are better they can come back to work.   2023 Covid is not 2020's Covid.  In fact, DH were discussing last week how we don't know anyone who has it or has had it in last couple of months.  

I got it from the NYE cruise on Jewel. Woke up in the middle of the night we got home. No one else in our group of 8 got it. Felt icky for a couple of days, that was all. So others on that cruise had it and either didn’t know it, or knew it and didn’t say anything.  It would be possible, because I wasn’t sick enough after a couple of days to think I had it. If I wasn’t here with a test, I never would have tested.  I probably would have just worn my N95 mask.

42 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Nope.

That's why (in my opinion) annual vaccinations will be important just like all the other vaccinations and we are urged to receive. ie. Flu, Tdap, HPV, Shingles, PCV, and others.

What’s PCV? I thought that was something I used to have in my cars engine….

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 11:16 AM, klfrodo said:

Or, some people spend too much 🙄

I totally respect someone to make their own choices when it comes to their own health. However, I draw the line when someone else's decision can or may affect the health of someone else. Especially when you are confined with 4000 other people and even a small percentage of those may be more susceptible to severe illness or worse.

I wouldn't think that it would be okay if someone on the ship was walking around and were knowingly infected with TB, MRSA, Pertussis, Meningitis, or other highly communicable diseases.

Nicely said!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, DavidMutchler said:

Nicely said!

I'm of the thinking that if you're concerned or are in the small percentage of those that may be more susceptible to severe illness or worse, you should think twice about taking a cruise. I would never expect others to be equally concerned about MY health as I am. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BND said:

LOL. I think they might have meant RSV.

Google is a wonderful tool.

What does PCV vaccine for?

Vaccines help prevent pneumococcal disease, which is any type of illness caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae bacteria. There are two kinds of pneumococcal vaccines available in the United States: Pneumococcal conjugate vaccines (PCV13, PCV15, and PCV20)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MSP_CRUISER said:

I would never expect others to be equally concerned about MY health as I am. 

I asked ChatGBT the following question:

What does it say about social norms when people only worry about themselves and not others.

ChatGBT's response:

When people prioritize their own interests and concerns over the well-being of others, it suggests that the social norm of individualism is strong in that society. This type of individualistic mindset can lead to a lack of consideration for the impact one's actions have on others and a disregard for the common good.

However, this is not to say that all individuals are solely self-interested. Many people also value the welfare of others and have a sense of responsibility to contribute to the well-being of their communities. The strength and influence of social norms can vary from one society to another and can change over time.

It is important for societies to promote and nurture social norms that prioritize the common good and encourage individuals to act with empathy and consideration for others. This can help to create a more cooperative, supportive, and inclusive society where everyone's needs are taken into account.

On 2/10/2023 at 2:30 PM, klfrodo said:

What are the recommendations of the experts in the field? I barely passed biology in high school 40 years ago.

I will share my opinion though. If symptoms indicate that you may be ill, then yes visit the infirmary. Should the patient's diagnosis and tests indicate that their illness is communicative, then the patient should either be placed into quarantine or removed from the ship at the patient's expense.

The whole purpose being the welfare and safety of the public and staff as a whole. Not the desire of a single individual.

They dont care if its something communicable.. if it's not covid, you are free to go give it to someone else. I was sure I'd be isolated. .. tested negative.. here are some drugs and cough drops we will sell to you. Not a word about staying away from others. .. well I could pay $140 for a doctors advise. No thanks. I was sick for a good 3 weeks. It was into my lungs.