Two questions regarding Star Class

edspec

We are in Star Class this coming week and I have two questions:

1. How to tip the Genie?  Cash or onboard account?

2. We got a great deal on a two bedroom aqua-theater suite, at least I think it's a great deal, $9700 for the three of us for an 8 day cruise.  Is it realistic to think I can get that price or lower on Star Class in the future?  Yes, I know, post-Covid world, etc...

TIA

We have done Star class three times and have tipped the Genie in cash.

We have done the 2-Bdr Aquatheatre (category A1) suite twice, in August 2018 on Oasis and August 2021 on Allure.  We have had 8 people. Total was around $15K. I will say that the current and future prices on Royal are noticeably higher, especially suites. Of course, depends on ship and date. For example, a 2-bdr Aquatheatre suite on Harmony in August 2023 is over $30K for 8. Don't even look at Wonder or Icon. 

If you see that price for Star Class again, grab it. I think they are going to be few are far between.

mac_tlc

• Like 1

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/best-price-guarantee-policy

"Spot a better price on your booked cruise?

Our Best Price Guarantee lets you take advantage of a better price within 48 hours from the time you booked— just give us a call or use our online form. You’ll receive the difference as a non-refundable onboard credit inside final payment or rate adjustment outside final payment".

1 minute ago, Ret MP said:

Our Best Price Guarantee lets you take advantage of a better price within 48 hours from the time you booked— just give us a call or use our online form. You’ll receive the difference as a non-refundable onboard credit inside final payment or rate adjustment outside final payment".

We tip the Genie $100.00 per person!  It can go up or down, depending on the Genie and his/her service!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

For example, a 2-bdr Aquatheatre suite on Harmony in August 2023 is over $30K for 8. Don't even look at Wonder or Icon. 

If you see that price for Star Class again, grab it. I think they are going to be few are far between.

mac_tlc

Thank-you so much.  We had better make the most of this, w/ prices like the above this will never happen again.  

11 hours ago, Ret MP said:

That only applies to booking inside final payment and good luck finding any Star class suite then. Outside final payment, you get price drops like everyone else - again, good luck finding one of those.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

That only applies to booking inside final payment and good luck finding any Star class suite then. Outside final payment, you get price drops like everyone else

I don't doubt what you posted, not one bit, and I'm not trying to start an argument.  But, I like to see such things in official form.  Do you know where I can find where it says that.  

Thanks in advance for a prompt response

1 minute ago, Ret MP said:

Do you know where I can find where it says that.  

Not sure it is posted in an unambiguous form on the site, but all the reporting here confirms it. There's no time limit on the price drops outside of final so by inference one can also deduce that what you quoted must apply to inside final.

11 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I don't doubt what you posted, not one bit, and I'm not trying to start an argument.  But, I like to see such things in official form.  Do you know where I can find where it says that.  

Thanks in advance for a prompt response

What is the Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program?

A

Spot a better price on your booked cruise?

Our Best Price Guarantee lets you take advantage of a better price within 48 hours from the time you booked— just give us a call or use our online form. You’ll receive the difference as a non-refundable onboard credit inside final payment or rate adjustment outside final payment.

Just now, molly361 said:

What is the Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program?

A

Spot a better price on your booked cruise?

Our Best Price Guarantee lets you take advantage of a better price within 48 hours from the time you booked— just give us a call or use our online form. You’ll receive the difference as a non-refundable onboard credit inside final payment or rate adjustment outside final payment.

Thanks, but that is exactly what I posted above.

5 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Thanks, but that is exactly what I posted above.

I think some previous version of that had the "rate adjustment outside final payment." missing - I was mainly commenting on the inside final payment portion of it which confuses some folks.

13 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Not sure it is posted in an unambiguous form on the site, but all the reporting here confirms it. There's no time limit on the price drops outside of final so by inference one can also deduce that what you quoted must apply to inside final.

Well, I just called our TA and she said that as long as you owe money on a cruise, (that's outside the final payment time frame) than you can still get any price drops, if any.  So, even though I can't find an official source for it, it is as you stated.  That makes me happy.

Just now, Ret MP said:

Well, I just called our TA and she said that as long as you owe money on a cruise, (that's outside the final payment time frame) than you can still get any price drops, if any. 

It is a bit more complicated, but even if paid off, you should get price drops outside final payment - just one of the reasons not to make final payment till it's needed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Well, I just called our TA and she said that as long as you owe money on a cruise, (that's outside the final payment time frame) than you can still get any price drops, if any.  So, even though I can't find an official source for it, it is as you stated.  That makes me happy.

Well that's more misinformation.  Even if you are paid in full land it's BEFORE final payment DATE you can get price drops and will get a refund

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

It is a bit more complicated, but even if paid off, you should get price drops outside final payment - just one of the reasons not to make final payment till it's needed.

I totally agree, I never pay off a cruise until 90, 91, maybe 92 days out.  But, she was very specific about the "not paid off" part.  Doesn't matter right now for us, our Star Class Cruise isn't until Jan 24, and it looks like all the Star Class are sold out, already.  We can only hope that some block are returned to Royal.  Well, see.

3 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

But, she was very specific about the "not paid off" part. 

She may have that confused about not being able to transfer a booking to a TA if it's paid off. She may not want to deal with a paid off cruise and asking RCI for a refund outside of final payment.

• Like 1

Just now, Biker19 said:

She may have that confused about not being able to transfer a booking to a TA if it's paid off. She may not want to deal with a paid off cruise and asking RCI for a refund outside of final payment.

Anything is possible.  

16 hours ago, edspec said:

We are in Star Class this coming week and I have two questions:

1. How to tip the Genie?  Cash or onboard account?

2. We got a great deal on a two bedroom aqua-theater suite, at least I think it's a great deal, $9700 for the three of us for an 8 day cruise.  Is it realistic to think I can get that price or lower on Star Class in the future?  Yes, I know, post-Covid world, etc...

TIA

1) We were in Star Class late August/early September, we tipped on our account. We asked the genie which he preferred and he said either. We gave him a thank you note with the amount listed so he knew exactly how much to expect.

2) I booked post covid an A1, 2 people, for $7500. Harmony out of Galveston has/had some great Star Class prices.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

We always pay off our cruises in full well before final payment date, and have taken advantage of price drops on fully paid off cruises on several occasions - both pre and post shutdown. After final payment date we only do RoyalUP bids, and have scored really good deals on a half dozen bids since the restart. We are on Jewel in ~two weeks and upgraded from a JS to an Owner's Suite for $400/person. 

Edited by orville99
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

And of course, there's the issue of TA commissions - they usually drop with price drops (and perhaps any OBC they promised you).

Fortunately, the "big box" TA that I use uses brackets for their OBCs.  The spread between the upper and lower amounts within the brackets is a fairly large.  On our Jan 2024 cruise we are at the top of the bracket so I don't think a price reduction would effect our OBC:

mceclip0.png

On 11/22/2022 at 8:54 AM, Biker19 said:

Totally agree.  That is the main reason I wait until just a couple of days before final payment date to pay the cruise off. 

Had a price drop when I paid in full 2 weeks earlier than final, called to get it adjusted...then it was many weeks before they finally sent in the refund.  Ughh...easier to reduce balance owed before you pay it.   

• Like 2