Sodas on NCL

New2cruise2022

I know some lines (RCCL and Disney) have self-serve soda machines. From CC commentaries it seems these are very rare across the NCL fleet. How do sodas usually work on NCL ships? As in, served in glasses? Can you use your own containers? Im creating a guide for my teenagers and I just want to help them understand how it works. (I know that seems like too much, but I have a child that has anxiety and does great if he knows what to expect.) 

Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

Thanks! From any bar or restaurant?

I believe all bars and restaurants serve soda.  Possibly a specialty bar, like the Cellars, may not (I was too busy drinking wine to notice) but virtually anywhere.

Edited by phillygwm

1 hour ago, New2cruise2022 said:

I know some lines (RCCL and Disney) have self-serve soda machines. From CC commentaries it seems these are very rare across the NCL fleet. How do sodas usually work on NCL ships? As in, served in glasses? Can you use your own containers? Im creating a guide for my teenagers and I just want to help them understand how it works. (I know that seems like too much, but I have a child that has anxiety and does great if he knows what to expect.) 

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, FLcruisergrl said:

You will get a fountain soda in a disposable cup. No self serve.

Only the newest NCL ship has some self serve mini-Freestyle machines. Other wise, you will served in a cup or glass. On a recent cruise, the fancy bars were using crystal glasses. And, you can expect a plastic cup on the pool deck (never serve in glass there). 

At the beverage station below, there was self serve beer, wine, and sodas. (One of the passengers donated their bottle of sparking wine). 

image.png.c188f3aed80951d154d3d84d3c6c6f04.png

image.png.e2008330598eab9fed2c7638bf9667d8.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Only the newest NCL ship has some self serve mini-Freestyle machines. Other wise, you will served in a cup or glass. On a recent cruise, the fancy bars were using crystal glasses. And, you can expect a plastic cup on the pool deck (never serve in glass there). 

At the beverage station below, there was self serve beer, wine, and sodas. (One of the passengers donated their bottle of sparking wine). 

I’ll be on the Bliss so I wouldn’t expect to see these beauties, but perhaps on my NEXT cruise. 🍻 

• 1 year later...
On 11/22/2022 at 7:21 PM, BirdTravels said:

Thanks for the tip.  I'll be on the Viva next year.  I'd assume these will be on there as well.  Where are they located at, and do you you have to use your Key Card to activate them?

On 11/22/2022 at 7:53 PM, New2cruise2022 said:

I’ll be on the Bliss so I wouldn’t expect to see these beauties, but perhaps on my NEXT cruise. 🍻 

Yup - no dispensers on the Bliss.

Bars & restaurants will serve in the reusable plastic tumblers.

Disposables - not sure, but maybe used in the outdoor bars.

you can also buy the cans (coke products only! boo hoo,im a pepsi addict) i believe its just a little over 3.00 per can, unless you get the upgraded drink package, where ever you are eating, you can ask the waiter/waitress to bring you a can, but they need your key card. 

otherwise the soda comes in  a plastic cup. sometimes a ask for 2 cups at a time (get thirsty very quickly)

6 hours ago, joe6pak said:

I'll be on the Viva next year.  I'd assume these will be on there as well.  Where are they located at, and do you you have to use your Key Card to activate them?

i can only speak for the prima, but i assume the viva is the same.

the freestyle coke machine (not plural, as there is only one) is located in the indulge food hall, and yes, you need to activate by using your key card. in my experience it works about as often as it doesn't. also, it doesn't have the full complement of coke brands or flavor choices... no caffeine free diet coke, for instance. also, the machine only works during indulge service hours. you can go in the indulge food hall at other times, but the machine is turned off and, quite often, they remove all the plastic glasses that live near the machine. so even if you could use it (you can't), you'd have nothing to put your fizzy beverage in, although there are often coffee cups nearby.

8 hours ago, joe6pak said:

Thanks for the tip.  I'll be on the Viva next year.  I'd assume these will be on there as well.  Where are they located at, and do you you have to use your Key Card to activate them?

Indulge Food Hall and Solo Lounge.  

On 11/22/2022 at 8:30 PM, julig22 said:

You should also be able to ask for a can of soda in some places, if that's what they prefer. At least if you're paying for it, not sure if that's true with a package. 

With the premium plus you can get cans, otherwise think you have to purchase them.