Passport required to sail Virgin Voyages

angela12345

This is just a PSA / FYI .... (public service announcement / for your information)

Passports are required to sail on Virgin Voyages, even for US citizens.  

I know many people routinely sail without a passport on other cruiselines (myself included), so this may come as a surprise when booking Virgin.  
This is Virgin's own personal rule, it is not a USA requirement. 

The US rule is if you are sailing a cruise from a US port and you start and end at the same US port, while traveling to Canada, Mexico, Caribbean/and Central America, Bahamas, or Bermuda, a passport is not required (with few exceptions).  This is called a "closed-loop" cruise.  US citizens will need to bring a government-issued photo ID (i.e. driver's license) and proof of citizenship (certified copy of official/government birth certificate with raised seal - hospital birth record certificates don't work, baptismal certificates don't work, and photocopies don't work).  If your married name/drivers license is different than your birth certificate, it's advisable to bring along your marriage license as well.  If you ARE sailing with a passport instead of DL + BC, your U.S. Passport book must be valid for at least 6 months after your cruise ends.  

Always requires passport: Open-ended or one-way sailings that begin and end in different US ports, or voyages that depart from US but end in a foreign port or vice versa like transatlantic, transpacific, and repositioning cruises to and from the US.

edit: also Alaska & Hawaii cruises usually qualify to cruise without a passport, although Virgin does not currently cruise to those locations.  Certain islands in the Caribbean – Guadeloupe, Martinique, St. Barts, Barbados and others, currently require a passport for entry, but these are the exception rather than the rule. 

Edited by angela12345
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, angela12345 said:

Alaska & Hawaii cruises usually qualify to cruise without a passport,

Sorry, but this is bad info. Alaskan cruises from the US must stop in a foreign port (Canada)

The same is true for Hawaii...they usually stop in Ensenada Mexico.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Sorry, but this is bad info. Alaskan cruises from the US must stop in a foreign port (Canada)

The same is true for Hawaii...they usually stop in Ensenada Mexico.

I don't understand, are you saying you think you ARE required to have a passport to cruise to Alaska & Hawaii, or that a passport is NOT required ?  I'm saying you do NOT need a passport when taking cruises to Alaska or Hawaii, because of course you don't need a passport to travel to another US state.  But also . . . stopping at foreign ports in Mexico and Canada are fine because . . . The US rule is if you are sailing a cruise from a US port and you start and end at the same US port, while traveling to Canada, Mexico, Caribbean/and Central America, Bahamas, or Bermuda, a passport is not required (with few exceptions).  And again, this does not apply to Virgin, because VV requires passports, even for US citizens.

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-74?language=en_US

My husband called and was told they generally don’t allow people to sail without their passport but they may make an exception if it was lost/stolen and you can’t get a replacement in time.

Definitely better to make sure you have your passport because it sounded like it could change person to person.

37 minutes ago, angela12345 said:

I don't understand, are you saying you think you ARE required to have a passport to cruise to Alaska & Hawaii, or that a passport is NOT required ? 

You ARE required to have a passport for both Alaskan and Hawaiian cruises because they both have to stop in foreign countries because it's required by both Mexico and Canada.

Edited by CineGraphic

Bottom line, it is easier for the cruise line to just say that a passport is required.  It is also safer for the cruiser.  If you become ill or are injured and need to be treated in a foreign country, you will need a passport to return to the US.  Yes, there are State Department provisions to obtain an emergency passport, but this likely isn't something you want to be dealing with at the same time you are involved in a medical emergency.  Don't say it can't happen to you; I've seen it too many times on a ship.

To simplify some of the above, the first point is whether the cruise is "closed loop" which means that it begins and ends at the same port.  The next issue is where it stops and whether those stops are OK by both US regulations AND the regulations of the country being visited.  Alaskan cruises require passports because Canada requires a passport and most cruises port at a Canadian location.  In addition, any shore excursions depart from a US port but travel into Canada.

I certainly wouldn't rely on what I was told by a rep on the phone who said that sometimes they make exceptions!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oh !  I bet you're talking about the Passenger Vessels Services Act  
But that's a totally different topic than Passports  

Yes that's true, as part of the PVSA, cruises to Alaska & Hawaii (and everywhere else) on a foreign-flagged ship (which is almost all cruise ships that sail to/from US) must stop in a foreign port before returning to the same US port.  That's why you don't find cruises sailing and stopping in only US ports, there's always at least one foreign port.  Lucky for us, the cruiselines make sure their cruises are in closed-loop compliance and we don't have to worry about this stuff, so we can travel all of these closed-loop cruises without a passport, including Alaska and Hawaii

However, if its a repositioning cruise, for example from Florida to California, the ship must stop in a distant foreign port, which is a more stringent requirement.  And also, you ARE required to have a passport on these type cruises because its not a closed-loop cruise. 

There is only one large cruiseline ship that I know of that doesn't fall under the PVSA ... Norwegian Cruise Line's Pride of America sails Hawaii without stopping in foreign ports.  Because ... It is an American-flagged ship !  Subject to US labor laws, taxes, consumer laws, and etc.  There are some smaller cruise ships that are also US-flagged that cruise rivers, just Alaska, just Hawaii, etc 

Edited by angela12345
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, raphael360 said:

I've been on more than 40 cruises since the late 70's and I never was able to board without my passport.  Many lines, such as Seabourn, actually hold them for the duration of the cruise.

WOW !!  I have only been on 8 cruises from 2006-2018 (break since 2018 because of sick kitty + stupid covid) and I have LITERALLY NEVER cruised with a passport.  When I check a bunch of cruiseline's websites, they all say you can cruise without a passport, except for Virgin (I checked a bunch but not all cruiselines).  I don't even have a passport, although it is on order for my Virgin cruise because Virgin requires them ......

On 12/6/2022 at 4:05 PM, angela12345 said:

WOW !!  I have only been on 8 cruises from 2006-2018 (break since 2018 because of sick kitty + stupid covid) and I have LITERALLY NEVER cruised with a passport.  When I check a bunch of cruiseline's websites, they all say you can cruise without a passport, except for Virgin (I checked a bunch but not all cruiselines).  I don't even have a passport, although it is on order for my Virgin cruise because Virgin requires them ......

All of my cruises for the past 10-15 years have been on Seabourn who  requires passports, mainly because they almost never leave and/or return to the same country. Montreal - Miami or Barcelona Spain - Reykjavik Iceland cruises for example).  My 2 cruises to Cuba also required passports (and other documents).  I did have 1 x Miami to Miami cruise on Oceania in 2018 but I'm trying hard to forget that nightmare. 🙂

I can totally believe most or all cruise lines sailing out and back in to a US port wouldn't require a passport.

VV's APP is asking for my passport  so who am I to argue with our new best friend Sir Richard Branson??

Edited by raphael360
SIC
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, raphael360 said:

All of my cruises for the past 10-15 years have been on Seabourn who  requires passports, mainly because they almost never leave and/or return to the same country. Montreal - Miami or Barcelona Spain - Reykjavik Iceland cruises for example).  

EXACTLY what I've been saying.  Never leaving or returning to the same country, and especially your example that isn't even cruising from the USA is NOT a closed-loop cruise.  Seabourn ALSO does NOT require a passport for closed-loop cruises.

Seriously, I don't understand why I am getting so much push-back from people about this.  If people would please re-read the first post they will see that I posted this so folks are not surprised if they get to Miami and Virgin asks for a passport that they did not bring or do not have.  This was posted as a ....

This is just a  PSA / FYI .... (public service announcement / for your information)

Passports are required to sail on Virgin Voyages, even for US citizens.  
I know many people routinely sail without a passport on other cruiselines (myself included), so this may come as a surprise when booking Virgin.  This is Virgin's own personal rule, it is not a USA requirement. 

Passport NOT reqd - Seabourn.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is becoming a trip from hell for my husband and me.  We ordered our passports online on January 19.  Paid for expediting which was 3-5 weeks.  We're both still in "received" status with the State Department and our flight leaves for Miami on March 10 for a VV Eastern Caribbean cruise departing on March 11.  We aren't even allowed to make an passport agency appointment unless our passports aren't here by Friday the 3rd (hahahaha - right) and then we were told that the first open appointments in Chicago aren't until March 10 anyway which, as I mentioned, is the day that we fly to Miami.  I am just sick over this.  I went above and beyond to be early and pay more for speedier service and I think we're going to both be screwed out of our vacation because of this requirement.  

Any thoughts?  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, GhettoCruiser said:

This is becoming a trip from hell for my husband and me.  We ordered our passports online on January 19.  Paid for expediting which was 3-5 weeks.  We're both still in "received" status with the State Department and our flight leaves for Miami on March 10 for a VV Eastern Caribbean cruise departing on March 11.  We aren't even allowed to make an passport agency appointment unless our passports aren't here by Friday the 3rd (hahahaha - right) and then we were told that the first open appointments in Chicago aren't until March 10 anyway which, as I mentioned, is the day that we fly to Miami.  I am just sick over this.  I went above and beyond to be early and pay more for speedier service and I think we're going to both be screwed out of our vacation because of this requirement.  

Any thoughts?  

Contact Virgin or your Travel Agent.  They can make an exception.  They just need to create a ticket and get it approved.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, GhettoCruiser said:

Any thoughts?  

We did normal service as they said 11 weeks and we had about 15 weeks before our trip.  It stayed in "received" status on line until after she had received it.  And it took 6 weeks and 1 day to arrive.  I. This was thru the Texas processing address if that matters.  I don't have any good answers other than that you still have a little time for it to arrive.  Call VV and find out what their cancelation policy is just in case it doesn't get to you.   I'm not worried about the "received" status, but I'd be worrying as the date is close and you are beyond the 5 week point.  VV is strict about requiring passports, even for cruises where the federal government doesn't require one, but again, it doesn't hurt to ask if they can make an exception.

Edited by cantgetin

Definitely reach out to sailor services and let them know your situation. As others said they do make exceptions for US travelers on a closed loop. I would try to get them to send you an email confirmation of the exemption, but name of the rep and time you spoke to works.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Fogcityca13 said:

Definitely reach out to sailor services and let them know your situation. As others said they do make exceptions for US travelers on a closed loop. I would try to get them to send you an email confirmation of the exemption, but name of the rep and time you spoke to works.  

Thanks!  I called VV and gave them every tidbit of knowledge I had and they said they'd open a case and get back to me.  Here's hoping, because I'm sick of worrying about this and sitting on the phone with the State Dept for hours on end only for them to tell me they can't tell me anything or do anything for me.  So frustrating!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GhettoCruiser said:

Thanks!  I called VV and gave them every tidbit of knowledge I had and they said they'd open a case and get back to me.  Here's hoping, because I'm sick of worrying about this and sitting on the phone with the State Dept for hours on end only for them to tell me they can't tell me anything or do anything for me.  So frustrating!!

Call the constituent services office of your Congressperson.  They may be able to help you get it expedited.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, aimee0715 said:

Call the constituent services office of your Congressperson.  They may be able to help you get it expedited.  

This!  I should have thought of that yesterday.  It is absolutely amazing what happens with a phone call from a congressperson to a government agency.

The difference in this case is that Virgin requires passports for ALL cruises, even those that are not required by the various governments involved.  Normally, I'd tell people that it is a dumb move to cruise without a passport, but OP applied in what should have been plenty of time based on the state department's web site.  I keep hoping that they'll post that the passports have arrived and all is fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cantgetin said:

I keep hoping that they'll post that the passports have arrived and all is fine.

Nope!  Not yet.  Thanks for the defense, it's appreciated, since we did absolutely everything we could and followed the government's guidelines as you kindly pointed out.  

It absolutely is a dumb move to cruise without a passport - who knows if you have to dock someplace due to weather that wasn't originally on the itinerary?  We get it.  We aren't trying to flaunt the rules but we're past the point of cancellation / refund and we have jumped through all the hoops the government gave us to clear since we paid for expedited service and shipping that was supposed to deliver our passports within 3-5 weeks.  The information on the state department website says that if you have travel within 14 days to call and make an agency appointment but after you hold for over two hours to speak to a human and make that appointment, they tell you that the website information is incorrect and they won't let you book an appointment until it's FIVE days from travel.  Well, that means that the earliest I can call for an appointment is this Friday, the 3rd of March for travel that is going to occur (initial flight to Miami) on Friday the 10th of March.  And, one of the agents said when I called them on February 24 that the earliest Chicago (our closest agency office) was booking was Friday, March 10.  The day we are to board the plane at the crack of dawn from Indianapolis.  

Thankfully the advice above by FFMilesJunkie, neverendingcruising, Fogcityca13 and you, cantgetin,  seems to be our saving grace and for that we are incredibly appreciative!!!  We've been in touch with Virgin, they're giving us consideration since we can prove this fault doesn't lie with us and we're taking birth certificates, our marriage license, their correspondence accepting of our situation, our expired passports, and our state issued IDs. 

*sigh*  😝

• Like 2