NCL Air Atlanta to San Juan

laudergayle

This was a trial…ATL to SJU.  How bad could it be…ATL is a Delta Hub and an international airport.  We took a 2-day deviation going out and selected our return same day as we disembark.  For anyone who may be interested…NCL booked economy on SWA, Atlanta to Orlando, Orlando to San Juan.  Outbound, not bad…11 am from ATL, short layover in MCO, 5:35 pm arrival in SJU.

However, the return flight is HORRIBLE!!  6:45 pm departure out of SJU, an hour and a half layover MCO, arrival at ATL at midnight.  And we live 90 mins from the airport.

As it’s said…You get what you pay for…lol.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

This was a trial…ATL to SJU.  How bad could it be…ATL is a Delta Hub and an international airport.  We took a 2-day deviation going out and selected our return same day as we disembark.  For anyone who may be interested…NCL booked economy on SWA, Atlanta to Orlando, Orlando to San Juan.  Outbound, not bad…11 am from ATL, short layover in MCO, 5:35 pm arrival in SJU.

However, the return flight is HORRIBLE!!  6:45 pm departure out of SJU, an hour and a half layover MCO, arrival at ATL at midnight.  And we live 90 mins from the airport.

I am with you!!! Mine was a different carrier but why not book me on the earlier flight that was the same cost? I guess if we land just before midnight it is the same day. It really stinks. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

NCL booked economy on SWA,

other than bulkheads and exit rows, every seat on Southwest planes is identical.  The only differences in fares is cancellation/rebook policies and when in the boarding process you get to board.

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

43 minutes ago, KAYKAY121 said:

I am with you!!! Mine was a different carrier but why not book me on the earlier flight that was the same cost? I guess if we land just before midnight it is the same day. It really stinks. 🙂

SWA is interesting.  That's the first that I have seen of NCL using them.

It might be the same cost to you right now, but who knows what sort of arrangement NCL has with the airlines.  

26 minutes ago, hallux said:

other than bulkheads and exit rows, every seat on Southwest planes is identical.  The only differences in fares is cancellation/rebook policies and when in the boarding process you get to board.

Actually its the Wanna Get Away rate…which has the lowest boarding rank.  I think we may be able to buy an earlier boarding position.  On a good note, SWA allows 2 free checked bags up to 50 lbs each…which is unusual these days.

UPDATE…we have decided to stay an extra night in San Juan. We booked a midday Delta flight home the next day for 25k miles +$6 each.  Hotel was $230.  The SWA return ticket will be a throwaway.  Total invested with NCL air promo $538 plus $250 and some miles still cheaper than if we had booked our own air.  

3 hours ago, Karaboudjan said:

SWA is interesting.  That's the first that I have seen of NCL using them.

It might be the same cost to you right now, but who knows what sort of arrangement NCL has with the airlines.  

I realize they get rack rates and they buy seats even cheaper by purchasing X # of seats on a flight but I could see what they paid for the flight on my booking. It was the same cost as the earlier flight the day I got my reservation from NCL. I also have not seen SWA and that is our preferred airline. 

2 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Actually its the Wanna Get Away rate…which has the lowest boarding rank.  I think we may be able to buy an earlier boarding position.  On a good note, SWA allows 2 free checked bags up to 50 lbs each…which is unusual these days.

It will be hard to get an A or B but with an A or B, we usually get to sit together. If  you get a C, you are SOL with middle seats only usually. 

5 minutes ago, KAYKAY121 said:

will be hard to get an A or B but with an A or B, we usually get to sit together. If  you get a C, you are SOL with middle seats only usually. 

Thank you for this info.  I will definitely try to add Early Bird boarding.

6 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Your HORRIBLE return flight is my travel option 70% of the time. LOL!  My closest airport is not the busiest (even though it's in a capital city) and I live 80 minutes from the airport. I'm so used to late arrivals home that now I just accept that when I snag an earlier arrival and it will inevitably gets cancelled or delayed. And I'm usually right.

11 minutes ago, weltek said:

Your HORRIBLE return flight is my travel option 70% of the time. LOL!  My closest airport is not the busiest (even though it's in a capital city) and I live 80 minutes from the airport. I'm so used to late arrivals home that now I just accept that when I snag an earlier arrival and it will inevitably gets cancelled or delayed. And I'm usually right.

OUCH.  As much as I dislike Atlanta airport due to traffic getting there…we are fortunate there are many flights in/out and typically direct.  However, It’s crazy that we sometimes have to leave for the airport 5 hours before our flight to combat traffic, accidents, road closures, parking and TSA.  I was surprised with our flights we’re SWA given ATL is a Delta hub.