New to MSC. Assorted questions.

lixogab

Hi. I'm planning my first MSC cruise and have some assorted questions:

1. I did the status match and now I'm Gold with MSC. The status privileges states  a 5% discount on cruise.

I created an account on www.msccruisesusa.com, linked my new Voyager club ID, can see the 4300 points, but

when I try to book the cruise on their web site, there is no 5% discount.

Am I doing something wrong?

2. I'm hesitating about the "Free drinks and internet" promotion which looks to include Easy plus + Internet

The price is $230 pp for a 7 days cruise and we are not heavy drinkers so not sure if it will justify. Hence the following questions:

- If I don't buy the package, the drinks price ( I found the https://static1.squarespace.com/static/617ac6f28abd337ac8fc5f75/t/62264424e0a64364affa6ab5/1646674982750/MSC+Divina+Main+Bar+Menu+2022.pdf ) includes gratuities, like in Europe or like in most major US cruise lines there is a mandatory gratuity on top of the price. For example, the list states a 14 oz draft Heineken is $6.00. Will they charge me $6.00 or $6.00 + 20% or so ?

- Are the prices the same for entire world, or they can differ depending on the cruise? I know that the currencies may vary and that can slightly affect prices,  but I saw somewhere a list stating beer prices around 8-9 UK pounds!

- Does the package include freshly squeezed juices (the price is $7.50) or just regular ?

- Does the Easy plus include bottled sparkling water? The list states San Pellegrino. Can i order it and bring in my room (I'm sparkling water junkie) . Can I get a bottle at take ashore ?

- If I want to get a $10 drink with an Easy plus package that covers up to $9 drinks, will they charge me $10, $1 or $1 + gratuity ?

3. I'm little bit confused about "experiences".

Fist it looks that for balcony the only option I have is "Aurea"

For OV I see "Bella" and "Fantastica"  and it looks that the differences are that I choose my room and I can request preferred dining time.

- If I go with Bella, do they usually assign the best available room or the cheapest (i.e obstructed view) ?

- I can request the dining time, but will they honor this request? Will I stick to the same time and  table every night like in RCCL or there is more flexibility like on NCL ?

4. What times are the shows?

Just want to be sure to choose the right dinner time to be able to attend the shows.

Thanks!

I guess I found the answer to the 1st question:

A1. Even if you are logged on, when reserving there is a link to add a voyager number.

Your number is there, but you have to do that step to add the discount.

• Like 1

If using a TA, which I recommend, your 5% discount will be refunded to your method of payment.

As for the experiences, it's really just what they are calling each category.  The Aurea experience allows you to pick your room, anytime dining, and access to the thermal suite area.  On some ships there is also a private sun deck (some with bars) for Aurea guests.  I'm not familiar with Bella or Fantastica beyond what I've read here and that is there seems to be more restrictions on what you can do ahead of time...like pick your room.  However, I have read plenty of reviews to suggest that MSC does not necessarily assign the worst cabin within their chosen experience.  In fact, some have reported being upgraded.  As for the drink/wifi package, I just prefer to have it.  But I get my money's worth if for nothing else, having the flexibility to try new drinks without feeling like I HAVE to drink it because I just paid for it...even if I don't like it.  On cruises longer than 3 nights, you can add a drinks package and wifi after you board.  This allows you to get a feel for what you might like after you board without having to decide ahead of time.  Dining times are assigned in Bella and Fantastica but many people report being able to change their time on embarkation day if it doesn't work for them.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm confused why you think you can only get a balcony with Aurea.  (What ship are you planning to cruise on?)  We booked Bella on Seaside, and got a nice balcony cabin.  (Balconies were cheaper than OV at the time, so we took that even though we prefer OV.)  We liked Bella because it has set dining times.  Aurea pax have anytime dining.  If you do Bella or Fantastica, and are not happy with the dining time you get, you can go to the dining room the day you board and request a change.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

I'm confused why you think you can only get a balcony with Aurea.  (What ship are you planning to cruise on?) 

Opera sailing from Dubai. It says that all other "experiences" are "sold out" for that particular day. Not sure how the experience can be sold out, so my guess it's just the way they manage the revenue.

4 hours ago, lixogab said:

Hi. I'm planning my first MSC cruise and have some assorted questions:

1. I did the status match and now I'm Gold with MSC. The status privileges states  a 5% discount on cruise.

I created an account on www.msccruisesusa.com, linked my new Voyager club ID, can see the 4300 points, but

when I try to book the cruise on their web site, there is no 5% discount.

Am I doing something wrong? - No. Their website is weird to use, I must confess. If possible use a TA and they'll sort all those problems for you.

2. I'm hesitating about the "Free drinks and internet" promotion which looks to include Easy plus + Internet

The price is $230 pp for a 7 days cruise and we are not heavy drinkers so not sure if it will justify. Hence the following questions: At least from where I live there are certain sailings from where the unique way to book is with this promotion. Bear that in mind, even though they work differently by the country.

- If I don't buy the package, the drinks price ( I found the https://static1.squarespace.com/static/617ac6f28abd337ac8fc5f75/t/62264424e0a64364affa6ab5/1646674982750/MSC+Divina+Main+Bar+Menu+2022.pdf ) includes gratuities, like in Europe or like in most major US cruise lines there is a mandatory gratuity on top of the price. For example, the list states a 14 oz draft Heineken is $6.00. Will they charge me $6.00 or $6.00 + 20% or so ? USD 6.00 plus 15%. Regarding drinks packages prices they don't charge additional gratuities if at booking time or online, but they charge it if purchased onboard.

- Are the prices the same for entire world, or they can differ depending on the cruise? I know that the currencies may vary and that can slightly affect prices,  but I saw somewhere a list stating beer prices around 8-9 UK pounds! Different prices by region. Continental Europe and the UAE are usually same region priced in EUR, except for cruises with a British port as embarkation port where they have things priced in GBP. US and South America are priced in USD, and so on...

- Does the package include freshly squeezed juices (the price is $7.50) or just regular ? Freshly squeezed as I know for Easy Plus, but they'll only offer it at breakfast time on a hit or miss way.

- Does the Easy plus include bottled sparkling water? The list states San Pellegrino. Can i order it and bring in my room (I'm sparkling water junkie) . Can I get a bottle at take ashore ? Yes, you can purchase it inside your plan if you have it. Sometimes the waiters in the MDR will give you one at the end of the meal to take to your room. You can take them ashore as well. Don't know for sparkling water, but for regular bottled ones they used to have a stand near the shore excursions meeting point selling it.

- If I want to get a $10 drink with an Easy plus package that covers up to $9 drinks, will they charge me $10, $1 or $1 + gratuity ? 10 plus gratuity.

3. I'm little bit confused about "experiences".

Fist it looks that for balcony the only option I have is "Aurea"

For OV I see "Bella" and "Fantastica"  and it looks that the differences are that I choose my room and I can request preferred dining time.

- If I go with Bella, do they usually assign the best available room or the cheapest (i.e obstructed view) ? Bella is the MSC's wording to "no frills" guaranteed cruise. Depending on their booking numbers it may be possible for you to have a nice room, but generally it runs toward the leftovers, so the worse ones. Fantastica is your regular cruise fare. Aurea is a premium experience. If you're travelling on an older Lirica class vessel that might to make sense once those ships have very few balcony cabins.

- I can request the dining time, but will they honor this request? Will I stick to the same time and  table every night like in RCCL or there is more flexibility like on NCL ? If you book Aurea you'll get anytime dining. Yes, they can arrange for a set time. Fantastica you'll mostly make your choice between main and second round. On Bella they'll to choose it for you. Maybe they can move you afterwards, but that's not guaranteed.

4. What times are the shows?

Just want to be sure to choose the right dinner time to be able to attend the shows. Shows usually round the dinner times. Either way you'll have the shows before or after your dinner.

Thanks! You're welcome!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

Curious why the emphasis on 2023 and not after?

Read some threads in the MSC forums. Always use an independent TA - they always can offer more than the Box and in-house TA's. However there's some extra TA incentives going on right now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Griff4AU said:

Always use an independent TA - they always can offer more than the Box and in-house TA's. However there's some extra TA incentives going on right now. 

I know that TAs cannot be mentioned by name, but are you saying some of the large online TA's would fall into this category? 

This is the MSC forum, so I will focus my comment on MSC as an example...

I am saying that if ANY TA isn't encouraging you to book your MSC 2023 sailing before YE 2022, then I personally believe you are using the wrong TA. Just one guy's opinion.

What I am saying is that if you ask your TA "why should I book the MSC Seascape on 12/30 instead of waiting until next year?" and they can't (won't) answer that, then I believe you have the wrong TA. Again, one guy's opinion... but based on fact.

A good and real independent TA can (and probably will) will save you money 9 times out of 10.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Griff4AU said:

This is the MSC forum, so I will focus my comment on MSC as an example...

I am saying that if ANY TA isn't encouraging you to book your MSC 2023 sailing before YE 2022, then I personally believe you are using the wrong TA. Just one guy's opinion.

What I am saying is that if you ask your TA "why should I book the MSC Seascape on 12/30 instead of waiting until next year?" and they can't (won't) answer that, then I believe you have the wrong TA. Again, one guy's opinion... but based on fact.

A good and real independent TA can (and probably will) will save you money 9 times out of 10.

It's all so very mysterious and I have read many threads and haven't seen incentives mentioned except for in one and I don't think it had to do with NYE deadlines at all.   If you have a minute and a  recommendation, kindly email, please.

kmzilles at comcast dot net 

On 12/6/2022 at 2:23 PM, lixogab said:

Does the Easy plus include bottled sparkling water? The list states San Pellegrino. Can i order it and bring in my room (I'm sparkling water junkie) . Can I get a bottle at take ashore ?

Yes.  Yes and yes. 

If I want to get a $10 drink with an Easy plus package that covers up to $9 drinks, will they charge me $10, $1 or $1 + gratuity ?

No.  You pay the full price. $10.

I can request the dining time, but will they honor this request? Will I stick to the same time and  table every night like in RCCL or there is more flexibility like on NCL ?

Same time and table like RCCL. 

14 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

It's all so very mysterious and I have read many threads and haven't seen incentives mentioned except for in one and I don't think it had to do with NYE deadlines at all.   If you have a minute and a  recommendation, kindly email, please.

Kim, I am not going to do that. I have TA privileges (not my day-job) and I am going to respect the CC wishes as we are all playing in their sandbox. 

My advice is to speak (like people used to do) with a TA and he/she will likely enlighten you if they are at all familiar with MSC.