Marina Refurb - Clue?

MarkWiltonM

On 1/3/2023 at 6:13 AM, PaulMCO said:

Marina will not be re imagined until 2024 from multiple sources on board.

While not worn -- everything on Marina is dated.  Very dark and dim.

I think I must have missed something about Marina. Is the Next upgrade no longer scheduled for October 2023? 

I booked a summer 2024:cruise on Marina with the understanding the Next refurbishment would be complete. 

9 minutes ago, WNcruiser said:

I think I must have missed something about Marina. Is the Next upgrade no longer scheduled for October 2023? 

I booked a summer 2024:cruise on Marina with the understanding the Next refurbishment would be complete. 

Oceania confirmed to us that the 2023 upgrade is canceled and might be in 2024 but not scheduled as of today. We are booked in January 2025 and hope it happens before then, but it is not a deal killer for us if not. It is surprising that Riviera got refurbed last year and she is newer than Marina. You would think the older ship would have been first.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Oceania confirmed to us that the 2023 upgrade is canceled and might be in 2024 but not scheduled as of today. We are booked in January 2025 and hope it happens before then, but it is not a deal killer for us if not. It is surprising that Riviera got refurbed last year and she is newer than Marina. You would think the older ship would have been first.

If it was scheduled for this year wouldn’t you think all of the materials, furniture, etc would have already been purchased? I just read the other thread about it but there doesn’t seem to be any solid answers from Oceania which is very disappointing. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WNcruiser said:

If it was scheduled for this year wouldn’t you think all of the materials, furniture, etc would have already been purchased? I just read the other thread about it but there doesn’t seem to be any solid answers from Oceania which is very disappointing. 

When we booked last week our 2025 Marina cruise, my TA asked her rep at Oceania about the refurbishment and what I said above in post #27 is what she was told and relayed to us. Anything already bought can be stored for later use, the biggest cost of refurbishment is the labor and ship's down time for the refurbishment. I went through the same thing with Celebrity when they canceled all of their "Revolutionizing" of their older fleet post pandemic, and no one knows if it will ever happen.

Edited by terrydtx

21 minutes ago, WNcruiser said:

I think  they need to start making money before they start  building & remodelling  the ships

Don't forget they were not making really money for almost 2 yrs  & then they had FCC's on the books 

starting this month they will be getting real money but it takes time to make enough to pay of the debt load they incurred keeping the line  afloat  during the pandemic

JMO

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I think  they need to start making money before they start  building & remodelling  the ships

Don't forget they were not making really money for almost 2 yrs  & then they had FCC's on the books 

starting this month they will be getting real money but it takes time to make enough to pay of the debt load they incurred keeping the line  afloat  during the pandemic

JMO

Don't forget the huge cost of completing their newest ship Vista for this year.

On October 12, we received an email regarding our upcoming cruise (Nov. 2024). It read:

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Advisors,

We would like to provide you with an important update on your cruise vacation that is scheduled to sail aboard Marina.

Recently, Oceania Cruises unveiled its plans to re-inspire Marina by dramatically upgrading all of her guest accommodations and public spaces. All guest accommodations will be completely transformed and outfitted with all new furniture and furnishings, wall coverings, upholstery, lighting, technology, additional storage space, and new bathrooms.

Based on feedback from guests, one of the major upgrades to the accommodations is that bathrooms in all category C Deluxe Oceanview Staterooms, all category B1, B2, and B3 Veranda Staterooms, all category A1, A2, and A3 Concierge Level Veranda Staterooms, and all category PH1 and PH2 Penthouse Suites will now feature an oversized, walk-in shower. The dramatically more spacious and functional walk-in shower was made possible by removing the under-utilized separate bathtub and small shower stall.

These changes will debut with Marina’s November 13, 2023, sailing.  

The current bathtub and shower combination bathroom configuration will remain in place in category B4 Veranda Staterooms, category A4 Concierge Level Veranda Staterooms, and select category PH3 Penthouse Suites. Details on those specific accommodations are listed below.

The Oceania, Vista, and Owner’s Suites will all retain their current shower and bathtub, albeit in spectacularly re-inspired bathrooms.

Penthouse Suites and Staterooms with the bathtub and shower:

PH3: 9138, 9145, 10002, 10003, 10004, 10005, 10008, 10009, 10010, 10011

A4: 9002, 9003, 9004, 9005, 9006, 9007, 9008, 9009, 9010, 9011, 9012, 9019, 9126, 9128, 9130, 9132, 9133, 9134, 9135, 9136, 9137, 9139, 9141, 9143

B4: 7010, 7011, 7012, 7014, 7015, 7016, 7017, 7018, 7019, 7020, 7021, 7022, 7023, 7024, 7025, 7026, 7027, 7028, 7029, 7031, 7102, 7104, 7105, 7106, 7107, 7109

Should you desire a suite or stateroom with the bathtub and shower combination, or if you are currently booked in one of the suites or staterooms listed above and prefer one of the new shower-only bathrooms, please contact your Travel Advisor or Oceania Cruises to request a change.

Thank you for taking note of this important change. We look forward to welcoming you aboard the better-than-new and dramatically re-inspired Marina.

Warmest regards,

Carlos E. Ortega
Vice President, Guest Services

Has that been changed since October?

7 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

On October 12, we received an email regarding our upcoming cruise (Nov. 2024). It read:

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Advisors,

We would like to provide you with an important update on your cruise vacation that is scheduled to sail aboard Marina.

Recently, Oceania Cruises unveiled its plans to re-inspire Marina by dramatically upgrading all of her guest accommodations and public spaces. All guest accommodations will be completely transformed and outfitted with all new furniture and furnishings, wall coverings, upholstery, lighting, technology, additional storage space, and new bathrooms.

Based on feedback from guests, one of the major upgrades to the accommodations is that bathrooms in all category C Deluxe Oceanview Staterooms, all category B1, B2, and B3 Veranda Staterooms, all category A1, A2, and A3 Concierge Level Veranda Staterooms, and all category PH1 and PH2 Penthouse Suites will now feature an oversized, walk-in shower. The dramatically more spacious and functional walk-in shower was made possible by removing the under-utilized separate bathtub and small shower stall.

These changes will debut with Marina’s November 13, 2023, sailing.  

The current bathtub and shower combination bathroom configuration will remain in place in category B4 Veranda Staterooms, category A4 Concierge Level Veranda Staterooms, and select category PH3 Penthouse Suites. Details on those specific accommodations are listed below.

The Oceania, Vista, and Owner’s Suites will all retain their current shower and bathtub, albeit in spectacularly re-inspired bathrooms.

Penthouse Suites and Staterooms with the bathtub and shower:

PH3: 9138, 9145, 10002, 10003, 10004, 10005, 10008, 10009, 10010, 10011

A4: 9002, 9003, 9004, 9005, 9006, 9007, 9008, 9009, 9010, 9011, 9012, 9019, 9126, 9128, 9130, 9132, 9133, 9134, 9135, 9136, 9137, 9139, 9141, 9143

B4: 7010, 7011, 7012, 7014, 7015, 7016, 7017, 7018, 7019, 7020, 7021, 7022, 7023, 7024, 7025, 7026, 7027, 7028, 7029, 7031, 7102, 7104, 7105, 7106, 7107, 7109

Should you desire a suite or stateroom with the bathtub and shower combination, or if you are currently booked in one of the suites or staterooms listed above and prefer one of the new shower-only bathrooms, please contact your Travel Advisor or Oceania Cruises to request a change.

Thank you for taking note of this important change. We look forward to welcoming you aboard the better-than-new and dramatically re-inspired Marina.

Warmest regards,

Carlos E. Ortega
Vice President, Guest Services

I believe that the refurbishment mentioned in the email you received was subsequently canceled after the Oct 12th date of the email. I looked at the Marina's scheduled cruises on the website and it shows that cruises are scheduled the whole month of October and November this year, which would not leave any dry-docking time to do the changes. An extensive dry dock to make these changes would require at least 2 weeks or more to finish. I would hope that this gets done prior to our Jan. 2025 Marina cruise.

This are the two cruises on the O website just prior to the November 13th date in the email:

ISTANBUL TO BARCELONA

• 12 Days Aboard Marina
  •  
  • November 1 - November 13, 2023
  • FROM $1,999 PER GUEST

ROME TO ISTANBUL

• 11 Days Aboard Marina
  •  
  • October 21 - November 1, 2023
  • FROM $2,399 PER GUEST

16 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

On October 12, we received an email regarding our upcoming cruise (Nov. 2024). It rea

Marina will not be refurbished until 2024 maybe 

5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Marina will not be refurbished until 2024 maybe 

Not holding out hope for 2024, after looking at all of Marina's scheduled cruises in 2024, there is not a break in them long enough to accommodate the dry-docking length. Actually, it looks like she is scheduled for all 52 weeks of 2024. 

Just now, terrydtx said:

Not holding out hope for 2024, after looking at all of Marina's scheduled cruises in 2024, there is not a break in them long enough to accommodate the dry-docking length. Actually, it looks like she is scheduled for all 52 weeks of 2024. 

The schedules can be changed if they get  a slot open up for the refurbishment

JMO

Just now, LHT28 said:

The schedules can be changed if they get  a slot open up for the refurbishment

JMO

Don't you mean if they get the extra revenue to do the refurb?  With every cruise line in a cash crunch refurbishing is on the back burners. I am shocked that the Riviera actually got refurbed last year. Celebrity for example, has canceled it fleet's Revolutionizing program until 2025 at the earliest, if they ever restart the program.

19 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Don't you mean if they get the extra revenue to do the refurb?  With every cruise line in a cash crunch refurbishing is on the back burners. I am shocked that the Riviera actually got refurbed last year. Celebrity for example, has canceled it fleet's Revolutionizing program until 2025 at the earliest, if they ever restart the program.

And over at Carnival, moderating and controlling new builds, too:

"Weinstein said that the company didn’t expect to take delivery of any new ships in 2026, and beyond that, would only build or two ships a year going forward. “Going forward, we are committed to using our expected cash flow strength to repair the balance sheet over time, and we’ll be disciplined and rigorous in making newbuild decisions accordingly,” he said. “We have just four ships on order through 2025, plus our second incredible Seabourn luxury expedition ship to be delivered in 2023. “This is our lowest order book in decades,” Weinstein continued. “We don’t expect any new ships in 2026 and anticipate just one or two new builds each year for several years thereafter.”

Carnival Corporation to Trim Down Cruise Newbuilding Pace - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

And from a "bible" in the industry, if you want the report:

2023 New Cruise Drydocking and Refurb Report Out Now - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

I am not paying $349 to find out something Oceania has already decided upon. Not sure when this report was put together, but it could be out of date with all the last-minute changes being made by cruise lines.

Edited by terrydtx