Constellation - Live Ultimate Americas Dec 12

ggo85

Wanted to comment on crew attitude. I can’t speak as to whether folks are sad, but we are always greeted with a smile.  Having been away from family during the holidays, I’m sure that is weighing on the minds of some of the crew. Thinking of loved ones far away at this time of year can make it harder to put on a happy face.  I also have heard a number of crew members say they are nearing the end of 7-9 month contracts. Burnout hits, no matter how hard one tries not to show it.  

As for masks,  very few people are wearing them. I’d estimate 5% of crew and a bit less than that among passengers.  My DH wears one.  They aren’t required in most places in the world.  If being surrounded by mask wearers is important, a cruise might not be the best place. 

In terms of self service for food, at the grill, the servers give you everything (e.g., onions, lettuce) other than ketchup. There does seem to be more self service in Oceanview.  

Cruising on X today looks a lot more like pre-COVID than cruising a year ago.  I suspect most people are happy about that. Some are not and they have to decide whether cruising makes sense for them. 

• Like 7

Last night we dined at Tuscan Grille and tonight at Sushi on 5.  Enjoyed the food at Tuscan. Service was good. However, I don’t think we’ll do it again — mainly because it didn’t see, that much better (if at all) than Luminae. Sushi was good. DH liked it better than Tuscan and he doesn’t love sushi.  I think because it was less crowded and not as many passengers talking loudly trying to impress everyone around them. 

Must say I’m pleasantly surprised by the number of free daily activities. There’s a lot of variety — trivia, games, dance lessons, sports.  And unlike RCCL, not every activity is trying to sell you something (e.g., foot analysis). Just things to do.  

Tried Oceanview for lunch and wasn’t super excited.  Food was tasty but not a lot of variety.  I asked for a Diet Coke and literally finished my meal before it arrived.  

What continues to amaze me is the courtesy of my fellow passengers when it comes to deck chairs.  No chair hogs on this cruise.  Not only do people take their stuff when they are finished using a chair, but they also take their towels, thus letting others know the chairs are available. It’s unusual and refreshing. And means that there are always plenty of chairs. 

Tomorrow is Day 1 in Cartegena and will report on my shore excursion. 

• Like 4

Today in Cartagena. Did the Amazing Cartagena: Bay and Walled City tour.  Mixed views.  

Started with a 30+ minute ride to the old town.  Some in Hop On bus and some of the group on a traditional Coach. We then did the walking tour.  It’s 90 minutes, mist of that standing.  Maybe a mile walk in total.  We visited a bunch of squares.  Tour doesn’t go into any museums, etc.  After that, we had a 90-minute boat tour of the harbor, which included demonstrations of local dancing. Then ride back to ship. 

The good:  on foot is the only way to see the old city.  Easy pace.  Boat trip was relaxing and neat to see city from the water.  

The good to know:  it is REALLY hot and humid.  I was about to melt and I’m usually comfortable in heat and humidity.  Most of those on the tour were feeling the heat.  I went through 3 bottles of water.  The walking isn’t strenuous but consider whether you can handle hours in the sun / shade without AC.  I can’t stress this enough.  

The bad:  they tell you that you’re going to the “emerald museum.”  That means tourist trap tiny shop with no chairs and ugly emeralds. At least there was AC. 20 minutes of my life that I’ll never get back. Also, the tour description is wrong. They tell you the boat takes you back the the ship. Not true. You take the same bus back. Finally, when you get back (sweaty and tired), you must go through this “Port Oasis.”  Consists of an aviary, food places and a small amount of shopping   It’s probably lovely if you aren’t more than ready for AC.  But a pain when you just want to get on board. Takes 5-7 minutes if you walk through without stopping. 

Yes, I’d do it again.  But it’s not for everyone.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, songbird1329 said:

We are also on this cruise.  I finally caved in and bought high speed internet, I could not access this site with basic internet.

I won’t hijack your thread, but I will also be doing a review now that I am able.

We did the recent Connie TA from Rome to Tampa and are on the March 6th sailing of the Connie to most of the same ports as y'all.  The more reviews, the better, for all of us on the following same itinerary.  ☺️

• Like 1

7 hours ago, songbird1329 said:

We are also on this cruise.  I finally caved in and bought high speed internet, I could not access this site with basic internet.

I won’t hijack your thread, but I will also be doing a review now that I am able.

I hope you be able to tell us more about the Main dining room experence and the Buffet...

I am just a commoner!!

• Like 1

Our assigned dining room is Luminae. However we often eat off the MDR menu so can comment on the food, not the service. Tonight was, for me, a disappointing MDR night. The onion soup wasn’t as good as usual and the steak was sub par. However, this was an exception not the rule. Prior to this, our MDR selections have been great, so I think you’ll be fine there.  At least 12 main course options every night - how could you go wrong ?

Oceanview (the buffet) has a variety of dinner choices. Salad station, pasta station, pizza, burgers, main courses, fruit, etc.   It’s obviously self serve.  It’s great if you want quick or want to dine in shorts.  But not the service or cuisine of the MDR — IMO. 

• Like 1

Our assigned dining room is Luminae. However we often eat off the MDR menu so can comment on the food, not the service. Tonight was, for me, a disappointing MDR night. The onion soup wasn’t as good as usual and the steak was sub par. However, this was an exception not the rule. Prior to this, our MDR selections have been great, so I think you’ll be fine there.  At least 12 main course options every night - how could you go wrong ?

Oceanview (the buffet) has a variety of dinner choices. Salad station, pasta station, pizza, burgers, main courses, fruit, etc.   It’s obviously self serve.  It’s great if you want quick or want to dine in shorts.  But not the service or cuisine of the MDR — IMO. 

A few more notes on Cartagena.  The city is amazingly clean. No trash and no graffiti. There are police and cameras everywhere, so it feels safe.  During the day, street vendors are omnipresent - they constantly come up to you. However, a shake of the head or polite “no” is enough.  It’s crowded - there were 3 ships in port plus other tourists.  

If you go into town, take water or buy it for $1 from street vendors.  You’ll need it.  A hat and sunscreen are your friends, as are comfortable walking shoes.  Suggest not wearing expensive jewelry. 

Lots of folks did the Hop On / Hop Off Bus as a ship tour. I didn’t so can’t comment. Personally, I’d suggest a ship tour or private tour.  Passengers had to be back on board at 2:30 a.m. 

• Like 3

WOW! Our experience on the Edge after Thanksgiving was totally different. There was a major rainstorm which delayed excursions by an hour. We were on a celebrity excursion. The street vendors were constantly “in our face” and we were told by our guide not to make eye contact. It really ruined our experience in old town and the fort. Half of the bus chose to go back to the bus instead of the 30 minute free time we had in the old city. We saw very few police officers. At the end of the tour we were dropped off in the dark where we had to walk through the park and then pass the duty free store. The area was poorly lighted. One man fell after stepping in an empty flower pot left in the walk way. Another passenger hurt himself the same way on another tour (found this out when I went to shore excursions the next day to share my concern). Cartagena is a port I will not choose to return too. I’ve dealt with vendors in Mexico, but not like this. No was not a response they accepted.

• Thanks 1

Interesting the different views.  Our tour did have a second “guide” who was there (IMO) to bring up the rear of the group and ensure no one was left behind. She was also there to help those who wanted to buy from a street vendor (one person did).  

I’ve found street vendors in most Caribbean ports - or those who heavily encourage you to enter their shops. Grand Cayman is a notable exception.  So I wasn’t completely surprised to see it in Cartagena (though not really a Caribbean port) as well. As our guide in Cartegena said, it’s how they earn a living. We’re not going to change that, so it’s either accept the practice for what it is or don’t get off the ship. 

We didn’t have free time, though the tour advertised it.  However, more than a few opted to stay in town and return to ship at their own expense.  

I can’t comment on Port Oasis after dark. If it’s not well lit, it could be an issue.  I’m going back to it today as I want to see the birds and it’s a very short walk from the pier.  I think that, if they really advertised it as something neat to do, instead of “forcing” you to walk through it at the end of a tour, people would like it a lot better.  

• Like 2

Wanted to finish up Cartegena with an update on Port Oasis.  It’s a mini zoo - macaws, monkeys , peacocks, flamingos.  There is a large shop made up of many small vendors (50% emeralds) and food vendors. 

Do NOT try to do it when coming off a shore excursions.  You’ll be hot and tired and it will seem like a nuisance.  DO go early in the morning when it’s a bit cooler. You can get so close to the birds.  Great photo ops.  Everyone today seemed to enjoy it.  

Based solely on conversations of folks around me, there seemed to be a lot of issues with ship shore excursions yesterday.  Today by contrast appeared to be better. 

Forgot to take menu photo tonight.  Appetizers were scallops carpaccio, kale salad, Turkey soup and braised short ribs.  Main course options were cod, NY strip steak, veal cannelloni, butternut lasagna and Moroccan chicken.  

Last night’s entertainment was a comedian.  I gave it a solid B.  For those looking for football games, it’s hit and miss.  Sometimes they’re on and sometimes not.  Think it’s what the international ESPN feed provides.  

• Like 2

I guess we must have been there on a day they were more aggressive because my husband told them no several times and they would not stop. They were In your face continually. Our tour guide say they were Venezuelans who crossed over illegally. The tour guide says that their country offers no financial help and they are not allowed to apply for jobs or go to school, so this is the only way they make money. I don’t know if this is true but this is what we were told. I am glad you had a good experience.

8 hours ago, songbird1329 said:

I agree, when I said “no gracias”, the vendors left me alone. I’m a seasoned New Yorker who has to deal with this stuff in Times Square.  There are a lot more vendors in Cartagena, but if you are firm they leave you alone,

This. "No. Gracias." if you're approached. But even better is to basically have blinders on. Don't look to one side or the other and walk purposefully. If you're walking slowly and looking around, they're going to think you're interested or they can entice you. If there's no chance for eye contact, it's going to be a lot harder for them to get your attention.

• Like 1

Two other things re Cartagena. I 100% agree with the other person posting about this cruise that you need to choose your tour carefully.  The descriptions all sound alike. However, some folks went I to churches.  Others, like ours, just stood outside.  I can’t tell if that is due to different guides or the tours themselves.  Also, the descriptions aren’t accurate in all cases.  

You can obviously do a private tour.  However, I would set this up beforehand and carefully vet the entity you choose.  Several people just rented a cab but some found the drivers spoke no English.  And that could be dangerous in Colombia - probably ok but you aren’t sure.  

Attached are a few pix from the Port Oasis. 

53772CB9-8C9A-4292-91C6-5C99F4149625.jpeg

AC991C84-C741-4C9D-B561-EF4502A7CBB4.jpeg

• Like 1

We went to Cartagena January 2020 on a Panama Canal Tour.

We had signed up for an excursion to Emerald Jewelry making workshop. But sister went to a different elevator with Mom in mobility scooter than i did and we missed our tour bus.

We went out and there were people offering Taxi guided tours. I hired a car with driver and guide to just take us to workshop making clear that was what i wanted. Guide tried to talk us into ditching our excursion and doing a city taxi tour with him. He was pressuring us. Sister noticed we were swinging way wide of destination. We are getting a little panicky.(detour was for Bay of water). We did get to jewelry workshop and thoroughly enjoyed workshop, museum, and store. A apprentice jewelry maker helped tour people make 3 pieces of jewelry, with a real but very low quality Emerald rock and silver wire. One piece of our choosing was free. If we wanted to buy our second two pieces it cost more money but very reasonable.

As for security:

The taxi had to register it destination before leaving the port and register when it reached the destination. This registration was one or two people at a counter with radios or walkie -talkies and papers. So it seemed taxis were under tight oversight.

The guide remarked on a tourist couple on their own with the man having a big expensive camera hanging in front of him. Guide said that was dangerous to be such a tempting target for robbery.

Sorry for not posting yesterday. When I finish the tale, think you’ll understand. 

In Panama we did the Panama Canal Locks and Calubra Cut Cruise.  First, the good.  It is a half transit of the canal. We started in the middle (Gatun Lake), went through the cut (narrowest part) and exited in the Pacific Ocean.  The locks are spectacular. The fact these are the originals from more than 100 years ago is amazing.  If you’ve ever wanted to do a PC cruise, this is a shorter and worthy substitute.  When the gate opens, it’s almost majestic.  

So, the bad.  The tour was supposed to take 8 hours.  It took 10 hours and 15 minutes.  Why so long?   Don’t have a good explanation. One of the guides said it “always takes 9 hours” for the transit (plus 1.25 hour bus ride each way). Another guide blamed it on the time it took for the big ship in the lock with us to get there.  Who knows?

Lunch consisted of a small salad with no dressing, 2 chicken strips, a bit of pasta and a cookie.  Only drinks were water (plenty of it), regular Coke and ginger ale.  Beer was available for a while at $2 a can. That was the only food and drink for 10.25 hours.  

The plastic chairs were fine for the first 5-6 hours but then much less so the last 3.  While there is shade on the boat, we were outside in the heat and humidity most of the time.  There was a small number of inside chairs but the AC wasn’t all that powerful, so still pretty warm.  

After clearing the last lock, we had another 1.5 hours of puttering to get back to the buses.  Then, when we finally arrived back at the pier at 6:45 pm (we were supposed to be back at 5), we inexplicably had to sit on the bus for another 20 minutes because someone decided only one bus should offload at a time.  We finally got to our cabin at 7:10, more than 2 hours late.  

The ship was supposed to depart at 6 and had to wait for us.  Thankfully, it did.  We were tired. Ate and went to bed. 

Would I do it again?  Yes. However, I’d  be more prepared (bring food and drinks, chair cushion, etc). 

BC6EEC3D-0A79-4754-896F-9F133A4C0661.jpeg

FB212FFD-D3B9-4666-83DB-761119F24C26.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today in Puerto Limón, Costa Rica.  Did Tortuguero canal cruise.  Went without a hitch.  Had a great guide.  About 90 minutes on the canal.  Saw many sloths, birds, a poisonous frog (pictured below) and a crocodile.  

At the pier, there is a collection of shops.  Mostly local stuff.  Vendors are NOT pushy.  Great place to pick up a few last minute souvenirs at a decent price.  Overall, a fun day.  

Had peppered tuna for dinner, which was excellent.  Service in Luminae has improved greatly from first night, though it’s always crowded.  The sommelier is a weak spot.  Part of the problem is that he also has to procure mixed drinks. They should have someone else designated for that. 

92B489FE-7011-4FE9-97DB-92C9E7ED2F27.jpeg

133113C8-2E9A-4E59-9C8B-065188534940.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ggo85 said:

Sorry for not posting yesterday. When I finish the tale, think you’ll understand. 

In Panama we did the Panama Canal Locks and Calubra Cut Cruise.  First, the good.  It is a half transit of the canal. We started in the middle (Gatun Lake), went through the cut (narrowest part) and exited in the Pacific Ocean.  The locks are spectacular. The fact these are the originals from more than 100 years ago is amazing.  If you’ve ever wanted to do a PC cruise, this is a shorter and worthy substitute.  When the gate opens, it’s almost majestic.  

So, the bad.  The tour was supposed to take 8 hours.  It took 10 hours and 15 minutes.  Why so long?   Don’t have a good explanation. One of the guides said it “always takes 9 hours” for the transit (plus 1.25 hour bus ride each way). Another guide blamed it on the time it took for the big ship in the lock with us to get there.  Who knows?

Lunch consisted of a small salad with no dressing, 2 chicken strips, a bit of pasta and a cookie.  Only drinks were water (plenty of it), regular Coke and ginger ale.  Beer was available for a while at $2 a can. That was the only food and drink for 10.25 hours.  

The plastic chairs were fine for the first 5-6 hours but then much less so the last 3.  While there is shade on the boat, we were outside in the heat and humidity most of the time.  There was a small number of inside chairs but the AC wasn’t all that powerful, so still pretty warm.  

After clearing the last lock, we had another 1.5 hours of puttering to get back to the buses.  Then, when we finally arrived back at the pier at 6:45 pm (we were supposed to be back at 5), we inexplicably had to sit on the bus for another 20 minutes because someone decided only one bus should offload at a time.  We finally got to our cabin at 7:10, more than 2 hours late.  

The ship was supposed to depart at 6 and had to wait for us.  Thankfully, it did.  We were tired. Ate and went to bed. 

Would I do it again?  Yes. However, I’d  be more prepared (bring food and drinks, chair cushion, etc). 

BC6EEC3D-0A79-4754-896F-9F133A4C0661.jpeg

FB212FFD-D3B9-4666-83DB-761119F24C26.jpeg

You got better photos than I did.  

it was definitely an adventure though, wasn’t it?  Glad they held the ship for us,

Edited by songbird1329

On 12/17/2022 at 11:21 PM, Lazy in NC said:

I guess we must have been there on a day they were more aggressive because my husband told them no several times and they would not stop. They were In your face continually. Our tour guide say they were Venezuelans who crossed over illegally. The tour guide says that their country offers no financial help and they are not allowed to apply for jobs or go to school, so this is the only way they make money. I don’t know if this is true but this is what we were told. I am glad you had a good experience.

We were in Cartagena in 2019 and loved it. The walled city was wonderful, shops, restaurants, no aggressive street vendors. It all felt very safe.

We are on this cruise, and wow what a difference three years makes. Our tour guide also blamed the two million illegal Venezuelans for the aggressive street vendors. The walled city was mobbed, but so many stores and restaurants had closed (guessing… just guessing… it was reduced tourism the last few years).

Our guide drove us around the city, and it is very poor. And, the drivers are crazy!!

One thing, we were exited through the mini aviary/zoo. The swarm of “tour guides” and taxi/Uber drivers waiting just outside the gate to pounce was overwhelming. It could be frightening for the elderly or a woman alone. I will say that once I said we were waiting for our tour guide, word was quickly spread in Spanish and we were only approached by a few potential vendors after that.

The aviary/zoo is charming! Where else can you have a coffee  or beer and watch a peacock stroll by, or the parrots try and mooch fruit?