Has anyone upgraded to Yacht Club while already onboard?

Stockjock

If so, what the pricing like compared to pre-cruise standard booking pricing, or MSC Upgrade pricing?

As an unrelated side note, I just had an MSC customer service agent call the MSC Virtuosa the "MSC Very Tossia".

Edited by Stockjock
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

If so, what the pricing like compared to pre-cruise standard booking pricing, or MSC Upgrade pricing?

As an unrelated side note, I just had an MSC customer service agent call the MSC Virtuosa the "MSC Very Tossia".

Friends of us have done it. Full prices. Do not expect to become cheaper fares on Yacht Club. It would not be fair for the ones who book in advance. Yacht Club is known by its better product than normal MSC experience. It might be worth it for you to book that experience in advance.

Ivi

I have to disagree with TravelBerlin, at least based on our experience.  In October, we were on Meraviglia for a 7-night cruise in YC interior.  Pre-cruise upgrade offer was about $2000 total.  On boarding, I went to the Concierge desk and asked to be signed up for a potential upgrade.  We were first on the list and moved into a Y1 before sail away.  Cost was about $525.  She said it was about $75/night/couple.  We took it and enjoyed. To my mind, it is simply a case of supply and demand with time factored in (the ship is about to sail, the upgraded room is available, and how much does MSC think the room is worth at the last minute?).  In March we were on a B2B in a physically challenged interior YC room (I do qualify for the ADA allowance).  We asked about upgrading to the a physically challenged room with balcony.  Cost quoted was $560 or so.  DW didn't want to move mid-cruise, so we turned it down.  That is twice where the upgrade can be done and is cheaper.  Going through the concierge is key, I think.  If you were outside of YC, I don't know if general reception would be willing to take the time to investigate the feasibility and availability.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JAGR said:

I have to disagree with TravelBerlin, at least based on our experience.  In October, we were on Meraviglia for a 7-night cruise in YC interior.  Pre-cruise upgrade offer was about $2000 total.  On boarding, I went to the Concierge desk and asked to be signed up for a potential upgrade.  We were first on the list and moved into a Y1 before sail away.  Cost was about $525.  She said it was about $75/night/couple.  We took it and enjoyed. To my mind, it is simply a case of supply and demand with time factored in (the ship is about to sail, the upgraded room is available, and how much does MSC think the room is worth at the last minute?).  In March we were on a B2B in a physically challenged interior YC room (I do qualify for the ADA allowance).  We asked about upgrading to the a physically challenged room with balcony.  Cost quoted was $560 or so.  DW didn't want to move mid-cruise, so we turned it down.  That is twice where the upgrade can be done and is cheaper.  Going through the concierge is key, I think.  If you were outside of YC, I don't know if general reception would be willing to take the time to investigate the feasibility and availability.

Hard to imagine that MSC wouldn't want to take in some additional revenue for an otherwise unused cabin.  Having a vacant cabin does no good for them.

17 hours ago, JAGR said:

Thanks for posting your experience. In your case, you were already in yacht club. Even though it was an inside cabin. The upgrade was not from a fantastica or bella or aurea experience to the yacht club but from one cabin to the other inside already of the yacht club. 
My friends experience was from a balcony fantastica to a yacht club cabin including the experience. They paid the full price. 
Ivi

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, travelberlin said:

Thanks for posting your experience. In your case, you were already in yacht club. Even though it was an inside cabin. The upgrade was not from a fantastica or bella or aurea experience to the yacht club but from one cabin to the other inside already of the yacht club. 
My friends experience was from a balcony fantastica to a yacht club cabin including the experience. They paid the full price. 
Ivi

Thanks, Ivi:  That's why I mentioned at the end that I didn't think it would work if attempting to upgrade from a non-YC booking.  Wasn't sure what Stockjock's original booking level was.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2022 at 1:21 PM, Stockjock said:

You are assuming that there is an available cabin that bid for upgrade did not fill.

Now I do not see that happening as they are sailing with more passengers.

I see maximizing dollars by bidding, not cheap upgrades now.

29 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

You are assuming that there is an available cabin that bid for upgrade did not fill.

Now I do not see that happening as they are sailing with more passengers.

I see maximizing dollars by bidding, not cheap upgrades now.

As of 2 days ago, they had 5 YC Deluxe suites available, for a sailing in a week and change.  As of this morning, looks like 2 YC available.

I've gone back and forth with MSC upgrade, cancelling several bids and later reinstating them.  As of this writing, I have a bid in place.

Edited by Stockjock

On 12/16/2022 at 8:56 PM, JAGR said:

...In October, we were on Meraviglia for a 7-night cruise in YC interior.  Pre-cruise upgrade offer was about $2000 total.  On boarding, I went to the Concierge desk and asked to be signed up for a potential upgrade.  We were first on the list and moved into a Y1 before sail away.  Cost was about $525.  She said it was about $75/night/couple.  We took it and enjoyed....

You may recall I thanked you for said info' a few weeks ago as we had a 14 Night Antilles Caribbean YIN booking from Barbados, disembarking last week. When we enquired, there were no YC1s available but advised that upon reaching Martinique or Guadeloupe availability may arise. In the event there was no availability, but there was a 'no show' for a YC1 the following day in St Maarten.

We were offered said cabin for remaining 8 nights, by the YC Director, at a rate of 80 euros pppn, totalling 1280 euros. When I baulked at that they said OK given it's late afternoon now, we will call it 7 nights so the quote reduced to 1120 euros. That is 1000GBP or approximately $1200.

Continuing to baulk, I suggested they had to do muuuuuuuuuuch better. The response was, I'm very sorry but we need to maintain the integrity of recognised pricing in order to be respectful to guests who booked the YC1 at higher prices. Analysis apparently shows clearly that the difference between YIN and YC1 is said 80 euros pppn.

So, the cabin remained empty for the remainder of our cruise through to Barbados. Seems crazy, but that's the business model and they were not allowed to negotiate. Clearly different business model for the Miami cruises!

Edited by hamrag
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, hamrag said:

You may recall I thanked you for said info' a few weeks ago as we had a 14 Night Antilles Caribbean YIN booking from Barbados, disembarking last week. When we enquired, there were no YC1s available but advised that upon reaching Martinique or Guadeloupe availability may arise. In the event there was no availability, but there was a 'no show' for a YC1 the following day in St Maarten.

We were offered said cabin for remaining 8 nights, by the YC Director, at a rate of 80 euros pppn, totalling 1280 euros. When I baulked at that they said OK given it's late afternoon now, we will call it 7 nights so the quote reduced to 1120 euros. That is 1000GBP or approximately $1200.

Continuing to baulk, I suggested they had to do muuuuuuuuuuch better. The response was, I'm very sorry but we need to maintain the integrity of recognised pricing in order to be respectful to guests who booked the YC1 at higher prices. Analysis apparently shows clearly that the difference between YIN and YC1 is said 80 euros pppn.

So, the cabin remained empty for the remainder of our cruise through to Barbados. Seems crazy, but that's the business model and they were not allowed to negotiate. Clearly different business model for the Miami cruises!

That is a shame!  We all know that consistent inconsistency is MSC's claim to fame.  In the examples I experienced, all communication was through the staff at the concierge desk.  They had a set price in mind, and didn't appear to have to go to "the back room" and get approval from the Hotel or YC director.  It may be unique to Florida cruises, but it sounds like you sailing was more micro managed perhaps than ours.  Hope you still had a great time.  Best wishes for the holidays!  John

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hamrag said:

Thanks for posting this. I am glad that MSC takes into account that their prices in Yacht Club can’t be discounted without limits. This is fair to all passengers who pay full prices.

Ivi

• Like 4

20 hours ago, JAGR said:

....In the examples I experienced, all communication was through the staff at the concierge desk.  They had a set price in mind, and didn't appear to have to go to "the back room" and get approval from the Hotel or YC director.....

....Hope you still had a great time.  Best wishes for the holidays!  John

It was the concierge I dealt with initially, and they said YC was full for the duration of our cruise. The discussion was reported to the YC Director who then engaged directly with me but still involved the concierge.

We had a great time inasmuch as we were desperately 'needing' this break and totally relaxed, spending much more time onboard than usual. The YIN was absolutely fine, the cabin a good size, only real downside is coffin sized shower which is manageable but definitely not for 'oversized' passengers. We found the YC product has deteriorated, and this was our worst (not bad) YC experience having been YC six times in total. Last years transatlantic on Seaview, to the Antilles, under Covid-19 restrictions was much better!

The inconsistencies across various YCs is incredible, and a large part of the problem we believe to be poor training of YC staff. We also are aware that the World Cup in Qatar used World Europa YC to accommodate WAGs from the top teams. The ship was berthed in Doha for the duration, and we speculated that the cream of YC crew may have been picked off the various ships and transported there. The various football associations would have been paying megabucks for this, and WAGs certainly know what they want in terms of highest service levels.

Edited by hamrag