Semi live from the constellation dec12 ultimate Americas

songbird1329

19 hours ago, songbird1329 said:

Today was a sea day.  We slept in and had a late breakfast in the buffet,

I actually put on a bathing suit and enjoyed the pool deck.  The Thelasotherapy pool worked wonders on my bad knees and aching back.  

also played a few rounds of trivia in the reflections lounge.

Tonight is “evening chic”, our second and final one for this cruise.  We’re planning to go to the early show in the main theater.  We have a late reservation for Tuscan Grill.

Are you winning at trivia ( to collect "points for prizes") ?

17 hours ago, songbird1329 said:

Lounging on our balcony tonight.  PSA — just because you can’t see the folks on the next balcony does not mean you are actually alone.  Yes, I heard every word of your “private” conversation …

This absolutely bears  repeating. It seems that many people new to balcony cruising don't realize they are, in some cases, inches away from a stranger. 

Speak, and act accordingly! 

• Like 1

Ah, Mexico.

As I may have mentioned, my undergrad  degree is in history, and my boyfriend is a semi retired teacher whose favorite subject is Social Studies.

cue the Indiana Jones music.

This was our third visit to Cozumel.  On our first visit we did a beach day, having seen Mayan ruins at Altun Ha in Belize earlier in the cruise.  Second trip was an all-day excursion to Chichén Itza.  Very intense but worth the effort.

This trip we chose to visit the ruins at San Gervasio.  Interestingly we visited on the day of the winter solstice, but too late in the day to see the Sun line up with the ruins.  This is a small site, dedicated to the moon and to fertility rites.  It’s got a very different vibe than either of the other sites we visited.  The path through the jungle is mostly walkable.  There are areas where you’re stepping over rocks and tree roots, but mostly the path is smooth.  One older gentleman in our group could not finish the tour.  One woman regretted wearing  sandals — ants started to crawl over her feet when she stood in the tall grass.  Despite my bad back and bad knees I was able to finish the tour.

The guide told us than there are a lot of ruins on the island that have not yet been excavated

.625B8190-F594-49EF-A2F6-69618D0B1380.thumb.jpeg.1d644c4b8d6022a11ec0c7b845e37add.jpeg

762B8751-A506-4F69-8EF9-269A50FE1C0D.thumb.jpeg.d092e2f7a4d5c5193d1af66c5da2c50e.jpeg

60336E94-7F7F-4FB8-A139-A558EFB99592.thumb.jpeg.e30f603123bdd1375961e99664fe104b.jpeg  

a few additional notes.  There were at least 7 cruise ships in port — we were berthed next to the Disney Magic — but nothing felt overly crowded.  There’s a huge shopping area at the port, I bought a few souvenirs …

also note the pharmacy.   Mexico allows over the counter sales of *****, amoxicillin, etc., so when I ducked into the drugstore to buy mouthwash I had to wait on a very long line …

Sorry, this is our last night of the cruise,  our luggage is in the hall.  😢😢😢

Last day was a sea day.  Breakfast in the main dining room.  Played trivia, swam in the thelassotherapy pool (bad knees/bad back), played more trivia.  Boyfriend redeemed his tickets for a t shirt.Dinner in the main dining room, and then we saw the show — a singer named Charity Lockhart followed by a repeat performance from attraction.  Then back to our cabin to pack.

Right now I’m having a bit of anxiety about flying home.  The weather reports are not good…

I have come to the conclusion that there is no easy way to disembark from a cruise.  But the way Celebrity does it isn’t terrible.  We waited in the theater until our number was called.  Collected our luggage and got on line to clear US Customs — not a lot of fun.  We booked the airport shuttle through Celebrity, and the bus was waiting for us as soon as we finished with the government.  Our flight is delayed (no surprise), so now we’re hanging at the airport. 🙄🙄🙄

final thoughts.  Great cruise, the staff and most of the passengers were very nice (raspberries to the guy who asked me where I was going and then insulted my home town to my face).  A few minor glitches here and there — the worst was when the battery died in the key card reader and we couldn’t get into our cabin— but the staff made extra effort to address problems.  It was our first cruise on Celebrity but I wouldn’t hesitate to book another cruise on this line.

And to whoever swiped my boyfriend’s blue cashmere sweater, I hope you get exactly what you deserve.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, songbird1329 said:

final thoughts.  Great cruise, the staff and most of the passengers were very nice (raspberries to the guy who asked me where I was going and then insulted my home town to my face).  

Curious about your home town.

I grew up in Patchogue.

2 hours ago, HannaRay said:

We very much enjoyed this cruise, too. But both came home with Covid. Sigh. Happy holidays, all!

i am sorry to hear that.

my daughter picked us up at the airport and made us wear masks in her car because “you just got off a floating Petrie dish.”  considering she actually had COVID when we picked her up after she flew home from Paris last summer, I completely understood her concern,

• Like 1

Quick question for those on this cruise. 

We are doing the same itinerary in February and just wondering should testing restrictions remain as they are by the time we go. What’s the testing procedure for Columbia, as I believe it you still have to test as an entry requirement to the country.

Our party consists of 2 double vaccinated and 2 who have had 2 boosters, if that makes any difference.  

10 hours ago, Dezmo said:

Quick question for those on this cruise. 

We are doing the same itinerary in February and just wondering should testing restrictions remain as they are by the time we go. What’s the testing procedure for Columbia, as I believe it you still have to test as an entry requirement to the country.

Our party consists of 2 double vaccinated and 2 who have had 2 boosters, if that makes any difference.  

If you are fully vaccinated you do not have to test.  We showed our cards when we boarded the ship, and that was the end of any inquiry.  

• Thanks 1

Very good review..thank you for sharing.. We have never taken this itin but have been to a few of the  stops. never been to Cozumel ruins..maybe next time!

we are hoping to cruise from Tampa..  2 hr drive from our winter place..which makes it tempting

We live in Suffolk NY near Patchouge. .and would not defend NYC...We only go there if we need advanced  med care.. Has seen a terrible decline... dirty and unsafe!  sad about rude passenger. 

18 hours ago, songbird1329 said:

I still love the city.  My daughter lives on the East Side and couldn’t be happier.

The ruins at San Gervasio aren’t magnificent like Chichén Itza, but they are fascinating.

May  be worth a visit even if not extensive.  We  visited Altun Ha at Costa Mayo which were very interesting. I recall that the.roads getting there were very rough.   How far was San Gervasio from the pier?

glad you are home safe. an avoided the recent SW Airline  meltdown.    hoping to fly from TPA to Islip Sunday..fingers crossed flts not cancelled. 

Happy New Yr

4 hours ago, hcat said:

May  be worth a visit even if not extensive.  We  visited Altun Ha at Costa Mayo which were very interesting. I recall that the.roads getting there were very rough.   How far was San Gervasio from the pier?

Altun Ha is in Belize.

We visited Altun Ha in 2010, Chichén Itza in 2016, and San Gervasio this cruise.

San Gervasio is smaller than Altun Ha and not as impressive.  But worth a visit.  We learned new things at each site.

It’s a very short bus ride from the pier.  I don’t remember exactly, but I think it was less than 30 minutes.   Short bus ride, easily navigated paths through the jungle, and the usual shops selling souvenirs.  Very do-able.