Check in time versus embarkation time - any reason for earlier?

fordpickup

Hi! Is there any reason to have an earlier check in time at the pier (like is there an ordered queue or boarding group)? If check in as 10 and embarkation is 12 - is there any benefit? I'm not a higher tier Latitudes person or Haven guest. This is out of San Diego on the Jewel.

There are boarding groups. The earlier you get to the port the better boarding group you’ll get and the faster you’ll be on the ship.

That being said we usually plan to arrive to the port around 12:30PM so that the lines have cleared up and we can basically walk through security and check in and just get to the ship very fast without waiting in lines 😊

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, fordpickup said:

Hi! Is there any reason to have an earlier check in time at the pier (like is there an ordered queue or boarding group)? If check in as 10 and embarkation is 12 - is there any benefit? I'm not a higher tier Latitudes person or Haven guest. This is out of San Diego on the Jewel.

Unless one needs to make dining reservations, ( no show reservations on Jewel class ships) or has a hankering to meet up with one of their old friends, Jack Daniels, at a local watering hole, it makes no difference. They'll have all week to explore the ship!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, cruiserbear55 said:

Unless one needs to make dining reservations, ( no show reservations on Jewel class ships) or has a hankering to meet up with one of their old friends, Jack Daniels, at a local watering hole, it makes no difference. They'll have all week to explore the ship!

Thanks! We have six people and weren't able to make reservations other than 5.30 or 9.30. I guess getting on early makes sense for us for that one reason.

36 minutes ago, fordpickup said:

Thanks! We have six people and weren't able to make reservations other than 5.30 or 9.30. I guess getting on early makes sense for us for that one reason.

No one boards until the ship has been cleared of all passengers from the previous cruise.

The earlier you arrive at the pier, the longer you will wait to board.

1 hour ago, fordpickup said:

Regardless of what is on your edocs, Priority boarding starts around 11:00. General boarding starts no later than 11:30. [Normally]. 

It will take 30-45 mins to get through the security and check in lines. Getting on early allows you to fix any dining reservations and get the party started before it gets too crowded. 

We show up early to avoid the security and check in lines. And get lunch started straight away. 

Edited by BirdTravels

5 hours ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

There are boarding groups. The earlier you get to the port the better boarding group you’ll get and the faster you’ll be on the ship.

That being said we usually plan to arrive to the port around 12:30PM so that the lines have cleared up and we can basically walk through security and check in and just get to the ship very fast without waiting in lines 😊

a totally agree with the 12:30 arrival time.  You breeze thru security, check-in and walk right on the ship.  No waiting.  On my last cruise, the rooms were already ready when I got on board at 12:30 so I was able to go right to the room and put my bag away.