Celebrity's 9 night Italian Rivera and France

NCteacherlovescruising

1 hour ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

It sounds like the train is the cheapest way to Florence from Livorno, although a bus is faster.  Correct?  Does Celebrity offer a shuttle from the port to the train station?  I didn't see it offered under excursions. 

In terms of straight-up travel time, the train is faster. But what will ultimately matter is which train you're able to get on versus what time a bus might be departing. 

Celebrity in the past has not offered a shuttle from the port to the train station; only NCL does this. (Of course, subject to change at any time.). Port shuttles are generally not listed under shore excursions however. They are usually only announced once onboard (in the talk given about each port and in info in the daily).

• Thanks 1

Just now, cruisemom42 said:

In terms of straight-up travel time, the train is faster. But what will ultimately matter is which train you're able to get on versus what time a bus might be departing. 

Celebrity in the past has not offered a shuttle from the port to the train station; only NCL does this. (Of course, subject to change at any time.). Port shuttles are generally not listed under shore excursions however. They are usually only announced once onboard (in the talk given about each port and in info in the daily).

That's disappointing.  Without a shuttle, what's the best way to get to the train station?  Or should we just book a tour bus?  I would like to maximize our time in Florence.

Just now, NCteacherlovescruising said:

That's disappointing.  Without a shuttle, what's the best way to get to the train station?  Or should we just book a tour bus?  I would like to maximize our time in Florence.

There are four options; none of them are ideal. Unfortunately Florence has had the same situation for years and has not tried to make it better for passengers....

OPTION 1:  Try to get a taxi at the port to take you to the train station. If you can find a taxi captain, they may be able to assist you as licensed taxis are SUPPOSED to take riders in the queue to their destination. Unfortunately, many taxi drivers refuse the short fare because they are in line for what they hope will be all day tours to Pisa and Florence, etc.  A few years ago we had some luck offering a flat fee of 25 euro for four people (you can usually find another couple waiting in line, or maybe arrange with someone onboard that you meet). It's a rip-off but it does get you to the train station quickly. (NOTE: This tends to work best when you are among the first off the ship because the taxi driver usually would have time to take your fare and get back in line for a longer trip.)

OPTION 2:  Take the cruise line port shuttle (usually a small fee) which drops off in the central piazza in Livorno (Piazza Grande). From there, you can catch a public bus (local #1) to the train station. Tickets for the local bus can be purchased at the kiosk ("Tabacchi") on the piazza and should be validated on the bus. If you're short on time or don't want to hassle with the public bus, there is also a taxi stand at the piazza; they would be much more likely to be willing to make the short trip to the train station.

OPTION 3:  Take a transportation-only round-trip bus offered by your cruise line. 

OPTION 4:  Use the info given above to get the Piazza Grande and then take the transfer such as the one described in the link below to Florence and back. (The con with this plan is that you have a R/T ticket and you may want to stay signficantly longer in Florence since you don't have to rush back to your ship for a departure.)

https://www.shore-experience.com/transfer-to-florence-from-the-port-of-livorno/

55 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

There are four options; none of them are ideal. Unfortunately Florence has had the same situation for years and has not tried to make it better for passengers....

OPTION 1:  Try to get a taxi at the port to take you to the train station. If you can find a taxi captain, they may be able to assist you as licensed taxis are SUPPOSED to take riders in the queue to their destination. Unfortunately, many taxi drivers refuse the short fare because they are in line for what they hope will be all day tours to Pisa and Florence, etc.  A few years ago we had some luck offering a flat fee of 25 euro for four people (you can usually find another couple waiting in line, or maybe arrange with someone onboard that you meet). It's a rip-off but it does get you to the train station quickly. (NOTE: This tends to work best when you are among the first off the ship because the taxi driver usually would have time to take your fare and get back in line for a longer trip.)

This sounds like it may be the easiest.  When time gets closer I could check my roll call to see if anyone would want to share a taxi to the train station.

OPTION 2:  Take the cruise line port shuttle (usually a small fee) which drops off in the central piazza in Livorno (Piazza Grande). From there, you can catch a public bus (local #1) to the train station. Tickets for the local bus can be purchased at the kiosk ("Tabacchi") on the piazza and should be validated on the bus. If you're short on time or don't want to hassle with the public bus, there is also a taxi stand at the piazza; they would be much more likely to be willing to make the short trip to the train station.

This sounds like a pain and as you said, time consuming.

OPTION 3:  Take a transportation-only round-trip bus offered by your cruise line. 

I don't see a transportation only round trip bus on our excursion list.  They have some excursions, which of course are much more than diy, and our "free time" in Florence is limited to 3-4 hours.  I don't think that's enough to hit the sites we want to see.  Here's the options that are possible.  I could always cancel one of the other excursions I booked and replace it with one of these:

image.thumb.png.6c161a416d551629bc37e297e64f017e.png

image.thumb.png.31fdd05d2aab9122465d0a77ebe321af.png

image.thumb.png.b61f8899a5584c3ec795ef69fce98bb7.png

Do they get some compensation for taking us to this leather factory or something?  Would that be a good place to buy leather goods or a tourist trap?

OPTION 4:  Use the info given above to get the Piazza Grande and then take the transfer such as the one described in the link below to Florence and back. (The con with this plan is that you have a R/T ticket and you may want to stay signficantly longer in Florence since you don't have to rush back to your ship for a departure.)

https://www.shore-experience.com/transfer-to-florence-from-the-port-of-livorno/

I can't check for our date yet, but can check again at a later date.

2 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

and for the 22-until we head to Athens around the 1st.  We are splitting the time between Rome, Tuscany (day trips most likely) and either Sorrento or the Amalfi Coast.  Should we do 5 days Rome/4 along the coast or more time in Rome?  I know we will do at least one day trip to Tuscany. 

I like your new plan.

I would suggest getting your tickets to Athens first, so you know at what time you have to be at the airport and which airport.  There are two airlines:

https://www.ita-airways.com/en_us/  (ITA is the old Alitalia)

https://en.aegeanair.com/ 

Check out the prices and time tables from both Rome and Naples.

If you fly out from Rome, you might want to go to the Amalfi Coast first and then to Rome.  In that way, you have a straight forward transfer to the airport from your hotel.

If you fly out from Naples, you should do the Amalfi Coast second.

Also, if you do three nights (two full days) in the Amalfi Coast, you can see Pompeii on the afternoon you arrive on your way to your hotel.  The first full day day you can go along the AC to Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. The second full day you can go to Capri.  The last morning transfer to the Naples airport or to Rome depending on which order you are doing it.

26 minutes ago, marazul said:

I like your new plan.

I would suggest getting your tickets to Athens first, so you know at what time you have to be at the airport and which airport.  There are two airlines:

https://www.ita-airways.com/en_us/  (ITA is the old Alitalia)

https://en.aegeanair.com/ 

Check out the prices and time tables from both Rome and Naples.

If you fly out from Rome, you might want to go to the Amalfi Coast first and then to Rome.  In that way, you have a straight forward transfer to the airport from your hotel.

If you fly out from Naples, you should do the Amalfi Coast second.

Also, if you do three nights (two full days) in the Amalfi Coast, you can see Pompeii on the afternoon you arrive on your way to your hotel.  The first full day day you can go along the AC to Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. The second full day you can go to Capri.  The last morning transfer to the Naples airport or to Rome depending on which order you are doing it.

This is what I wanted to do originally, but dh said no. I absolutely love the itinerary!!  We will be gone a little over a month because the first cruise starts in Barcelona on the 13th. Our plan is to fly there on the 10th, arrive on the 11th. That hotel is booked. Cruise ends on the 22nd and our NCL cruise isn’t until July 3-12. We plan to fly out of Venice on the 13th.  With the extreme temps over there now, dh agreed to this itinerary if we could cut back on some expenses with excursions and hotels, which I have done.  Bye-bye to the canal view hotel in Venice and hello to rooms by the train/bus station, and most likely an interior room in Rome. I still want a sea view on the coast. 🤪 

I will check the airlines you mentioned for our flights to Athens. Thanks!  We will fly there on or around the 1st.  

Which airport do I select?  

IMG_0781.thumb.png.30a9e0306bbc4c5af99d1bdeb024fd39.png

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

Nevermind. It’s FCO. ITA has flights available now. We either have to pay a premium to fly in in the AM or fly late at night but then we wouldn’t have access to a hotel all day, which I wouldn’t like. Oh and the luggage. If you want to bring anything at all, it costs more. Lol Is that a reputable airline? I assume it is since you recommended them. 

21 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Oh and the luggage. If you want to bring anything at all, it costs more. Lol Is that a reputable airline?

Small European carriers tend to charge extra for everything, including luggage. 

Yes, it's a reputable airline.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Small European carriers tend to charge extra for everything, including luggage. 

Yes, it's a reputable airline.

Thanks!  We are booking from Rome, so we will be doing the Amalfi Coast first.  The flight from Naples is twice as long and has a plane change for apx the same amount of money. 

22 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Thanks!  We are booking from Rome, so we will be doing the Amalfi Coast first.  The flight from Naples is twice as long and has a plane change for apx the same amount of money. 

Check Aegean Air.  They run specials often and may be less than ITA. It could be a little early for them to list next year's flights.

1 hour ago, marazul said:

Check Aegean Air.  They run specials often and may be less than ITA. It could be a little early for them to list next year's flights.

Just checked them again and now our dates are showing.  Much cheaper than ITA.  Booked. Thanks!  

• Like 1

I found affordable, nice hotels in Amalfi and Praiano. Is one location better than the other?  I see Praiano is closer to Positano but Amalfi is supposed to be a beautiful town as well and it looks like it’s next to Ravello, which I also heard is top 3. Both have sea views and good ratings on Trip Advisor. 

2 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Pricing hotels and I’m a bit confused. 
IMG_0787.thumb.jpeg.e707959ddf0c792ac4ceb002eb1003a2.jpeg

Is the above 1,335 euros? So apx $1,498?

In some European countries they reverse the use of commas and periods when using large numbers. So the total you list above would be 1,335.00 if using American punctuation.

Reading an introductory chapter about travel in Europe from a good guidebook would answer a lot of these questions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

I found affordable, nice hotels in Amalfi and Praiano. Is one location better than the other?  I see Praiano is closer to Positano but Amalfi is supposed to be a beautiful town as well and it looks like it’s next to Ravello, which I also heard is top 3. Both have sea views and good ratings on Trip Advisor. 

Stay in Amalfi. It has good beaches and lots of restaurants.

Ravello is gorgeous, don't miss it.

Also, better transportation connections. All ferries stop in Amalfi. Some may skip Praiano.

Edited by marazul

When you are limited to summer high season travel, the driving factor in your hotel decision, beyond price, should be access to ferry transportation.  There is no other realistic way to get around on the coast in the summer.  Praiano is lovely, but there's no way to get there or back other than land transportation, or walking.

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

In some European countries they reverse the use of commas and periods when using large numbers. So the total you list above would be 1,335.00 if using American punctuation.

Reading an introductory chapter about travel in Europe from a good guidebook would answer a lot of these questions.

I assumed that's what it was, but wasn't sure.  What book would you recommend?  I bought Rick Steves Mediterranean Cruise Ports but it is so big I found it a bit overwhelming and never read it.  Perhaps I will try to read the introduction this week, as well as some of the ports we will be visiting.

1 hour ago, marazul said:

Stay in Amalfi. It has good beaches and lots of restaurants.

Ravello is gorgeous, don't miss it.

Also, better transportation connections. All ferries stop in Amalfi. Some may skip Praiano.

Thank you!  Yes, we will certainly go to Ravello as well!

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

When you are limited to summer high season travel, the driving factor in your hotel decision, beyond price, should be access to ferry transportation.  There is no other realistic way to get around on the coast in the summer.  Praiano is lovely, but there's no way to get there or back other than land transportation, or walking.

Thanks you!  

When looking online, we couldn't get a Superior room at Albergo del Senato so I emailed them.  I woke to their reply this morning.  I was searching for 6 days on either end (June 22-July 1).  They couldn't accommodate us for that, but did offer us a superior on June 22-27.  It's not ideal, but we took it.  They gave us a discounted rate so it was too good to pass up, although we would have preferred staying at the tail end since we're flying out of Rome!  I just booked the Hotel Residence Amalfi June 27-30.  That could give us plenty of time to explore Amalfi, Ravello, and Positano.  But now this leaves us needing a room in Rome on the 30th because we have a flight out of Rome on the 1st to Athens.  We won't be picky and may stay near the airport.  I assume the Hotel in Amalfi will hold our belongings if we want to hang out a bit before heading to Rome.  According to google it's about 4 hours.  I don't know if that takes traffic into account but we won't be in a rush. It's all coming together and I have a several on these boards to thank!  😍 I don't want to name names because I'm scared I will forget someone.

I see a private transfer would cost a fortune, which I don't want to do both directions.  Would taking a ferry to Salerno and then a train to Rome be the best option for us?  Or perhaps a ferry to Sorrento and then a train to Rome.  If we do the second, would there be a place to store our luggage so we could do some shopping in Sorrento for a couple hours?  

I see a private transfer would cost a fortune, which I don't want to do both directions.  Would taking a ferry to Salerno and then a train to Rome be the best option for us?  Or perhaps a ferry to Sorrento and then a train to Rome.  If we do the second, would there be a place to store our luggage so we could do some shopping in Sorrento for a couple hours?  

If you take a train out of Sorrento, you have to change trains in Naples.

You will have plenty of shopping opportunities in Amalfi and Positano.  There is nothing different in Sorrento - maybe more inlaid wood picture and cameo shops (some made in China), but that's it.

The easiest is the Salerno connection.  It will also have more frequent and shorter ferry connections.

For your last night consider staying in the town of Fiumicino.  It is on the sea, it has very good restaurants and it is a 10 minute taxi ride to the airport.

For travel guides look up the Insight Guides and the DK Guides for each of the areas you are visiting.  They will really give you an idea of the places you are visiting.  Great pictures, great details and suggestions.  They are both sold on Amazon and your library probably has some.  You don't need the most recent editions.  The towns and landscapes don't change and 90% of the restaurants will be the same.

Since you have three nights in Amalfi consider taking the ferry to Capri one of those days. You can decide that on the spur of the moment.

Edited by marazul

31 minutes ago, marazul said:

If you take a train out of Sorrento, you have to change trains in Naples.

You will have plenty of shopping opportunities in Amalfi and Positano.  There is nothing different in Sorrento - maybe more inlaid wood picture and cameo shops (some made in China), but that's it.

The easiest is the Salerno connection.  It will also have more frequent and shorter ferry connections.

For your last night consider staying in the town of Fiumicino.  It is on the sea, it has very good restaurants and it is a 10 minute taxi ride to the airport.

Oh, thanks!  Salerno it will be!!  

I already booked the Hotel Colosseum for the 30th, but it's a refundable rate so I can certainly look into your suggestion. 

For travel guides look up the Insight Guides and the DK Guides for each of the areas you are visiting.  They will really give you an idea of the places you are visiting.  Great pictures, great details and suggestions.  They are both sold on Amazon and your library probably has some.  You don't need the most recent editions.  The towns and landscapes don't change and 90% of the restaurants will be the same.

Thanks!  I will look for these.  I'm on Amazon on a daily basis.  lol

Since you have three nights in Amalfi consider taking the ferry to Capri one of those days. You can decide that on the spur of the moment.

We are taking a Celebrity excursion to Capri from Naples, using OBC.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

What book would you recommend?  I bought Rick Steves Mediterranean Cruise Ports but it is so big I found it a bit overwhelming and never read it.  Perhaps I will try to read the introduction this week, as well as some of the ports we will be visiting.

I don't have that book in particular but Rick Steves' guides tend to target US travelers without a lot of experience with traveling in Europe, so reading the first chapter should help give you a handle on basic information.

Just realize that there will always be some surprises along the way -- you can't prepare for all of them. (I know, I've tried. 😁). For example, you won't find face cloths (wash cloths) in most European hotels. Apparently Europeans just don't use them. What you will find are bidets. 🤣

I don't have that book in particular but Rick Steves' guides tend to target US travelers without a lot of experience with traveling in Europe, so reading the first chapter should help give you a handle on basic information.

Now that I’ve got the major planning done, I feel like I could relax and read some of this book. All hotels have been booked, although @marazul has me considering moving by the airport instead of the train station. It would make it easier in the morning. Just waiting on plane tickets to open and a few excursions left.  It feels good, except I’m a bit over budget.  😜 We are going to carry on and deal with it.  Overall, I’m quite pleased with our plans and know we will have the time of our lives!! 🙂

Just realize that there will always be some surprises along the way -- you can't prepare for all of them. (I know, I've tried. 😁). For example, you won't find face cloths (wash cloths) in most European hotels. Apparently Europeans just don't use them. What you will find are bidets. 🤣

I’m sure there will be!  I actually knew about the face cloths because I cruised with MSC and apparently they don’t put them in your room outside of the yacht club so it was a thing for some people. I will bring disposable wipes although I don’t like them. I mean, I’ll be on my dream vacation, I’ll get over it.

• Like 1

Now that I’ve got the major planning done, I feel like I could relax and read some of this book. All hotels have been booked, although @marazul has me considering moving by the airport instead of the train station. It would make it easier in the morning. Just waiting on plane tickets to open and a few excursions left.  It feels good, except I’m a bit over budget.  😜 We are going to carry on and deal with it.  Overall, I’m quite pleased with our plans and know we will have the time of our lives!! 🙂

Is this your Italy to Athens flight?  If so, Aegean airlines has a direct flight from Naples to Athens in the morning. Same price as Rome to Athens.  You might want to consider taking the ferry (or other transfer) to Naples and staying there the night before and then a hotel transfer or taxi to the airport in the morning. This is one time when you should pick a very nice, safe hotel by the port.  It would save you the time and aggravation of getting through Rome.  For example, look at these hotels:

https://www.royalgroup.it/royalcontinental/en/hotel

https://www.eurostarshotels.co.uk/eurostars-hotel-excelsior.html

You could email them and ask if they can arrange for a transfer to the airport.

If not in Naples, staying in Fiumicino should be good.

Edited by marazul

On 7/16/2023 at 5:31 PM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Do they get some compensation for taking us to this leather factory or something?  Would that be a good place to buy leather goods or a tourist trap?

You ask a terrific question and the answer is a bit complex,  Cruise lines are businesses and are about making a profit.  Most lines (not all) use a third party to operate their shore excursion program.  The excursions are purchased from local tour companies.  Everyone makes a profit, so the third-party company marks up the cost, and then the cost is marked up even more so that the cruise line gets their cut.  That is called capitalism.  But when an excursion takes you to a leather factory, pottery factory, anything factory, various stores, etc. they are generally not doing it to be nice.  In some cases, the tour company may own part of all of the "factory" or get a very nice kick-back for bringing excursion groups to the business,  Some of us think that the term "tourist trap" is a much too mild term. 

So, the next question is are you going to get a good deal on a quality product at those places?  Maybe yes, maybe no.  We think the answer is generally no but you really have to look at the specific case. 

Hank