Celebrity's 9 night Italian Rivera and France

NCteacherlovescruising

I've always wanted to visit Italy and I love cruising, so we booked Celebrity's 9 night Italian Rivera and France cruise.  It's in June 2024 and we'll be celebrating our 30th anniversary.  This is our Itinerary:

Barcelona  Depart 5 PM

At sea

Provence (Marseille) France 7-6

Nice (Villefranche) France 8-7

Santa Margherita, Italy 8-6

Florence/Pisa (Laspezia) Italy - Overnight June 18 7 AM-Jun 19 6 PM * Love that this is overnight

At sea

Naples, Italy 7-6

Rome, Italy 6AM

We plan to go to Barcelona a couple days early, and stay in Rome 3-4 days after.  We have never been to Europe so we have no idea what to expect.  Will language be an issue for us or will most people speak English?  Should we stick to ship excursions?  I can't imagine finding our way around when we don't know their language.  What are must see's during the cruise?  (Not in Barcelona and Rome, I have a good idea of what we'll do there)  Should we do Pompeii or Sorrento and the Amalfi coast when in Naples?  Since we're overnight in Florence, would it be easy to do Florence and Pisa on a private excursion or better off sticking to the ships?  We are into good wines.  Where should we do a winery tour?  I found one on Viator I like, "Tuscany day trip from Rome including 3 course lunch and wine tasting".  Not sure that's our best option.  I'd love to see a beautiful winery with excellent red wines.

Thinking of staying in a VRBO in Rome, if so what area?  

It's so aggravating that cruise lines list La Spezia as a port for Florence.  I would seriously consider overnighting in Florence so you can have enough time to enjoy this beautiful city.  It will take about two hours each way to travel back and forth by car and about the same (or a little less, depending on connections) by train.

People in tourist facing industries speak English, there's no need to yolk yourselves to ship excursions.

There is a very long and thorough thread at the top of the page that discusses hotels in Rome. I suggest skimming through it as there is a lot of discussion about location, and the location recommendations would be the same whether you're looking at a hotel or at VRBO.

The Ligurian coast is charming, so I'd suggest you spend your time visiting Portofino and Santa Margherita from that port.

As euro cruiser says, La Spezia is a loooong way from Florence. If Florence and Pisa are your goals, I agree an overnight would be a much better option than going back and forth from the ship -- you'd lose four hours of time each day.  La Spezia is also a place from which people visit the Cinque Terre, but for a first visit (and especially if you're already seeing Portofino and Santa Margherita), I agree you should focus on Florence and vicinity.

As for Naples, there is plenty of choice. You'll have to figure out what is more interesting to you and your party as there is no single answer. If you like history and ruins, head for Pompeii and/or Herculaneum and/or the Archaeological Museum in Naples.  The Amalfi Coast is a beautiful drive, but for me it's a lot of sitting and not as much time as I'd like in each place. Do not give in to the temptation to combine the Amalfi Coast with Pompeii -- you will only get the TINIEST taste of each one.  Of course there is also Capri, which is extremely easy to do on your own as the ferries leave from the pier that's right next to where the cruise ships dock.

Regarding wineries, which Italian red wine is your favorite? I'd go from there when determining what area/wineries to visit. If you have four days in Rome and want to do a Tuscan wine tour, that's probably one of the better options. However, if you only have 3 days in Rome, you might be pressed for time to see its main sights at a reasonable pace that allows for some relaxation as well.

16 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

It's so aggravating that cruise lines list La Spezia as a port for Florence.  I would seriously consider overnighting in Florence so you can have enough time to enjoy this beautiful city.  It will take about two hours each way to travel back and forth by car and about the same (or a little less, depending on connections) by train.

People in tourist facing industries speak English, there's no need to yolk yourselves to ship excursions.

You are the second person to recommend staying overnight in Florence.  I told my husband how far from the port it is and he agrees.  What part of the city should we book?  Marriott properties would be preferred, but not required.

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

There is a very long and thorough thread at the top of the page that discusses hotels in Rome. I suggest skimming through it as there is a lot of discussion about location, and the location recommendations would be the same whether you're looking at a hotel or at VRBO.

The Ligurian coast is charming, so I'd suggest you spend your time visiting Portofino and Santa Margherita from that port.

As euro cruiser says, La Spezia is a loooong way from Florence. If Florence and Pisa are your goals, I agree an overnight would be a much better option than going back and forth from the ship -- you'd lose four hours of time each day.  La Spezia is also a place from which people visit the Cinque Terre, but for a first visit (and especially if you're already seeing Portofino and Santa Margherita), I agree you should focus on Florence and vicinity.

As for Naples, there is plenty of choice. You'll have to figure out what is more interesting to you and your party as there is no single answer. If you like history and ruins, head for Pompeii and/or Herculaneum and/or the Archaeological Museum in Naples.  The Amalfi Coast is a beautiful drive, but for me it's a lot of sitting and not as much time as I'd like in each place. Do not give in to the temptation to combine the Amalfi Coast with Pompeii -- you will only get the TINIEST taste of each one.  Of course there is also Capri, which is extremely easy to do on your own as the ferries leave from the pier that's right next to where the cruise ships dock.

Regarding wineries, which Italian red wine is your favorite? I'd go from there when determining what area/wineries to visit. If you have four days in Rome and want to do a Tuscan wine tour, that's probably one of the better options. However, if you only have 3 days in Rome, you might be pressed for time to see its main sights at a reasonable pace that allows for some relaxation as well.

I did look at that hotel thread briefly.  I need to go back and pay more attention to location.  

Based on recommendations, I do believe we will overnight in Florence.  Again, where should we look?

We need to do some ship excursions to utilize some of our OBC.  I booked while on the ship so we have $1350.  Which ports would you think would be best for ship excursions?

We will decide on how many days, once we figure out how much of our budget will be used for accommodations and plane tickets.  He hasn't even set a budget yet, which is a good sign!  We like lots of wines, especially big, bold reds.  More earthy, less fruit forward.  We tend to buy more Napa Cabs and French Bordeaux's, but also enjoy some Italian and Spanish wines.  If we visit a winery, we would want to go to one that is beautiful.  I can drink good wine anywhere, I want the experience of a beautiful winery with a nice glass of wine.

2 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

LOL!  🙄🤣 Yoke!  No more late night posting!

We've all been there!  lol

The only Marriott properties in the heart of historic Florence are the Westin and the St. Regis, the location is good (the are practically next to one another, overlooking the Arno) but wow, are they expensive.

I've stayed at the Machiavelli Palace a couple of times, it's right in the middle of things and reasonably priced but it doesn't have a lot of amenities.  That may not be all that important for a one night stay.

Hotel Machiavelli Palace | 3 Star Hotel Florence Center

3 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

You are the second person to recommend staying overnight in Florence.  I told my husband how far from the port it is and he agrees.  What part of the city should we book?  Marriott properties would be preferred, but not required.

I did look at that hotel thread briefly.  I need to go back and pay more attention to location.  

Based on recommendations, I do believe we will overnight in Florence.  Again, where should we look?

We need to do some ship excursions to utilize some of our OBC.  I booked while on the ship so we have $1350.  Which ports would you think would be best for ship excursions?

We will decide on how many days, once we figure out how much of our budget will be used for accommodations and plane tickets.  He hasn't even set a budget yet, which is a good sign!  We like lots of wines, especially big, bold reds.  More earthy, less fruit forward.  We tend to buy more Napa Cabs and French Bordeaux's, but also enjoy some Italian and Spanish wines.  If we visit a winery, we would want to go to one that is beautiful.  I can drink good wine anywhere, I want the experience of a beautiful winery with a nice glass of wine.

We've all been there!  lol

Chianti wines are famous in that region. Perhaps you can find a tour to Greve then arrange to be dropped off in Florence? Or rent a car (scary!), B&Bs or “pensioni” are charming alternatives to hotels, if you like Italian ambiance. 

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

The only Marriott properties in the heart of historic Florence are the Westin and the St. Regis, the location is good (the are practically next to one another, overlooking the Arno) but wow, are they expensive.

I've stayed at the Machiavelli Palace a couple of times, it's right in the middle of things and reasonably priced but it doesn't have a lot of amenities.  That may not be all that important for a one night stay.

Don't want to stay somewhere too expensive.  The place you linked looks fine.

1 hour ago, GreenFamily said:

Chianti wines are famous in that region. Perhaps you can find a tour to Greve then arrange to be dropped off in Florence? Or rent a car (scary!), B&Bs or “pensioni” are charming alternatives to hotels, if you like Italian ambiance. 

We wouldn't rent a car.  lol  

6 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

You are the second person to recommend staying overnight in Florence.  I told my husband how far from the port it is and he agrees. 

We like lots of wines, especially big, bold reds.  More earthy, less fruit forward.  We tend to buy more Napa Cabs and French Bordeaux's, but also enjoy some Italian and Spanish wines.  If we visit a winery, we would want to go to one that is beautiful.  I can drink good wine anywhere, I want the experience of a beautiful winery with a nice glass of wine.

Yes, you should stay in Florence overnight.  The most efficient option is to take the ship's shuttle there.  Check in to your hotel and tour all day.  Get tickets in advance if you want to go to the Uffizi or the Accademia (Michelangelo's David).   

For the following day, I have an idea that could be a little pricey, but would accomplish a lot of things that you want to do and that would not be possible using public transport.  Book a private tour that would pick you up at your hotel, take you to Pisa, then to a winery for tasting and lunch, and then back to the ship.  There are a number of tour companies mentioned on this board.  Just ask for price quotes.  

Edited by marazul

Herculaneum is a short taxi ride and very doable. We hired a guide after we arrived - history professor(!). It's a former resort town and closer to the volcano, so different effect than Pompeii. Still an active dig sight. Really great experience.

We also recommend spending a night in Florence (make sure to notify Guest Services and your steward).  Ideally, you should choose a hotel in the heart of town, and not too far from the train station (we assume you will use the train to get to/from the port) so that most things are within walking distance.  There are lots of good restaurants in Florence, but during the tourist season it is wise to have made an advance reservation.   Doing an overnight in the city is a real game changer and gives you a lot more time to enjoy this fabulous city.  Decent hotels, in Florence, can book-up pretty far in advance so consider making a reservation that is cancelable, so you have something locked-in.  You can always later cancel if you change your mind.

Hank

Florence is possible from La Spezia but not if you want to see Pisa.  I would avoid ship tours as they will most times stop at a leather store and eat into your time.  We use Rome in Limo.  It is expensive compared to ship tours.  $750 euro gets you a private Mercedes and English speaking driver/ tour guide.  They can navigate the city for you and take you exactly where you need to and want to go and no frivolous stop at a sponsored store.

By car it is about an hour and half to an hour and 45 each way.  Should get you about 5 hours in the city.  Get the lay of the land, see the highlights and then go back and stay longer if you fall in love with the city. (and you will)

In Santa Margherita you can either to Portofino or Cinque Terra.  I prefer Portofino and you can do both if you get a private tour.

Language is not a problem but I would learn a few greetings like Buon Giorno (good day) or buona note (good evening).  Avoid Ciao as it is used more for if you are familiar with the individual (casual greeting)  Ig you at least try the language they will know you are not Italian and speak English with you.  Same goes for France.  It is more important in France to at least try a greeting from my experience.

Amalfi Coast when in Naples is our preference.  Either ship tour or private.  Rome in Limo was our choice last trip.  Ship tour stops at a broach factory.  Not our thing.

Good luck and have a fabulous time.

As a rule, we don't take ship excursions, unless it involves ferries, like Capri, or St. John from St. Thomas...

We had excellent private tours in Italy with Joe Banana (https://www.joebananalimos.net/) and RomeinLimo (https://www.romeinlimo.com/). 

I second the suggestion to overnight in Florence and use some of your OBC for the transfer there ("Florence on your own"?) one way, and a private tour which will return you to ship via Pisa and a winery of your choice.

For a taste of the Amalfi coast I'd book one which will take me to Positano, Amalfi and Ravello, with its amazing views.

We've done Santa Margherita, Portofino and Rapallo by car, so can't give any advice. BUT, if you find a private tour which will take you to Cinque Terre, that will be awesome.

I'd use the OBC for Marseille (Aix-en-Provence) and for Nice (Eze).

As for Rome, we like to stay near the Pantheon. This one is practically "inside 😉" the Pantheon (https://www.cathysluxuryhome.it/en/) and this hotel is a mere 5 mins walk to the Pantheon and popular with cruisers (https://www.argentinastylehotel.com/en/).

On 12/29/2022 at 1:10 PM, euro cruiser said:

There is also an AC Hotel in Florence.  It's somewhere on the other side of the Centro Storico about a 15 minute walk to the train station.     If you don't mind a non-brand, I stayed at the Urban Market Hotel this summer and I loved it.  about a 5 minute walk from the train station and about the same to the Mercato Centrale and another 5 to the Duomo.  I didn't partake of the breakfast there - I went next door to the coffee shop for a nice cappuccino and a cornetto.   

Also, it doesn't matter if you do not speak Italian or Spanish.  Google Translate on your smartphone is your friend!  You can even take photos of menus and it will translate.  Be sure, though to learn a few things - bongoirno, bonanote, dove e un bagno, grazie, prego..   Donde hay un bano, Buenos dias, buenos noches, gracias, de nada - it goes a long way when you try the basics!

Edited by slidergirl

One last recommendation: Read the book, The Invitation, by Lucy Foley before your cruise. It’s a well-written, lightly romantic post-WWII story that starts in Rome and makes its way to Cannes, along the mediterranean coast. It includes vivid descriptions of Rome and the small towns near the ports your cruise will be visiting. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all your inputs!  We are going with Rome in Limo for day 1. They will pick us up at the port and take us to Pisa, Lucca and a winery. It’s expensive, 750 euros, so we may not spend the night in Florence. We also splurged on a suite, which is another reason to return to the ship. However, if someone from our roll call decides to join us, which would help with the cost, we may change our minds again. 

On 1/2/2023 at 9:03 AM, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Thanks for all your inputs!  We are going with Rome in Limo for day 1. They will pick us up at the port and take us to Pisa, Lucca and a winery. It’s expensive, 750 euros, so we may not spend the night in Florence. We also splurged on a suite, which is another reason to return to the ship. However, if someone from our roll call decides to join us, which would help with the cost, we may change our minds again. 

You'll be soooo glad you chose RIL! I've used them multiple times, fabulous tours. 

You may wanna consider them for Naples as well, if you're planning on Pompeii or Sorrento/Positano,   they will get you to the sites much quicker and it's so nice to have your own driver who will do anything in their power to make your day special. 

Patty

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cw2go said:

You'll be soooo glad you chose RIL! I've used them multiple times, fabulous tours. 

You may wanna consider them for Naples as well, if you're planning on Pompeii or Sorrento/Positano,   they will get you to the sites much quicker and it's so nice to have your own driver who will do anything in their power to make your day special. 

Patty

Thank you!  While I think Pompeii would be cool to see, we are doing so much history stuff on this trip that I'm thinking of something totally different here, like the Amalfi Coast.

Just now, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Thank you!  While I think Pompeii would be cool to see, we are doing so much history stuff on this trip that I'm thinking of something totally different here, like the Amalfi Coast.

You will love your trip, after all of the posting between us, I wish we were on the same sailing so I could see and hear from you first hand about how much you love it. 

I've done the Amalfi Coast with RIL, again amazing. Ravello was where  I realized I was in Italy for the first time. It was my "Wow This Is Real" moment. 

Had a special lunch up in the hills, all arranged by them. 

https://www.latagliata.com/

Patty 

10 minutes ago, cw2go said:

You will love your trip, after all of the posting between us, I wish we were on the same sailing so I could see and hear from you first hand about how much you love it. 

I've done the Amalfi Coast with RIL, again amazing. Ravello was where  I realized I was in Italy for the first time. It was my "Wow This Is Real" moment. 

Had a special lunch up in the hills, all arranged by them. 

https://www.latagliata.com/

Patty 

That would have been nice if we were on the same cruise!  

I'm looking at a Celebrity excursion, Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast.  It starts in a coach, then a private boat cruise, followed by a walk around town with a guide and lunch. It sounds absolutely lovely to me and we have a lot of OBC to use.  https://www.celebritycruises.com/account/cruise-planner/category/pt_shoreX/product/NPI6?bookingId=8875111&shipCode=EQ&sailDate=20240613

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

That would have been nice if we were on the same cruise!  

I'm looking at a Celebrity excursion, Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast.  It starts in a coach, then a private boat cruise, followed by a walk around town with a guide and lunch. It sounds absolutely lovely to me and we have a lot of OBC to use.  https://www.celebritycruises.com/account/cruise-planner/category/pt_shoreX/product/NPI6?bookingId=8875111&shipCode=EQ&sailDate=20240613

I do the same, use OBC where I feel it best suits me, tour on our own and book private tours. Amalfi coast is gorgeous! 

Patty

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

This port has been changed to Livorno.  It appears to be much closer to Florence than La Spezia and shore excursions are fairly cheap to get there and back on a bus.  An overnight stay is not as important from here, correct?  I'm thinking one day in Florence and the next a ship excursion (using OBC) to Pisa and a beach.

Due to the extreme heat over there now, dh has agreed to keep this cruise in mid June, instead of the MSC cruise mid July.  I know many of you said there isn't a lot of difference between June and July, but we are hoping to get there before the worst of their summer.  We are still combining this with the NCL cruise, just doing this before instead of after.  Originally he said we couldn't combine these two cruises, but these temps changed his mind! lol We can't change the NCL date since we are cruising with friends.  Since this one is a lot more expensive, but we had a lot of OBC, we booked Celebrity excursions for every port, except day one in Livorno.  We have used all our OBC now, except what our TA will give us, which will be used for laundry and the hair salon. It sounds like the train is the cheapest way to Florence from Livorno, although a bus is faster.  Correct?  Does Celebrity offer a shuttle from the port to the train station?  I didn't see it offered under excursions.  We will do this our first day in Livorno so we won't need to rush back to the ship.  We are going to start booking hotels.  Unfortunately, it looks like Albergo del Senato is sold out of superior rooms already, although I did email them to make sure.  After they respond, if we can't get one with a view, we will probably stay of Hotel Smeraldo to save money.  Not only is this cruise more expensive, there are more days between cruises as well so I'm adjusting plans to stay within budget.  This will have us there about a month.  Nothing will change with NCL cruise, where we are making group decisions.

6/13 Barcelona  Depart 5 PM

6/14 At sea

6/15 Provence (Marseille) France 7-6  - Aix-en-Provence

6/16 Nice (Villefranche) France 8-7 - Nice and Eze discovery

6/17 Santa Margherita, Italy 8-6 - Cinque Terre

6/18-19 Florence/Pisa (Livorno) Italy - Overnight June 18 7 AM-Jun 19 6 PM  - Pisa and beach day 2

6/20 At sea

6/21 Naples, Italy 7-6  - Day in Capri on your own

6/22 Rome, Italy 6AM

As you can see, all I need is a plan for the 18th in Florence (by plan I am referring to transportation.  I have a good idea of what sights I want to see) and for the 22-until we head to Athens around the 1st.  We are splitting the time between Rome, Tuscany (day trips most likely) and either Sorrento or the Amalfi Coast.  Should we do 5 days Rome/4 along the coast or more time in Rome?  I know we will do at least one day trip to Tuscany.  We are debating on taking the train or a bus.  @cruisemom42, as you suggested, this will be my one thread with questions.  

• Thanks 1