Overpaying balance due with Carnival gift cards and having a credit

EllieinNJ

My balance on my next Carnival cruise is $1379.62.  If I pay with 3 $500 Carnival gift cards, I would have a credit of $120.38.  Would this amount go to my on board account as a refundable OBC?  I know I can also purchase 3 $100 gift cards and pay the balance with my cc.  I also plan on prepurchasing some excursions.  What do you think is the best way?

there is no such thing as overpayment

since you have 3 gift cards you will be making 3 separate transactions to pay off the balance

transactions 1 and 2 will use up both 500 dollar gift cards 

transactions 3 you will only use up 379.62 out of 500 dollars on that gift card. The remaining 120.38 stays on the card 

you can use the remaining gift card balance for other things pre cruise like transfers, shore excursion, wifi, etc, etc. 

If you want to use the remaining balance for things onboard the ship then bring the card or the card information with you. use the kiosk or guest services to add the gift card to your onboard foilo account 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/29/2022 at 9:39 AM, shof515 said:

there is no such thing as overpayment

since you have 3 gift cards you will be making 3 separate transactions to pay off the balance

transactions 1 and 2 will use up both 500 dollar gift cards 

transactions 3 you will only use up 379.62 out of 500 dollars on that gift card. The remaining 120.38 stays on the card 

you can use the remaining gift card balance for other things pre cruise like transfers, shore excursion, wifi, etc, etc. 

If you want to use the remaining balance for things onboard the ship then bring the card or the card information with you. use the kiosk or guest services to add the gift card to your onboard foilo account 

I’m in the same situation. However, when I pay the $329 with the $500 gift card, it shows a balance on the gift card as $0? Do they send a new card with the balance? Or?

18 minutes ago, Ryno3628 said:

I’m in the same situation. However, when I pay the $329 with the $500 gift card, it shows a balance on the gift card as $0? Do they send a new card with the balance? Or?

Are you sure it shows a 0 balance on the card and not a 0 balance on the remaining amount owed?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryno3628 said:

I think I noticed this glitch when I used a gift card to purchase excursions, if you're talking about the same thing I'm thinking about. It'll only deduct what's needed to pay the $329, and leave the rest on the card.

Check the gift card balance here, before and after the purchase:

Carnival - Check Your Balance (ourgiftcards.com)

Edited by PrincessArlena'sDad

OP here.  I didn't want to take a chance in splitting up the gift cards so I wound up paying for my two cruises all with gift cards and the balances under $100 each with a credit card that was running a special for booking travel.