NCL Star for Antarctica

ziggyuk

We are very interested to do an Antarctica trip but NCL use the Star, I actually like the smaller ships but as the Star does not have an observation lounge. For those with experience, how is it as a ship, does the lack of lounge mean the bars and atrium are really busy?
My alternative for an almost identical trip & cost would be Celebrity Eclipse, but I have no experience or status with Celebrity.

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

We are very interested to do an Antarctica trip but NCL use the Star, I actually like the smaller ships but as the Star does not have an observation lounge.

You are of course talking about "drive by" cruising to Antarctica (so I assume an expedition cruise with landings is not on the table). 

I haven't sailed on the Star, but I have been to Antarctica, and I think you've perhaps answered your own question in terms of taking a mostly (and very) cold weather cruise to an exquisitely beautiful part of the world (what an understatement) on a ship with no indoor observation lounge. 

My alternative for an almost identical trip & cost would be Celebrity Eclipse, but I have no experience or status with Celebrity.

Celebrity's S-class ships, of which the Eclipse is one, are stunningly beautiful.  (I've sailed on the Eclipse and the Silhouette.)  And the Eclipse does have the Sky Lounge, an indoor, forward-facing observation lounge, in addition to the Solarium, which is an indoor pool (in addition to the outdoor pools).   I enjoy both NCL and Celebrity, for different reasons.  But if I had a choice between sailing on the Eclipse and sailing on the Star, it would be the Eclipse for me.   (With the caveat that you haven't specified the itineraries, although I think it would be hard for me ever to pick the Star over the Eclipse.)  

Edited by Turtles06

We are very interested to do an Antarctica trip but NCL use the Star, I actually like the smaller ships but as the Star does not have an observation lounge. For those with experience, how is it as a ship, does the lack of lounge mean the bars and atrium are really busy?

This is a cruise seriously considering myself. Have sailed on Star a couple of times before refurbishment, one from LA to Miami then across the Atlantic to Copenhagen in 2014. The other from Hong Kong to Singapore, in 2016, where the ship had serious propulsion issues. More recently in October this year enjoyed a cruise on Star from Southampton to France and Spain. Like yourselves I do prefer the smaller ships and Star has many advantages, especially the walk around promenade and open top deck. This means plenty of outdoors viewing opportunities of course, and from every angle, which is great in kind weather conditions or climate, or if you are happy to wrap up well !! The downside is that the lower decks can get crowded including the atrium and bars as well as the corridors. There are windows on the lower deck bars and eating venues but they become very sought after !! Yes, the lack of a forward lounge with big windows and seating is a shame though no doubt that would be busy as well. The ship though felt good, comfortable, happy crew and with a decent choice of bars, food and entertainment.

We cruised the South Atlantic on Norwegian Sun in 2008, including Argentina, Falkland Islands and Chile, and it is the most amazing experience. The scenery and wildlife is incredible. The weather in December was also pretty kind to us. That ship had a lounge forward so if you include the outdoor decks it was ideal. To add Antarctica to your itinerary  adds up to a most incredible voyage. 

Certainly worth doing on whatever ship I feel however researching other ships and lines is a good idea.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

You are of course talking about "drive by" cruising to Antarctica (so I assume an expedition cruise with landings is not on the table). 

I haven't sailed on the Star, but I have been to Antarctica, and I think you've perhaps answered your own question in terms of taking a mostly (and very) cold weather cruise to an exquisitely beautiful part of the world (what an understatement) on a ship with no indoor observation lounge. 

Celebrity's S-class ships, of which the Eclipse is one, are stunningly beautiful.  (I've sailed on the Eclipse and the Silhouette.)  And the Eclipse does have the Sky Lounge, an indoor, forward-facing observation lounge, in addition to the Solarium, which is an indoor pool (in addition to the outdoor pools).   I enjoy both NCL and Celebrity, for different reasons.  But if I had a choice between sailing on the Eclipse and sailing on the Star, it would be the Eclipse for me.   (With the caveat that you haven't specified the itineraries, although I think it would be hard for me ever to pick the Star over the Eclipse.)  

Thank you so much, I so wish an expedition cruise with landings could be possible but I just can't justify the costs, if only 😍
I felt I had already answered my own question but am Just nervous about sailing a new line on such an important cruise, I think you are right though the choice is obvious.

Here is the itinerary, I have done Buenos Aires & Montevideo before, the Falkland Island (home from hone) will be amazing too.

STA-14-SAM-BUE-46461%20(7).png

1 hour ago, robins11 said:

This is a cruise seriously considering myself. Have sailed on Star a couple of times before refurbishment, one from LA to Miami then across the Atlantic to Copenhagen in 2014. The other from Hong Kong to Singapore, in 2016, where the ship had serious propulsion issues. More recently in October this year enjoyed a cruise on Star from Southampton to France and Spain. Like yourselves I do prefer the smaller ships and Star has many advantages, especially the walk around promenade and open top deck. This means plenty of outdoors viewing opportunities of course, and from every angle, which is great in kind weather conditions or climate, or if you are happy to wrap up well !! The downside is that the lower decks can get crowded including the atrium and bars as well as the corridors. There are windows on the lower deck bars and eating venues but they become very sought after !! Yes, the lack of a forward lounge with big windows and seating is a shame though no doubt that would be busy as well. The ship though felt good, comfortable, happy crew and with a decent choice of bars, food and entertainment.

We cruised the South Atlantic on Norwegian Sun in 2008, including Argentina, Falkland Islands and Chile, and it is the most amazing experience. The scenery and wildlife is incredible. The weather in December was also pretty kind to us. That ship had a lounge forward so if you include the outdoor decks it was ideal. To add Antarctica to your itinerary  adds up to a most incredible voyage. 

Certainly worth doing on whatever ship I feel however researching other ships and lines is a good idea.

Thank you for sharing your experience, having experienced the Breakaway I am very cautious about sailing another ship without an observation lounge. I love the Jewel class and will be sailing the Spirit in March.
The wildlife will be the highlight for us so you make me excited with your comments, the Falkland Islands will of course be our boots on land as Antarctica will be a drive by.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2022 at 12:36 PM, Turtles06 said:

We are taking the South America Antarctica cruise with Norwegian Star because cheaper than the Celebrity one.  It took me awhile to decide, but I also chose the Star because I wanted to go in January.  Celebrity was booked for that time, only inside available.  

Here are the reviews of the star (I’m on the getaway now and was reading recent reviews of the getaway and there was a string of terrifying ones recently so out of curiosity I went to look at the stars reviews because I sailed that ship to the Baltics 9 years ago.  

they’re not much better

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=198

these are the reviews specifically for south america

https://www.cruisecritic.com/norwegian-ncl-norwegian-star-south-america-cruises_cl24-sh198-de136/mra/

• 7 months later...
On 12/30/2022 at 11:27 AM, ziggyuk said:

We are very interested to do an Antarctica trip but NCL use the Star, I actually like the smaller ships but as the Star does not have an observation lounge.  ...

We did the NCL Star for Panama Canal cruise early 2019, and one of the things that the ship's team announced was that in order to get the best experience (of the canal) you should not sit in one location that day, once should move around the ship to get different perspectives and views. It was amazing topside, stern, and they even had the bow open for passengers that day too. I also went down to the cabin on deck 6 briefly to collect another battery pack and witnessed the canal wall sliding by about 2 feet out. Surreal.

Obviously Antarctic weather will be different, but we will apply the same principle of not staying on one location. perhaps a little more viewing from indoors.

4 hours ago, Starlight Durban Cruising said:

We did the NCL Star for Panama Canal cruise early 2019, and one of the things that the ship's team announced was that in order to get the best experience (of the canal) you should not sit in one location that day, once should move around the ship to get different perspectives and views. It was amazing topside, stern, and they even had the bow open for passengers that day too. I also went down to the cabin on deck 6 briefly to collect another battery pack and witnessed the canal wall sliding by about 2 feet out. Surreal.

Obviously Antarctic weather will be different, but we will apply the same principle of not staying on one location. perhaps a little more viewing from indoors.

We have actually booked since this old post and after sailing the Star around Ireland earlier this year we found it OK.
My concern at not having an observation lounge was not about a place to sit but more to do with crowding, having sailed the Breakaway with the same lack of observation lounge we found it super crowded in other areas especially the Atrium where they host everything, I won't ever sail the Breakaway again, it was awful.