A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

The excursion was not quite as described.  We did walk with a Ranger.  Unfortunately, the group was quite large and it was almost impossible to hear the Ranger talking about the various plants.

DSC00999.JPG.914187703c0ff99ab065ac001abc5706.JPG

DSC01000.JPG.2a90198caa1efb6132dccdf765929e6a.JPG

DSC01001.JPG.3600438603ea7081335dd4712a9db93e.JPG

DSC01004.JPG.14a2a01b7ea9b45b4d4c066a608461af.JPG

We were given a drink and then seated at tables to sample the nuts and spices used in Aboriginal cooking.

DSC01005.JPG.955f24dfa89cba96ccaad15cec24d003.JPG

There were 3 sauces made with the ingredients.  The pesto-like one was the best.  The tour description had said the Chef would offer cooking tips and cook kangaroo, emu and crocodile.  No cooking lesson and we were given shrimp, chicken and beef to try with the sauces.  The tour description needs a hard edit.

• Like 5

Yesterday was a sea day.  Day we were in Airlie Beach (Whitsunday), Australia.  Photos from the sail in...

DSC01014.JPG.78cf536c98cab3d9328066ea45b35dae.JPG

DSC01015.JPG.84a891ae0766995ebed8276b5125a36a.JPG

Here comes the rain....

DSC01016.JPG.b0cbecd0c30831180f361f03932b28f1.JPG

We had no excursion booked for this port.  The tender ride was expected to be a little long and the weather was not appealing.  We stayed onboard.  It did clear up in the afternoon.

Tomorrow we are in Cairns, Australia for an overnight.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

Woo hoo!  My old town. Hope you find a few Moreton Bay Bugs! 

Hoping to find them at Tha Fish on the second day in Cairns.  😁

• Like 4

We are now docked in Cairns.   Beastly hot!  Myster is going solo to the Aboriginal Rainforest Journey.   It's a 5 hour excursion and I would absolutely melt.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Pamagirri or Kuku Yalangi?

Missing an awesome opportunity if it's Kuku! Pamagirri is total tourist 🙂  (Another venue trying to recover)

It isn't going to be any better as you head north (one of the reasons I decided not to join in Sydney...  FNQ in Feb March is YUK!

Edited by MrsWaldo

3 minutes ago, MrsWaldo said:

Pamagirri or Kuku Yalangi?

Missing an awesome opportunity if it's Kuku! Pamagirri is total tourist 🙂  (Another venue trying to recover)

It isn't going to be any better as you head north (one of the reasons I decided not to join in Sydney...  FNQ in Feb March is YUK!

The excursion goes to Rainforestation Nature Park.  

10 hours ago, JoGay said:

I went and really liked it.  We thought it was charming.

I think it is all relative. Charming is probably a very appropriate term 

There are a number of better options IMHO. I’m not big on the show aspect, it is becoming a somewhat divided discussion among First Nation people especially as certain things which are done are not traditional to country or gender.

For most visiting people, it’s a brief overview of culture and of something they have little knowledge and very much like attending a theatre show with a bit of education thrown in at the side.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dawntrdr said:

It is the only included Cairns excursion currently offered for our 2025 voyage.  What are the better options?

Are you on Muse Sydney-Singapore there next February for an overnight? What are your interests -Great Barrier Reef, rainforests, aboriginal culture, restaurants? I spent 22 years working in the tourism industry in Cairns and might be able to give you some pointers. I've been out of it for 9 years now but still spend a month or so there each year on vacation.

Rather than commandeer Mysty's world cruise thread, maybe a new thread would be an idea? 

Edited by turtlemichael
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

Are you on Muse Sydney-Singapore there next February for an overnight? What are your interests -Great Barrier Reef, rainforests, aboriginal culture, restaurants? I spent 22 years working in the tourism industry in Cairns and might be able to give you some pointers. I've been out of it for 9 years now but still spend a month or so there each year on vacation.

Rather than commandeer Mysty's world cruise thread, maybe a new thread would be an idea? 

That is indeed the voyage and I have opened a roll call.  Thanks!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

Under “Cairns” in “Ports of Call”?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dawntrdr said:

It is the only included Cairns excursion currently offered for our 2025 voyage.  What are the better options?

We are on the WC and just did the Great Barrier Reef snorkeling in Cairns.  It was fantastic!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We did not venture out yesterday (our second day in Cairns) to find the Moreton Bay Bugs at Tha Fish.  Weather forecast was 70% chance of rain and possible thunderstorms.  

Today was the first of 3 sea days en route to Darwin, Australia.  We booked a Food and Wine Pairing Lunch at La Dame.  There was a $150 per person charge and it was worth every penny.

IMG_2179.jpg.f905ab48246082077490db1d9b1487e6.jpg

IMG_2181.jpg.f382527b8851dbcb8a21f71a00d78f7f.jpg

IMG_2182.jpg.d9df5786ce6f6793efd5f64d9c1b5d36.jpg

IMG_2184.jpg.83fa882da5d6d0dd6a56bfcf9cc3ba35.jpg

IMG_2186.jpg.e31355f4e155487b3c6e26387b1b2598.jpg

IMG_2188.jpg.9f2ac71fcb6f3c59ca3e61bf6461c62f.jpg

Tomorrow is a sea day.

• Like 9