Bottle Water

moking

11 minutes ago, Davechipp74 said:

I never understood why don't people just bring a refillable water bottle and just drink the free pure water that flows allover everywhere on the ship?

Some of us have weird immune systems that can’t tolerate substantial quantities of the water produced on the ship. And I do bring a refillable bottle with me.
Also there’s no bottle filling stations onboard so you have to use multiple cups to pour the water into your bottle, yep you can’t use a single cup to fill the bottle you are supposed to use as many cups as it takes to fill the bottle.  And no you can’t just stick the bottle under the tap in the buffet. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

Some of us have weird immune systems that can’t tolerate substantial quantities of the water produced on the ship. And I do bring a refillable bottle with me.
Also there’s no bottle filling stations onboard so you have to use multiple cups to pour the water into your bottle, yep you can’t use a single cup to fill the bottle you are supposed to use as many cups as it takes to fill the bottle.  And no you can’t just stick the bottle under the tap in the buffet. 

Didn't consider this, but glad you brought it up. Sometimes it seems the more ship water I drink the more bloated/thirsty I get. Maybe I should just buy some bottled water also. 

18 minutes ago, MSP_CRUISER said:

Didn't consider this, but glad you brought it up. Sometimes it seems the more ship water I drink the more bloated/thirsty I get. Maybe I should just buy some bottled water also. 

Yeah the standard response you get on here if you mention feet swelling is either 

1. Too much salt in the food (I can taste salt if it’s ott) 

or

2. You’re not used to being at sea level (I work in a building that gets hit by the waves on a regular basis, there was seaweed on the windscreen of my car after work a couple of days ago) (my mechanic hates my car)

then I came across a medical article about some people developing swollen feet due to the process used in purifying the water for drinking on the ships.  So diuretic tablets for all future cruises as that water is obviously used for the ice and cooking aboard and try to avoid it otherwise. 

Edited by eileeshb

I see many people refill bottles at the buffet - they use cups, but will it's not permitted.

My thought to the water is, the ship water got chlore added, you can smell and taste it. 

I don't know what limit NCL uses here (USA? ..) - but it's way more than the European countries permit. Even enough that our authorities recommend not to drink water to pregnant woman. 

The bottled water you buy, has a high pH value, but it's in normal borders - so I would recommend using this.

Edit: if someone is interested in the topic of drinking water, Google translate a few German articles. No country got the drinking water under so much control and laws, like Germany.

Edited by Kristall

Just now, Kristall said:

I see many people refill bottles at the buffet - they use cups, but will it's not permitted.

My thought to the water is, the ship water got chlore added, you can smell and taste it. 

I don't know what limit NCL uses here (USA? ..) - but it's way more than the European countries permit. Even enough that our authorities recommend not to drink water to pregnant woman. 

The bottled water you buy, has a high pH value, but it's in normal borders - so I would recommend using this.

My local water supply has such high chlorine content some of the blondes find their hair going green. The local hair salons have to add filter heads to their basins. We also have ridiculously high limescale levels.

18 hours ago, eileeshb said:

My local water supply has such high chlorine content some of the blondes find their hair going green. The local hair salons have to add filter heads to their basins. We also have ridiculously high limescale levels.

That's insane... our water is that tight monitored, they instant tell while cities not to drink the water if even one parameter does not match.

We take a water filter pitcher (it's not very big 6-8 cups) fill it from our room tap and keep it in our room. Our city has a lot of chlorine in the water and it works well for that here. When we go to Florida our filter litterally turns black. It's so gross. But at least we know we're not drinking all that crud.

1 minute ago, Kristall said:

That's insane... our water is that tight monitored, they instant tell while cities not to drink the water if even one parameter does not match.

They did change the source of the water here because the original source was prone to farmland run-off pollution which left us with near permanent boil notices for consumption. Remember places like Ireland have very old infrastructure, and only switched to a national-level agency with responsibility for the entire system about 10 years ago when they tried to introduce water charges for households. Ireland keeps getting censured by the EU authorities for the state of our water and waste water treatment systems. 
I remember one incident when I was a teenager that whomever was responsible for doing maintenance on the water treatment just dumped a pile of Aluminium on the shore of the reservoir  and it all got washed into the reservoir which resulted in a do not use notice for everyone served by that reservoir. The waste water/sewage in my home village got pumped directly into the sea without any treatment, they’ve just finished building a brand new treatment plant down the hill behind my parents house but are still waiting for the official license from the environmental protection agency to start using it. 

On 1/1/2023 at 6:33 PM, eileeshb said:

1) you have to use multiple cups to pour the water into your bottle, yep you can’t use a single cup to fill the bottle you are supposed to use as many cups as it takes to fill the bottle.

2) And no you can’t just stick the bottle under the tap in the buffet. 

1) No you dont...
2) This part is true and for good reason.

I would prefer to buy bottle water from the bar instead of buying a drink package for over $1000 - I just want to figure how much a bottle of water is so I can buy OBC credits to cover it.  Thanks

On 1/1/2023 at 6:18 PM, Davechipp74 said:

I never understood why don't people just bring a refillable water bottle and just drink the free pure water that flows allover everywhere on the ship?

Because this is what lurks in your ship's water... just a bit more diluted so it is not so obvious 

image.png.e790461a0ce6e9f3e1c808021ab80329.png

image.png.26a61a1d65437a7da51fecb836e27256.png

diluted with what? you think they're mixing in bottled purified water?

the ship either has adequate/safe filtration for tap water or it doesn't (wherever the hell that pic came from doesn't).  the water on the ship is fine. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, georgiacat said:

You can order water packages to be delivered to your room for less than $1000.  Look under "beverage packages".  

I am trying to buy a water pkg in the app and it won’t let me add to cart.  I’m about 30 days out, any idea why? I’ve done other purchases in the app with no issues. 

There’s usually an offer leaflet in your cabin when you arrive or by the end of the next day.

btw if you have the FAS promo on your booking you now get a 6 x 1lt cartons of Flow water included that will be delivered to your stateroom at embarkation. This was added to FAS for all sailings from the first of January regardless of when you booked. 

Edited by eileeshb

4 hours ago, macewank said:

diluted with what? you think they're mixing in bottled purified water?

the ship either has adequate/safe filtration for tap water or it doesn't (wherever the hell that pic came from doesn't).  the water on the ship is fine. 

We've never seen water like that on any cruise ship we've been on.

I think they can do two different types of "bottled" water.  We had the + version so in Maltings when we asked for water they brought us two huge 1 liter of the carton style Flow.  In another location they brought some fancy (I think it was French) bottles of still water.