Cruising from San Juan - Jan 2023

GottaKnowWhen

Thank you!

Got a call from WS to upgrade my cabin for $300......to my surprise I went for it. Now instead a port holes on deck 3, I’ve got a balcony on deck 5.

This upcoming cruise just gets better.

Now all I need is lots of bacon, some good cuts of meat and some white wine.

Im already considering my next WS cruise.....addiction is pricey

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I think that was a good move on your part. Our first cruise on the Pride we were booked into a deck 4 cabin (same one we are in now, same one we had on our previous cruise in October.) our TA arranged a free upgrade to a deck 6 French Balcony, and that was definitely nice! The large window on the deck 4-5 cabins provide good views and plenty of light, but the small balcony will be nice to have.

A favorite thing to complain about, or at least to comment on, is shipboard internet speed. Well, from my current experience, I would say that our internet speed is kinda slow. Reminds me of the times when my Commodore 64 computer was connected to the net via a 300 baud dial-up modem. Except sometimes it is good.

The destinations guy, Gonzalo, makes a point of detailing the available free wifi spots for each port. This provides a possible backup for those that need faster service for work or school access.

Stan

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

Moored off Les Saintes, Guadeloupe today. Tendered in had a walk around. Most of the excursions today involved snorkeling etc, reports back were positive. No complaints about cold water etc. There seemed to be relatively calm waters, but the swim platform on the aft end was not deployed because of the swell.

I have updated the gallery linked from my sig below (I have learned not to post too many photos here inline!)
But here is my favorite from the day…

E3301928-FE8A-472B-8028-EDDCF16EABEA.jpeg

• Like 3

This is not topic, but we are doing the Reykjavik to Montréal next Sept. Can you answer questeurs. I posted on 9/9 on Pride roll call.

How rough were the seas, what was the temperature, what did you do in Greenland and Newfoundland? We have been up and down the St. Lawrence twice we love it. Your pictures are great. Thanks. Susanne Happy Sailing

On 1/13/2023 at 8:07 AM, Strenz said:

This is not topic, but we are doing the Reykjavik to Montréal next Sept. Can you answer questeurs. I posted on 9/9 on Pride roll call.

How rough were the seas, what was the temperature, what did you do in Greenland and Newfoundland? We have been up and down the St. Lawrence twice we love it. Your pictures are great. Thanks. Susanne Happy Sailing

I can only give partial answers and some guesses.

We were on the Pride for one week around Iceland. From there to Boston we were on a Celebrity ship, late August. I don’t recall any rough seas etc, just some fog and misty rain.

In Greenland, Quartatoq, we did a ship’s excursion to a lady’s home for tea/coffee and great discussion of local life.

As far as temperatures, I plan to layer, I just cope with whatever the conditions are, and hardly pay attention or store any recollections. Probably 50s or maybe 60s Fahrenheit.

Stan

Edited by GottaKnowWhen

Yesterday we had a short day in Sint Maarten. A ship’s excursion, about 20 of us on a short bus ride to a local Skyview attraction. A quiet 30 minutes chair-lift to the top of the nearby ridge line. Some time there to take in the views, then some took a 45-second zip line to the bottom, others of us took the chair lift back down. Still working on processing photos from the last few days, here are a couple from yesterday. 
Speaking of “a couple”, one couple missed the 2:00pm departure. Because it was going to be a short trip back to San Juan, the Captain could wait for them. And wait. The crew was prowling the ship, looking for them or for anyone who might know where they were. Eventually a bit after 3:00pm their passports were sent ashore to the port agent and we left. Heard later that they were ok and planned to rejoin the ship here in San Juan today. 
Stan

20F11449-CE1C-4A15-953E-4BDB3B8721F5.jpeg

58ECC210-2D16-43EF-8089-5C2583C421BC.jpeg

DF23BD5F-E770-400A-9787-07811B5A2BF1.jpeg

The process for those of us continuing for another week was very smooth. We gathered in the lounge at 9:00am as the last of the other passengers were departing the ship. We then retrieved our passports, showed the passports to the CBP personnel, gave our passports back to the Pride purser staff, got a sticker added to our sea pass card showing that we had had the CBP check and we were cleared to continue. Done in 5-10 minutes.

Stan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BellaBay said:

So ready to book another Windstar cruise, have you noticed any evidence of covid this cruise? Reliving Puerto Rico visit through your interesting photos.

Thank You!

Thanks for your comment.

No, no signs of Covid lurking on the ship.

Several stories of lost and delayed luggage, but that is a different epidemic going around right now.

Today was a low-key visit to St. Thomas. Apart from a few mega-yachts we were the only ship in port. And it was Sunday. So most shops didn’t bother to open, and only a few restaurants. There were a couple of ship’s excursions, good reports of fine snorkeling. Beautiful weather! 
Stan

Edited by GottaKnowWhen
  • Like 1

We have a relatively short acquaintance with Windstar. In August last year we had 7 nights on the Pride around Iceland. In October, 11 nights Montreal to Boston, again on the Pride. And now 7+7nights on the Pride in the Caribbean. 
I don’t have exact numbers for this week, last week there were 188 passengers, there was a forecast of 244 for this week (including 50 of us doing a back-to-back), but then some additional couples from last week decided to extend for another week. Maybe close to 250? Anyway, currently about double the passengers as we had in August, and quite a few more than in October.

The good news is that the ship doesn’t seem crowded. In Iceland and again in Canada we had mostly cold blustery weather. So the Star Bar was rarely open. I don’t recall the Star Grill ever being open. It was mostly too cold to sit outside on the Veranda for breakfast or lunch, Candles couldn’t use the outside tables in the evenings. 
So, more people, but given warm Caribbean weather, we can spread out, we can take advantage of the outdoor spaces, and the net effect is that we aren’t feeling crowded. 
Probably the same crew as on our previous two cruises (we know many of the crew and vice versa, only one or two missing, not that many newbies.) And so maybe sometimes the bar service or food service is a touch slower. But not to the point that it is bothersome.

Stan

• Like 2

Cant wait to feel that warm humid air while eating breakfast out on deck. It is 27 degrees here this morning....and this is Florida.

How is the atmosphere on board? Quiet, festive...very social? Or are fellow passengers just doing their own thing? I realize no two cruises are the same but if the ship is about 250 plus pax, is there a party atmosphere?

Cant wait!

On 1/14/2023 at 10:18 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

It's amazing to me what dangerous activities people on vacation are willing to try in countries NOT known for their engineering expertise!  

Jazzbeau, I totally agree and laughed when I read your post.  Not sure I would do zip lining in the Caribbean...these things rust pretty quickly down there.

4 hours ago, RMS Olympic said:

How is the atmosphere on board? Quiet, festive...very social? Or are fellow passengers just doing their own thing? I realize no two cruises are the same but if the ship is about 250 plus pax, is there a party atmosphere?

On our 16 day cruise in November, we had 260 in the first 9 days and 170 the second week.  Yes it was a bit quieter during the second week but there wasn't much difference.  The Star Bar is really where people congregate and where it is a bit lively even if half full (I would not go as far as calling it a party atmosphere though).  I am sure you will enjoy your cruise no matter what.  We'll be sailing on the Surf in February and really look forward to going back on the sailing yacht for the first time since covid (we were on the last Wind Surf cruise before the covid shutdown in March 2020).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RMS Olympic said:

Cant wait to feel that warm humid air while eating breakfast out on deck. It is 27 degrees here this morning....and this is Florida.

Cant wait!

You should bring the party!

Party for me is good food, good wine, good conversation and friendly people who don’t go on vacation to complain.

And if the glare from my bald head upsets people, I’ll make sure to wear my hat at all times🤪

Now point me in the direction of the bartender that can make a great lemon drop martini😛😛😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, RMS Olympic said:

Now point me in the direction of the bartender that can make a great lemon drop martini😛😛😛

The expresso martini's are to-die-for; they are not sickingly sweet, and after about 2 (or 3), the late night partying in Compass Rose really gets going (well, as going as it's gonna get on a port-intensive small yacht journey).

• Thanks 1

In Philipsburg Ste. Maarten today. The Celebrity Edge and Millennium were both also docked here and so the port was in full "welcome the cruisers and their money" mode. Unfortunately the rain started about 3:00pm, off and on at first, but now steady. Still there was plenty of time to buy stuff and support the local economy.

Stan

SteMaarten-6098.thumb.jpg.00ef5fb8a3b3e37741352e2ad9a2f2bf.jpg

SteMaarten-6090.thumb.jpg.abd7a59cc65563ff591e5be38ca901ee.jpg

• Like 1

One of the joys of sailing on a smaller ship is that they often anchor and tender into small ports that larger ships can’t handle. Downside: sometimes tendering isn’t an option.

Skipping Little Bay, Monserrat today, now sailing towards St. Kitts as a back-up port of call. The wave swells were too high to allow for safe tendering…

The staff and crew have made it all a very smooth transition.

Stan

• Like 1