"Next Cruise" Deposit Question

Why is it that I trust the folks on these boards more than Royal Caribbean customer service?  🙂   While on my last cruise I put a deposit down ($200) on an unspecified future cruise with "Next Cruise".  Last night I booked the actual cruise (yahoo!) and when looking at the invoice it indicates that an additional $250 deposit is due next week.  I spoke to C&A this morning and the person assured me I didn't have to pay the second deposit but I've read too many posts on this forum about trusting the Royal Caribbean CSRs.  I tried to research online but of course nothing addresses this specifically so my question is, do I need to pay the second deposit?  Thank you so much!

8 minutes ago, NeepierRoad said:

I spoke to C&A this morning and the person assured me I didn't have to pay the second deposit but I've read too many posts on this forum about trusting the Royal Caribbean CSRs.  I tried to research online but of course nothing addresses this specifically so my question is, do I need to pay the second deposit?  Thank you so much!

In a word, no. We typically book 4-6 cruises at a time at the Next Cruise desk while on board (and will be booking 6 more when we get on Wonder tomorrow), and every booking invoice we have ever received has that exact statement, but we have never had to pay any additional deposits on any of our Next Cruise bookings. One interesting wrinkle (at least in our experience) is that if you were to upgrade your booked cabin later on to a suite (which normally requires a $500/pp deposit even at the Next Cruise desk), they won't ask you for the additional $300/pp deposit amount.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

In a word, no. We typically book 4-6 cruises at a time at the Next Cruise desk while on board (and will be booking 6 more when we get on Wonder tomorrow), 

Maybe you can clarify something for me.  While sailing Oasis in early December, stopped ty the Next Cruise Desk and wanted to book 4 cabins for a future cruise.  I was told that I was only allowed 3 and needed approval from a supervisor for the 4th.  Is my situation different than yours as you mention being able to book 4-6 sails at a time.  I found the limit being placed as strange.

14 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Maybe you can clarify something for me.  While sailing Oasis in early December, stopped ty the Next Cruise Desk and wanted to book 4 cabins for a future cruise.  I was told that I was only allowed 3 and needed approval from a supervisor for the 4th.  Is my situation different than yours as you mention being able to book 4-6 sails at a time.  I found the limit being placed as strange.

Technically as I understand it an individual can only book three cruises at one time.  I presume this is to prevent aTA on board from tying up the desk by booking dozens of cruises for their clients. (We encountered this on a Disney cruise where a TA sat at their booking desk and booked 18 cruises before we got up and gave up on booking that day.) Since DW always comes down to the desk when we do our bookings, I sign for three and she signs for the other three.

Edited by orville99

7 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Technically as I understand it an individual can only book three cruises.  I presume this is to prevent aTA on board from tying up the desk by booking dozens of cruises for their clients. (We encountered this on a Disney cruise where a TA sat at their booking desk and booked 18 cruises before we got up and gave up on booking that day.) Since DW always comes down to the desk when we do our bookings, I sign for three and she signs for the other three.

Thanks.  It is still strange as it was a family cruise.

36 minutes ago, nelblu said:

You should have been able to book 3 for each member of your party. They would have to sign the paper but that is easily handled. 

54 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Sounds like the difference is we are booking one cabin for six separate cruises and you were trying to book four cabins for one cruise. You might have been able to do that if someone was with you that you could put into the fourth cabin so they could sign for that one..

15 minutes ago, captain bob said:

Can you still book an unspecified future cruise and get the OBC ?  Is it a reduced deposit amount?

thanks

Bob

Yes to both questions. My daughter just did this on the Navigator last week. She has 2 months to decide which cruise she wants to book.

Edited by crzndeb

1 hour ago, crzndeb said:

Yes to both questions. My daughter just did this on the Navigator last week. She has 2 months to decide which cruise she wants to book.

And it's a $200 deposit.   However, if you book an actual sail on board, it's $100 per person, ex suites.

Edited by nelblu

12 minutes ago, nelblu said:

And it's a $200 deposit.   However, if you book an actual sail on board, it's $100 per person, ex suites.

My daughter paid $200 for a later booking…$100pp. Herself and my granddaughter.