NCL Joy Family Suite - Category SP

johnrich

We were thinking of upgrading our upcoming Joy sailing to Bermuda. We currently have a balcony (category B4). We were looking at the 2 bedroom Family Suite (Category SP). We know this is an interior cabin but we were still thinking of trying it. Several questions for people who have stayed in one of these cabins:

1. Is the virtual balcony actually what is viewed live from the outside of the ship. I.e., if we are docked, will we see the dock area on the screen (if port side) or will it always be the same ocean image?

2. Did you receive all the normal Free at Sea amenities?  The rep I was dealing with insisted it was a downgrade because it is going from a balcony to an inside cabin and we’d only get the amenities for an inside cabin. If I do a mock reservation I get the same amenities as I did with a balcony cabin, so as usual not sure I trust the NCL customer service reps. 

I know we can wait to bid on this, but not sure we want to chance missing out on the extra space. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Edited by johnrich

We booked 2 of these unique ones last May on the Joy, the 2nd. full bath comes in handy for other members of our traveling party ... and that 2nd. (smaller) bedroom is very spacious, better than comparable Insides on the Joy. 

You should have the balcony perks - there's an outdated spreadsheet floating around here, but it's no longer accurate entirely about extra "suite" amenities.  There is the expresso/coffee maker, stocked with capsules, sugar & creamer, etc. (but not complimentary bottled water to fill)  You can request bath robes & slippers from your steward - bath amenities are upgraded, as are pillows/sheets, linens & comforters.  

See this semi-live review, good # of pictures about it ... should offer you a very good idea on what to expect ... when we sailed the Joy again last September, it was "on sale" with lowest bid starting at 50% below the normal bidding amount.  

It's actually 2 oversized HDTV screen, stacked together top & bottom, with live images while at sea (resolution was 720p and not so great at night) and while at Dockyard, it was pointed toward Clocktower Mall & the pier, etc. but does not pan ... streaming live, yes.  It did freeze or gone offline 2 or 3 times midweek, a call down to Guest Services & they had their I.T. people onboard reset it shortly thereafter.  

Good luck bidding for it and if you won later on, congrats and perhaps bring some extra decorations yourself - you'll see that the "big" living room isn't fancy, rather plain & some rich colors & personal touch would most definitely make it feel like your "home away from home" for the week.  Grab some plated fresh & whole fruits and goodies from the buffet, candies for kiddies - be your own butler, LOL. What they delivered via Room Service as complimentary, twice for our week onboard, was just ... laughable and a joke.  

At 520 to 560 sq.ft. - it's as spacious as the Haven family suites and bigger than those penthouses in square footage ... and it's priced accordingly & lower, best suited for 4 adults, the LR's convertible sofabed is smallish for 2 grown-up to share, and upper Pullman is ...

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info mking8288

I have this room booked for my Thanksgiving cruise...really no choice as I am traveling with partner, 2 kids, and my mom... Only other option is Haven Family Suite which is out of my price range 😞

Just curious - when do the "bid" options usually happen? Maybe I'll be able to bid on a Haven suite!

1 hour ago, evanskl4 said:

Just curious - when do the "bid" options usually happen? Maybe I'll be able to bid on a Haven suite!

Bidding typically opens up (used to) at 90 days, lately ... some reported it's a little further out and sometimes, you'll need to use the "upgrade" option on the NCL App to check for it.  Haven bids are mad crazy high these days and now with the extra "live bidding" option sometimes tossed in, I'll save that $6,000 and book another cruise instead.  Thanksgiving cruises almost certain to be sold out this Fall, so the odds of a steal on bidding, if offered at all - probably odds aren't favorable.  

We had the option to bid for all the Haven suite last May, ship sailed around 60% capacity (or less ??) only and bid prices were too bad, things began changing with our Sept Joy cruise to Canada/NE - 2 of us just book a balcony.  

The only thing missing is really a good size balcony (and, it is "slightly" bigger than those on the BA and GA or Escape) ... if you got it with a good price with the current promotion (Triple Up ?? that ran briefly) just count the days & enjoy, it is super spacious by NCL standard, cleverly designed and tons of closet space.  Bring some decorations from home & you can really bring it alive.  With the money saved over Haven, you can get flower basket, chocolate & goodies from "catering" and live it up.  Ideal for up to 5 although it can sleep 6 - the 2nd. or smaller bedroom has enough space to fit a rollaway bed, and with that - leave the LR sofabed in place for sitting (although, not sure if the steward or "room attendant" can and will be able to do it ... just a thought for you. 

Glad that the Semi-Live continued to help.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, evanskl4 said:

Thanks for the info mking8288

I have this room booked for my Thanksgiving cruise...really no choice as I am traveling with partner, 2 kids, and my mom... Only other option is Haven Family Suite which is out of my price range 😞

We just “upgraded” to one of these rooms for our May Bermuda cruise (although the first two NCL reps kept saying that it was a downgrade and we’d lose some of our benefits since it was an inside. Finally on my third call I got someone who knew of the Family Suite and said she’s heard lots of good things about it and said it was def an upgrade). We are also on the Joy for the Thanksgiving cruise. If we like the suite in May, we may upgrade for the Thanksgiving trip as well. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, johnrich said:

We just “upgraded” to one of these rooms for our May Bermuda cruise ... got someone who knew of the Family Suite and said she’s heard lots of good things about it and said it was def an upgrade). We are also on the Joy for the Thanksgiving cruise. If we like the suite in May, we may upgrade ... 

@evanskl4 

One thing I forget to "Evan" & you should know this - please check, review & confirm your newest NCL confirmation with the Amenities, seeing that both of you are Latitudes members already - if you upgraded to the SP,  you are getting at least triple points (2 points with the current promo and 1 extra point for the suite, that's per night)  For the November cruise, I'm not 100% certain but since it is more than 6 months out, should be another extra point as in "quad points per night" or 4 points times X number of nights (i.e. 4 x 7 = 28 points, nice one)  

Other friends of ours that we met thru CC several years ago just recently booked something similar, they got the triple points promo & used 2 CruiseNext certs (holiday/new year specials, since expired) that they didn't know were extended for a year - able to use 3 deposits to book an AFT balcony for a very nice price ... they are currently on Royal's AOS somewhere but it was still good & they are excited.  Check & decode those Latitude codes.  

Enjoy that extra space & perhaps we'll hear from you after your return from Bermuda ... Ron was the GM both in May & Sept - has a great team under him, no matter what category you are booked, they try to please - within confines of what they can do.  With the extra money spent and saved over Haven, you can do a lot to pamper that cruise week to enjoy the extra space.  It's about the same size as the Marriott suites that we often stay in and everyone is going to have her/his personal space ... even with one housekeeping service daily ahead.  

Regards & best wishes ahead for happy cruising ... until our next Semi-Live, somewhere ... soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mking8288 said:

@evanskl4 

One thing I forget to "Evan" & you should know this - please check, review & confirm your newest NCL confirmation with the Amenities, seeing that both of you are Latitudes members already - if you upgraded to the SP,  you are getting at least triple points (2 points with the current promo and 1 extra point for the suite, that's per night)  For the November cruise, I'm not 100% certain but since it is more than 6 months out, should be another extra point as in "quad points per night" or 4 points times X number of nights (i.e. 4 x 7 = 28 points, nice one)  

Other friends of ours that we met thru CC several years ago just recently booked something similar, they got the triple points promo & used 2 CruiseNext certs (holiday/new year specials, since expired) that they didn't know were extended for a year - able to use 3 deposits to book an AFT balcony for a very nice price ... they are currently on Royal's AOS somewhere but it was still good & they are excited.  Check & decode those Latitude codes.  

Enjoy that extra space & perhaps we'll hear from you after your return from Bermuda ... Ron was the GM both in May & Sept - has a great team under him, no matter what category you are booked, they try to please - within confines of what they can do.  With the extra money spent and saved over Haven, you can do a lot to pamper that cruise week to enjoy the extra space.  It's about the same size as the Marriott suites that we often stay in and everyone is going to have her/his personal space ... even with one housekeeping service daily ahead.  

Regards & best wishes ahead for happy cruising ... until our next Semi-Live, somewhere ... soon. 

I thought it would be triple and quad, but both confirmations only list LATDBLX so I’m thinking that’s only double. Guess I need to contact someone in Latitudes Rewards Dept. to make sure it is changed. 

NEVERMIND - I just found the codes and that code means 2 bonus points per night. 

Edited by johnrich
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info! Sadly my last NCL cruise was 17 years ago and there is no record of it (my name changed since then, etc), so they consider me a first-timer. 

johnrich I do hope you will report back on the family suite after your Bermuda cruise. Nice to know we will be sailing together in the fall!

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
On 1/11/2023 at 10:18 PM, johnrich said:

We just “upgraded” to one of these rooms for our May Bermuda cruise (although the first two NCL reps kept saying that it was a downgrade and we’d lose some of our benefits since it was an inside. Finally on my third call I got someone who knew of the Family Suite and said she’s heard lots of good things about it and said it was def an upgrade). We are also on the Joy for the Thanksgiving cruise. If we like the suite in May, we may upgrade for the Thanksgiving trip as well. 

Did you get priority boarding with it like other suites?