When can you get off the ship?

kilili

Hi all,

We are booked on a 12 night Princess British Isles cruise for June.  Typically we do ports on our own, or book small group or private independent excursions.  Our last cruise (not on Princess) was very inaccurate as to when you could disembark at ports.  Sometimes it arrived on time, sometimes it didn't.  Sometimes an announcement would be made when you could get off, sometimes no announcement.  So my planning was off a bit because I could not figure out what to expect for the next day.  Which brings me to my question.  When Princess posts port times, are those the times that one can be off ship?  Are those the times ship is in port, but actual time one has is shorter?  If this is the case, how soon after docking are people allowed to disembark?  How much time before leaving shall people being on board?  How long before people without status or excursions (Princess) can disembark, both in walk out ports and tender ports?

Thank you in advance for your help.

43 minutes ago, kilili said:

We are booked on a 12 night Princess British Isles cruise for June.  Typically we do ports on our own, or book small group or private independent excursions.  Our last cruise (not on Princess) was very inaccurate as to when you could disembark at ports.  Sometimes it arrived on time, sometimes it didn't.  Sometimes an announcement would be made when you could get off, sometimes no announcement.  So my planning was off a bit because I could not figure out what to expect for the next day.  Which brings me to my question.  When Princess posts port times, are those the times that one can be off ship?  Are those the times ship is in port, but actual time one has is shorter?  If this is the case, how soon after docking are people allowed to disembark?  How much time before leaving shall people being on board?  How long before people without status or excursions (Princess) can disembark, both in walk out ports and tender ports?

I've found that, on all the cruise lines I've used (including Princess), they've been accurate about when they get to port, when they're cleared for passengers to disembark, and if there's a delay or cancellation, they've always relayed that information in a timely fashion.  

Moving specifically to Princess, I've found the port times announced is usually when they arrive; it can take 15-30 minutes to get the clearance to get off.  Onboard times have been universally half an hour before departure time for docked ports.  Because of these items, you'll be in port for less time than you think.

A couple of things... some ship excursions in some ports meet prior to docking or tendering and get off the ship before the official "all clear".  And for tenders (not ports with docks), higher status passengers can choose a tender that leaves earlier.

I hope this information was of help to you.

• Like 1

Our experience with tender ports with no status or ship excursions maybe 1.5 to 2 hours later than posted times as we were grouped as one of the last. Ports we docked at were not as bad but still at the back of the line.

• Like 1

Basically figure 30 minutes after the ship docks. There are some ports that may require immigration clearance but that should not delay very much.

Water shuttles take time, could be an hour or more, if you plan to go ashore on your own. Typical process is that you show up at the shuttle ticket area, normally a DR, and get your ticket. There can be a large crowd. Your entire group must show up together if you wish to go ashore on the same shuttle. Example: Wife can not get a shuttle tick for herself and her husband. Both must be there. If you are elite loyalty status or in a full suite then you receive priority shuttle service, basically the next one leaving after you show up at the ticket area.

Those on ship's tours receive priority shuttle service. You go to the designated location on the tour ticket and not the general shuttle ticket area.

Really depends on where you are.  Japan and Israel are both places that can take quite a bit longer to be cleared by customs.  Most tie up at the dock ports are usually less then 1/2 hour after arrival.  Tender ports vary greatly, I try to plan around a 2 hour cushion to get to shore.