PHX - Arriving Terminal 3/Departing Terminal 4

klfrodo

Hopefully PHX isn't that messed up.

Current research indicates that if I want to change terminals at PHX, I have to go out of security, jump on the Sky Train, take this to Terminal 4 and have to go thru security again?

Tell me my research is bad or I haven't found the latest information.

3 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

That is correct.  There are physically separated by a significant distance, along with a pair of taxiways.

Not quite sure why you would be making a connection between the two terminals, unless it's Alaska to American.

AS to BA

That would be the other OneWorld connect.  Forgot about that.  In any case, yes, you do have to go landside and then reclear security.

One tip.  BA usually flies from the high-numbered B gates.  If that is the case, you can easily use the A, B or C security checkpoints - whichever has the shortest lines.  After that, you have easy moving walkway paths to the gate.  And there is CLEAR at all checkpoints, if you have that.

https://maps.skyharbor.aero

• Like 1

Honestly, it's not that unusual in my limited experience when traveling internationally.  That's always what seems to happen when returning into ORD. I'm guessing it's the whole customs thing. Does it ever happen domestically?

10 minutes ago, jsglow said:

Honestly, it's not that unusual in my limited experience when traveling internationally.  That's always what seems to happen when returning into ORD. I'm guessing it's the whole customs thing. Does it ever happen domestically?

You will always get a security screening after you pass through a customs procedure.  Reason - you have access to your checked luggage, and can get a prohibited item from it.

At ORD, the separate building situation is because they built T5 apart from the other terminals - since there was no room in the central area for another terminal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FlyerTalker said:

You will always get a security screening after you pass through a customs procedure.  Reason - you have access to your checked luggage, and can get a prohibited item from it.

At ORD, the separate building situation is because they built T5 apart from the other terminals - since there was no room in the central area for another terminal.

So Flyer, not to hijack this thread but I found the Toronto connection to be interesting.  We exited our international flight from Rome, went through 'Canadian TSA' (w/o our checked bags), then electronically (but not physically) identified/claimed? our checked luggage but never touched it (getting a green light), then proceeded through US Customs (via our beloved Known Traveler account) where we entered 'Merica, after which we were 100% domestic.  Care to add any commentary or color? I know about the 'remote USA Customs' at major Canadian airports.

On 1/9/2023 at 5:46 PM, FlyerTalker said:

That would be the other OneWorld connect.  Forgot about that.  In any case, yes, you do have to go landside and then reclear security.

One tip.  BA usually flies from the high-numbered B gates.  If that is the case, you can easily use the A, B or C security checkpoints - whichever has the shortest lines.  After that, you have easy moving walkway paths to the gate.  And there is CLEAR at all checkpoints, if you have that.

https://maps.skyharbor.aero

Unfortunately, yes on having to take Sky Train between terminals at PHX, but it's a quick trip between T3 and T4. As @FlyerTalkermentioned, all concourses have Clear & Pre-Check.

Even though concourses connect at Terminal 4, C & D are the Southwest Airlines gates. Unless the security lines are insanely long for A or B, I personally would avoid C & D at all costs. (Southwest passengers - need I say more?) 

Here's a complete map of Terminal 4 - safe travels.

https://www.skyharbor.com/docs/default-source/pdfs/airportmaps/terminal4level3.pdf?sfvrsn=a33b9388_111