Can I take a mobility scooter on a shore excursion to the Tulum or Chichen Itza ruins in Cozumel

fdbryant3

My wife and I are taking a Celebrity cruise to Cozumel in March.   I use a mobility scooter because I can't stand long or walk far but can otherwise move about.  After doing some research it looks like we should be okay at either the Tulum or Chichen Itza ruins.  My question if I'll be able to get it there.  Are the travel vehicles able to take it (for what it is worth it is a travel scooter that does break down into individual parts).

Anyway, any thoughts or information would be appreciated.  Also which site would you go visit?

I think you should visit the ports of call boards here, for Mexico and see if you can find out what types of vehicles they use for those tours.  Also Google for tours there to see what comes up, maybe with pictures.  And Google accessible tours to xxxx.  EM

The problem with both of those tours is getting off the island of Cozumel. You have to take a ferry to reach the mainland. From there, after a walk to the pick-up point, we used a large bus that stored the scooter (travelscoot) in the hold. Upon reaching Tulum it is a long walk/roll to the site from where you are dropped off. I enjoyed the tour but it was a stretch for my abilities at the time. I would not attempt it now as my condition has progressed and I use an electric wheelchair (fold and go). 

14 hours ago, fdbryant3 said:

My wife and I are taking a Celebrity cruise to Cozumel in March.   I use a mobility scooter because I can't stand long or walk far but can otherwise move about.  After doing some research it looks like we should be okay at either the Tulum or Chichen Itza ruins.  My question if I'll be able to get it there.  Are the travel vehicles able to take it (for what it is worth it is a travel scooter that does break down into individual parts).

Anyway, any thoughts or information would be appreciated.  Also which site would you go visit?

Are you considering a Celebrity shore excursion or a private one?    The Celebrity shore excursion department might be able to answer the question about the type of vehicle that will be used (personally, we have not had much luck with the shore excursion people actually on the ship regarding questions about accessibility).    Both the places you are considering are quite a ways from Cozumel so be prepared for a long day.  

Here are a couple of links regarding accessibility of Tulum and Chichen Itza that might help you decide which one to go to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGaJz580Uu8&t=11s

https://www.apieceoftravel.com/wheelchair-accessibility-at-chichen-itza/

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/10/2023 at 2:38 AM, fdbryant3 said:

First thing, does the excursion yes or no to wheelchairs?  Usually if it is no, it won't be listed.  Next if it is no, than google the excursion, find out what tour company, and send the tour company an email direct and ask questions from them (and not the cruise line).  I have been on so many tours watching people get upset because they "were told" by some random people that they could go and they couldn't.  Don't be that person.  This is not the place to ask for your needs.

I have traveled with my wife for decades, and she has a travel scooter.  I will either contact the company, and ask, or if not, see if there is an alternative way.  Either way, I always find a way to get things done.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2023 at 2:38 AM, fdbryant3 said:

Do remember that some of the tour crosses non pave areas which can have roots and stone in them.   I’m not sure which one I did with a rollator but  I found the buses plenty large enough.  However, the ferries were very rough that day such that they were only letting one person on the gangway at a time as it moved back and forth and side to side.  

i now have moved from a scooter to a wheelchair.  I don’t believe my scooter could have done some of the terrain, the wheelchair might have! I just had my chair in South Africa and the grass was almost like mounds and dips.  I made it, but it wasn’t pretty!