P&O Britannia

alangoff

I have been cruising with P&O for 25 years and thoroughly enjoyed the experience - until now! Now its a case of 'Oh dear P&O' what have you done! Cut backs everywhere with reduced staff levels, staff clearly not happy bunnies behind the big smiles and in many cases poorly trained. The buffet experience was disappointing to say the least and the entertainment overall was way below standard. The ships used to be rocking every night with quality entertainment, music and dancing everywhere. You couldn't wait to tell all your friends when you got home what a great experience P&O was. Sorry P&O but it now seems you've either lost the plot completely or have taken a conscious decision to go down market and become just a budget cruise line. This was a topic of much conversation among a great many of the passengers with a general consensus of goodbye P&O this is the last time, we expected better and there are better choices out there. Butlins on sea! and is P&O now owned by Ryanair! being common banter plus unease with the behaviour of a lot of anti social passenger groups. And one last gripe was the ridiculous ear bashing music volumes used on deck. We love our music and dancing but this just drove us away every time. The sail away parties used to be great fun and loved by all. And no P&O the economic climate is not an excuse for this lowering of standards. We cruised with Princess a few months prior to this cruise and it was superb in every respect - just like P&O used to be so come on P&O sort it out.

Edited by alangoff
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, alangoff said:

I have been cruising with P&O for 25 years and thoroughly enjoyed the experience - until now! Now its a case of 'Oh dear P&O' what have you done! Cut backs everywhere with reduced staff levels, staff clearly not happy bunnies behind the big smiles and in many cases poorly trained. The buffet experience was disappointing to say the least and the entertainment overall was way below standard. The ships used to be rocking every night with quality entertainment, music and dancing everywhere. You couldn't wait to tell all your friends when you got home what a great experience P&O was. Sorry P&O but it now seems you've either lost the plot completely or have taken a conscious decision to go down market and become just a budget cruise line. This was a topic of much conversation among a great many of the passengers with a general consensus of goodbye P&O this is the last time, we expected better and there are better choices out there. Butlins on sea! and is P&O now owned by Ryanair! being common banter plus unease with the behaviour a lot of anti social passenger groups. And one last gripe was the ridiculous ear bashing music volumes used on deck. We love our music and dancing but this just drove us away every time. The sail away parties used to be great fun and loved by all. And no P&O the economic climate is not an excuse for this lowering of standards. We cruised with Princess a few months prior to this cruise and it was superb in every respect - just like P&O used to be so come on P&O sort it out.

When did you cruise, please?  A date is helpful.

Just now, alangoff said:

December 17th 2022 departure to the Caribbean

Okay, thanks. Same one as myself. We were on 16th.  I personally wrote to P&O about the anti social behaviour and lack of response by security - I have two threads on here about this cruise, one on security one my live blog.

I agree with a large amount of your comments and that is why I have contacted P&O for their comments.  If you were as upset as you appear could I suggest you also drop them a line telling them your thoughts?  I personally am not seeking anything other than a response to say what is being done to improve things.

Do claim your air delay money though if you were affected.

No our flight was only 2.5 hours late but it has to be 3 hours to claim for long haul according to TUI

Interestingly judging by your comments about security being called concerning anti social behaviour I think we were on your table one evening when this was discussed so hello! and yes I will write although I don't anticipate getting a reply

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, alangoff said:

No our flight was only 2.5 hours late but it has to be 3 hours to claim for long haul according to TUI

Interestingly judging by your comments about security being called concerning anti social behaviour I think we were on your table one evening when this was discussed so hello! and yes I will write although I don't anticipate getting a reply

Hello to you too!  I assume you're referring to the same large group as me, but there were unfortunately quite a lot more.  I couldn't understand how they were allowed to continue all the way through. Started with the world cup final with the shirt throwing off incidents and running up and down in the theatre after they hurled their beers in the air and continued until I saw them very much the worse for wear nearly missing their call for the plane whilst shouting they needed a p... at the top of their voices. Total nuisances to the staff.  Sadly met a couple who were forced to have Christmas dinner with some of them.

Do write, I believe it is essential P&O know their real passengers are upset by this. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, alangoff said:

I have been cruising with P&O for 25 years and thoroughly enjoyed the experience - until now! Now its a case of 'Oh dear P&O' what have you done! Cut backs everywhere with reduced staff levels, staff clearly not happy bunnies behind the big smiles and in many cases poorly trained. The buffet experience was disappointing to say the least and the entertainment overall was way below standard. The ships used to be rocking every night with quality entertainment, music and dancing everywhere. You couldn't wait to tell all your friends when you got home what a great experience P&O was. Sorry P&O but it now seems you've either lost the plot completely or have taken a conscious decision to go down market and become just a budget cruise line. This was a topic of much conversation among a great many of the passengers with a general consensus of goodbye P&O this is the last time, we expected better and there are better choices out there. Butlins on sea! and is P&O now owned by Ryanair! being common banter plus unease with the behaviour of a lot of anti social passenger groups. And one last gripe was the ridiculous ear bashing music volumes used on deck. We love our music and dancing but this just drove us away every time. The sail away parties used to be great fun and loved by all. And no P&O the economic climate is not an excuse for this lowering of standards. We cruised with Princess a few months prior to this cruise and it was superb in every respect - just like P&O used to be so come on P&O sort it out.

As I have never been to Butlins how do they compare, we was on the TA in October last year and had a totally different experience to you.

5 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

As I have never been to Butlins how do they compare, we was on the TA in October last year and had a totally different experience to you.

Butlins sounds like the place to go. Folk who frequent it often compare it favourable to cruising. Don't know which one to try, Minehead, or Bognor. Perhaps alangoff can advise.

10 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Butlins sounds like the place to go. Folk who frequent it often compare it favourable to cruising. Don't know which one to try, Minehead, or Bognor. Perhaps alangoff can advise.

Might just give it a go on my retirement, just thinking of all the money I would save rather than doing a back to back in the Caribbean.

Having experienced this cruise, I'd rather this discussion didn't go down the age old clowns, cheesewheel and Butlins route.  I'm glad Bazrat didn't have to deal with it all and didn't have his holiday spoilt. Unfortunately I agree with Alangoff about very many aspects of his experience and it's his review, his experience and his perception that counts, he doesn't deserve to be ridiculed because a different cruise had a different demographic.

I've never stayed at Butlins but know many who have and also many who go to their soul weekender etc.  I would saying looking at the entertainment offering on Britannia at Christmas Butlins offer a far superior product in that area.

Comparing something to Butlins doesn't actually have to refer to the people going there and isn't necessarily derogatory. It can be a fair comparison about what your money actually bought, ie value for money or quality. You'll note alangoff mentioned it rather tongue in cheek as banter on board, there was no malice in his writing. 

It's very unfair every time someone reports their own experience to belittle them, particularly as insinuations are being made about their cruise not having disappointed.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 14

8 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Having experienced this cruise, I'd rather this discussion didn't go down the age old clowns, cheesewheel and Butlins route.  I'm glad Bazrat didn't have to deal with it all and didn't have his holiday spoilt. Unfortunately I agree with Alangoff about very many aspects of his experience and it's his review, his experience and his perception that counts, he doesn't deserve to be ridiculed because a different cruise had a different demographic.

I've never stayed at Butlins but know many who have and also many who go to their soul weekender etc.  I would saying looking at the entertainment offering on Britannia at Christmas Butlins offer a far superior product in that area.

Comparing something to Butlins doesn't actually have to refer to the people going there and isn't necessarily derogatory. It can be a fair comparison about what your money actually bought, ie value for money or quality. You'll note alangoff mentioned it rather tongue in cheek as banter on board, there was no malice in his writing. 

It's very unfair every time someone reports their own experience to belittle them, particularly as insinuations are being made about their cruise not having disappointed.

As you are nolonger cruising With P&O it will be Butlins all the way for you ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bazrat said:

I've no idea where you thought I'm not cruising with P&O but you are wrong!

I am booked on Iona on 18th March (a booking made on Britannia at Christmas), am considering Arvia for February if the reviews of the current cruise improve and am seriously looking to book a 65 night Caribbean cruise with them as discussed on another thread. I'm also looking at the three week Iceland cruise next year, so a very long way from not sailing P&O again.  

Basically if I have a bad or disappointing experience I will call it as I see it and not throw my toys around, it doesn't however mean every holiday I have sea or land based is as I'd wished.  I do respect others opinions, there are others who are happy with things I'm not, why should I disrespect them?

My husband will not be cruising on Arvia as planned - it was a booking for Christmas this year.  He was very upset by the anti social behaviour we witnessed and does not wish to understandably repeat the experience. His choice, his right.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you, you are obviously an intelligent and worldly articulate adult. Enjoy your cruising 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Perhaps some folk who compare P&O to Butlins haven't been there. It is intended to be derogatory IMHO. Hardly objective. Is it ?

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

Just booked another cruise on Britannia.  That's Britannia 8 : Butlins 0. Sounds  like that should be remedied. 

• Like 2

I’ve been to Butlins, and cruised with P&O.

Butlins was incredible - great food, great entertainment, great pool, great dodgem rides and great donkey rides.  I was 13 at the time.

Our daughter goes every year. She hates it, and her husband doesn’t go. The children absolutely love it though, hence the yearly visit.

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I’ve been to Butlins, and cruised with P&O.

Butlins was incredible - great food, great entertainment, great pool, great dodgem rides and great donkey rides.  I was 13 at the time.

Our daughter goes every year. She hates it, and her husband doesn’t go. The children absolutely love it though, hence the yearly visit.

Dodgems are on Royal Caribbean. It would be nice to have donkey rides. Just like Weymouth.🤣

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Perhaps some folk who compare P&O to Butlins haven't been there. It is intended to be derogatory IMHO. Hardly objective. Is it 

Derogatory ... I notice that the OP referred to Ryanair in his post. Not many rushing to say that's derogatory or for that case the very often poked at "spoons" I've read on other parts of the board.  I'm not sure why Butlins causes such a rush to accuse people of being rude. 

Butlins strikes me as a fine organisation which offers a great many people pleasure, however the comedians and the media have to find something to mock and use for cheap laughs and figures of fun and Butlins became a target long ago.  As I say Ryanair and Easyjet suffer in the same way, they're ridiculed.  If you read the papers you'd think everyone who has a drink or a meal in Wetherspoons is some Neandratyal.  These insults slip into modern every day use.

My last comment on this.  I've re read the OP post. He says

"This was a topic of much conversation among a great many of the passengers with a general consensus of goodbye P&O this is the last time, we expected better and there are better choices out there. Butlins on sea! and is P&O now owned by Ryanair! being common banter".

Nowhere does he say that's his opinion or what he thinks, he is commenting on banter amongst passengers and as such doesn't deserve to be ridiculed.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time on Britannia. She remains very much my favourite P&O ship so why wouldn't you. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Derogatory ... I notice that the OP referred to Ryanair in his post. Not many rushing to say that's derogatory or for that case the very often poked at "spoons" I've read on other parts of the board.  I'm not sure why Butlins causes such a rush to accuse people of being rude. 

Butlins strikes me as a fine organisation which offers a great many people pleasure, however the comedians and the media have to find something to mock and use for cheap laughs and figures of fun and Butlins became a target long ago.  As I say Ryanair and Easyjet suffer in the same way, they're ridiculed.  If you read the papers you'd think everyone who has a drink or a meal in Wetherspoons is some Neandratyal.  These insults slip into modern every day use.

My last comment on this.  I've re read the OP post. He says

"This was a topic of much conversation among a great many of the passengers with a general consensus of goodbye P&O this is the last time, we expected better and there are better choices out there. Butlins on sea! and is P&O now owned by Ryanair! being common banter".

Nowhere does he say that's his opinion or what he thinks, he is commenting on banter amongst passengers and as such doesn't deserve to be ridiculed.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time on Britannia. She remains very much my favourite P&O ship so why wouldn't you. 

We have never flown Ryanair, so can't comment. A ' great many ' fly easy jet.

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

We have never flown Ryanair, so can't comment. A ' great many ' fly easy jet.

And??? Sorry I must be missing the point.  I can't see anything wrong with all four organisations but they all constantly get used as things to laugh at.  I doubt their millions of customers even think about if an individual somewhere is taking the micky out of them when they use their services so I can't understand the need to get defensive. 

• Like 3

I own a villa in Spain and fly Ryanair 6-8 flights a year.  In 21 years of flying with them we have only had 1 bad flight.  It is what it is, a cheap way of getting from A to B.  

I view Ryanair as a bus service getting me to Spain as cheaply as possible.  I dont expect or want a meal or free drinks, I just want to get to my destination as quick and as cheap as possible and in that Ryanair excells!

Its nothing more that snobbery to demean Ryanair/Easyjet and Butlins etc.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Harryjacobs said:

I own a villa in Spain and fly Ryanair 6-8 flights a year.  In 21 years of flying with them we have only had 1 bad flight.  It is what it is, a cheap way of getting from A to B.  

I view Ryanair as a bus service getting me to Spain as cheaply as possible.  I dont expect or want a meal or free drinks, I just want to get to my destination as quick and as cheap as possible and in that Ryanair excells!

Its nothing more that snobbery to demean Ryanair/Easyjet and Butlins etc.

That's what I thought but others disagree,  so won't bother.