Drink Package Question

cdngb

We have a cruise booked for next month and are trying to decide if the free offer is of value to us as we are not big drinkers.  Specifically does anyone know how much beer costs aboard ship and do they still sell buckets of beer?

4 hours ago, cdngb said:

We have a cruise booked for next month and are trying to decide if the free offer is of value to us as we are not big drinkers.  Specifically does anyone know how much beer costs aboard ship and do they still sell buckets of beer?

Have not seen buckets for at least seven years.

Beer is around $7 + tax. I haven't seen buckets of beer in the last few'ish years. A glass of wine is in minimum $9 + tax, soft drinks $3 + tax, many cocktails $11-$14 + tax.

Remember the drinks package gives you also soda so it might (or might not) be important for you to factor in. I drink coke/pepsi around 4-5 glasses/cans per day so just soft drinks could be around $12-15 + tax /day without the package. I also drink club soda during dinner and that is included in the package also so around $6 + tax /day for that daily too. Add to that just one glass of wine or a cocktail (or similar) daily and it already makes sense to take the package. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl

1 minute ago, hallux said:

The drink package also now includes 6 liters of water cartons delivered to your room on embarkation day.

Only if you booked your cruise between 09/15/22 and 12/15/22.  I have an email from Katty Bird's office yesterday.  I was confused and tried to research.  Finally, I asked the vp of guest services.  I know the announcement was very confusing.

• Like 1

So my wife and I take advantage of the drink package while we are on vacation. Now we do enjoy our drinks, so Bloody Mary's in the morning time, then enjoy maybe a fruity beverage or two but then switch over to beer. Honestly even if we didnt consume that much, it is more the piece of mind knowing i am not going to go out one night and go crazy and have a couple hundred dollar bill for a day. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, susique said:

Only if you booked your cruise between 09/15/22 and 12/15/22.  I have an email from Katty Bird's office yesterday.  I was confused and tried to research.  Finally, I asked the vp of guest services.  I know the announcement was very confusing.

We must always have the same issues/questions!    I also e-mailed Kathy's office yesterday for clarification and agree, the announcement was very confusing and the end result is disappointing.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cdngb said:

Bar Menus - Different venues have different beers. Buckets are not included in the beverage package

image.thumb.png.7fa51c91cf8397b00e51db2c63a84fa0.png

Just a note of thanks to everyone who responded.  It looks like we would each have to drink five drinks a day to equate the gratuity charge that is added to the free drink package.  The water and soda does make the decision a little more difficult.  Obviously the drinks would be less expensive onshore and there is the option of bringing the allowed wine on embarkation.  Bottom line is we are going to accept their offer.  Too bad about the buckets of beer which I enjoyed on our last cruise on the Jewel and on the other cruises.   Thank you again and enjoy your next adventure.

2 hours ago, cdngb said:

Just a note of thanks to everyone who responded.  It looks like we would each have to drink five drinks a day to equate the gratuity charge that is added to the free drink package.  The water and soda does make the decision a little more difficult.  Obviously the drinks would be less expensive onshore and there is the option of bringing the allowed wine on embarkation.  Bottom line is we are going to accept their offer.  Too bad about the buckets of beer which I enjoyed on our last cruise on the Jewel and on the other cruises.   Thank you again and enjoy your next adventure.

Why 5 drinks a day?  The cost is $21.80 per person per day.  5 drinks means each drink costs $4.36 after tip is added. The cheapest beer is $7.20 after tip.  That means if you drink Bud Light, you are pass break even once you drink 3.