Can we bring on board bottled wataer, soda and prepackaged potato chips?

LindaO

Please forgive me, but I've searched and am now asking the experts.   I've never sailed on Holland America.   My friend is driving to the port and asked me to find out if they can bring on board bottled water, soda and pre-packaged potato chips (the small bags).    I did find they cannot bring wine or a catapult.  I have searched and can't find the information on the Holland site.    The search feature her is frustrating.   Please, if you know let me know.   They are on a Caribbean Cruise, tomorrow leaving from Fort Lauderdale.   Thanks for any help!!! 

The potato chips are fine, but not the soda. Water cannot be in bottles, only cans or cartons.. Wine is allowed, but you pay corkage.

This is in the boarding pass (page 11 of 12 for mine)

Alcohol Policy
Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages
on board for consumption with the exception of limited wine and
champagne (corkage fees are applicable) and limitd amounts of water.
Plastic water bottles are not allowed. Please refer to our complete
Alcohol Policy online at hollandamerica.com or in the online Know
Before You Go section.

Here's what's in the Know Before You Go on the HAL Website

Revised Policy effective June 1st, 2021

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other use except as follows:

Guests may bring Wine and Champagne onboard, however a corkage fee of USD $20.00 (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to each bottle (max 750 ml in volume or less). Limitations apply. Wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.

Wine purchased during company-sponsored shore excursions that visit local wineries are exempt from the on-board corkage fee (offer limited to one bottle of wine per person).

Items such as sodas, energy drinks or other non-alcoholic items are not allowed on board in any form. Plastic water bottles are not allowed. However, an allowance of six liters, twelve (12) cans or cartons (500 ml in volume or less) or six (6) cans or cartons (1 liter in volume or less) of water are allowed per stateroom.  Any amount in excess of this allowance will be not be allowed onboard. Water in plastic bottles will not be allowed onboard in any quantity, including in ports of call. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding. 

46 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

The potato chips are fine, but not the soda. Water cannot be in bottles, only cans or cartons.. Wine is allowed, but you pay corkage.

Alcohol Policy
Before You Go section.

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other use except as follows:

Guests may bring Wine and Champagne onboard, however a corkage fee of USD $20.00 (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to each bottle (max 750 ml in volume or less). Limitations apply. Wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.

Wine purchased during company-sponsored shore excursions that visit local wineries are exempt from the on-board corkage fee (offer limited to one bottle of wine per person).

Items such as sodas, energy drinks or other non-alcoholic items are not allowed on board in any form. Plastic water bottles are not allowed. However, an allowance of six liters, twelve (12) cans or cartons (500 ml in volume or less) or six (6) cans or cartons (1 liter in volume or less) of water are allowed per stateroom.  Any amount in excess of this allowance will be not be allowed onboard. Water in plastic bottles will not be allowed onboard in any quantity, including in ports of call. Guests will be asked to discard open beverages in plastic containers prior to boarding. 

Thank you for the quick reply.   I appreciate your response and will pass it along.   I think her main concern is the potato chips.... she is addicted to the chips!!

46 minutes ago, 0106 said:

You can bring snacks on board.  I bring a few protein bars for excursions otherwise I get mine from the Lido.

Here is the link to HAL’s FAQs:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq.shipboard-life.can-i-bring-alcoholic-beverages-onboard.html

Thank you for the quick reply.   I appreciate your response and will pass it along.   I think her main concern is the potato chips.... she is addicted to the chips!!

12 minutes ago, LindaO said:

HAL has chips in the buffet at lunch time. You need to ask for them most of the time. I, too, love my chips!

1 hour ago, Cruise Suzy said:

Alcohol Policy
Before You Go section.

I normally carry an empty plastic water bottle  -something like this Sistema Drink Bottle 800ml Quick Flip (storagebox.co.nz) do I need to go buy a stainless steel one to get it on board. Not issue with drinking tap water but I like a bottle particularly for shore excursions. 

3 hours ago, dchip said:

HAL has chips in the buffet at lunch time. You need to ask for them most of the time. I, too, love my chips!

Chip Tip:  Stop by the Lido Market Salad Bar and ask for an empty green salad bowl.  Take the empty bowl to the Sandwich Station for a big bowl of chips (potato or nacho). 

Chips should also be available at the Lido Market Late Snack (10:30 PM) each evening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DW is addicted to potato chips and loves having them as a bar snack.  While on our most recent Princess cruise she was a little distressed to discover that they no longer served chips (or anything else) as a bar snack.  But a favorite bar tender told us, "no problem" and said to simply order chips from room service (easily done on the Princess app).  In less than 10 minutes a steward would appear at the bar/lounge with a large plate of chips :).  Not very efficient, but quite effective.

This has me wondering if it would be an option on HAL?  Of course, Princess does not charge for room service (even delivered to lounges).  The new trend, such as on Celebrity, to charge real money ($11.95) for every room service delivery would certainly put a damper on the idea.

Hank

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BSinPNS said:

Apparently HAL is having supply chain issues as they are selling single use plastic bottles of water on the Oosterdam doing the South America/Antarctica cruises.  

That happened on our South Pacific cruise in the fall also. 

Edited by dchip