Are DVD players available onboard?

PKB

1 minute ago, NorthStarStateCruiser said:

What's a DVD?

27 minutes ago, PKB said:

Are there DVD players available onboard and is there a library of DVD's passengers can check out?  I remember doing that a few years ago.  

No and no. No one watches DVDs be anymore. It's all streaming. 

• Haha 1

The reason for the question is that I have certain DVD's that we would like to watch and connect to the TV in the cabin.  We have connected a laptop with a CD drive to the TV in a hotel room successfully.  However, the laptop we are bringing does not have a CD drive.  Problem solved.  Ordered an external CD drive to connect to laptop.  Needed one anyway.  Thanks for the comments.  Could have done without the snark.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If you really like one I would suggest bringing a small travel DVD player with you and hook up to the TV.   Instead of that I usually rip the DVD to a media file and use a Plex serve on my laptop to stream to the TV. 

I should have said I've sailed with Celebrity for 23 years and back 15-20 years ago they also had VCR players and then VCR/DVD combos in the CS.    They had them in the cabinet underneath the TV in the Bedroom.

9 hours ago, PKB said:

The reason for the question is that I have certain DVD's that we would like to watch and connect to the TV in the cabin.  We have connected a laptop with a CD drive to the TV in a hotel room successfully.  However, the laptop we are bringing does not have a CD drive.  Problem solved.  Ordered an external CD drive to connect to laptop.  Needed one anyway.  Thanks for the comments.  Could have done without the snark.

I often stream, however, there are free programs for transferring DVDs to a thumb drive (ripping).  I have 100+ movies on a micro SD card which can be popped into a USB micro SD card reader (looks like a mini thumb drive) for my laptop or put directly into my android tablet.  I recently upgraded to a large-screen tablet and a super-slim folding bluetooth keyboard which are lighter than my laptop so I haven't taken that on last few cruises.  I watch the tablet directly or connect/mirror to the TV.  Nice to have as an option when wifi is out or too slow to stream.

On 1/13/2023 at 3:33 PM, PKB said:

Are there DVD players available onboard and is there a library of DVD's passengers can check out?  I remember doing that a few years ago.  

DVD? Now that's a name I haven't heard in a while. Of course, the last DVD I purchased was the entire CHiPs series as most of my library is BluRay and 4K for the higher resolution. 

Anyways, what streaming services are you subscribed to? You are better off downloading the media to your smartphone or tablet for offline viewing.