Move Up bid enhanced by tier standing?

dleahy4444

I suppose no one really knows what goes into a successful bid. Bidding high is no guarantee, since instances have been reported where a low bid beat out a higher bid. Does anyone know if your tier standing factors into it?  For instance, would someone in the Elite tier get some type of a percentage added to their bid? 

Yes - Per https://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/program-changes

Looking to take your vacation to the next level? You’re in luck. MoveUp allows you to bid on a stateroom upgrade after you’ve purchased your cruise. As a valued Captain’s Club member your bid gets a bonus boost based on your tier. So, you get more value than what you bid. Classic members get an extra 1% multiplier, Select members get a 2% multiplier, Elite members get a 3% multiplier, Elite Plus members get a 4% multiplier, and Zenith members get a 5% multiplier. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Looking to take your vacation to the next level? You’re in luck. MoveUp allows you to bid on a stateroom upgrade after you’ve purchased your cruise. As a valued Captain’s Club member your bid gets a bonus boost based on your tier. So, you get more value than what you bid. Classic members get an extra 1% multiplier, Select members get a 2% multiplier, Elite members get a 3% multiplier, Elite Plus members get a 4% multiplier, and Zenith members get a 5% multiplier. 

Great thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Not sure what they mean by a “multiplier”. Let’s say you bid $500 and are Elite, do they add 3% of 500 ($15) to your bid for a total of $515? 

36 minutes ago, miched said:

If you get the multiplier are you charged with the extra amount?

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

No   They multiplier is just what is considered by Celebrity from you Max bid.

Having said that there are many other factors that go into who is awarded a move up.  They use an logarithm to determine the accepted bid and the multiplier only comes into play when factoring in the amount of bid.    Example is if a RS is bidding on a PH and a CS is bidding on the PH the RS may get the win on an identical bid because what they had paid and the ability to upgrade their room.  

If however you were in a CS as a E+ and I was in a CS as a Zenith and we both bid the same amount, I would probably get it because my effective bid was 1% higher than yours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

Not sure what they mean by a “multiplier”. Let’s say you bid $500 and are Elite, do they add 3% of 500 ($15) to your bid for a total of $515? 

Kinda -- Your effective bid would be $515 but you would only be charged $500 if you were to win.

14 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Make life simple - just book the cabin you truly want instead of playing the upgrade game and later being disappointed because you didn’t go from inside to owner’s suite.

I can understand you logic but I have to admit I have enjoyed the benefit of the Upgrade Bidding System -   

Example - recently the last price of a RS was more than $4,000 than my current stateroom.   I was more than satisfied with my current cabin but bid a total of $800 for the RS and won.     While I was happy to pay the additional $800 I would not have paid the extra $4,000.   If I had not won I would have been happy to keep my existing room.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Make life simple - just book the cabin you truly want instead of playing the upgrade game and later being disappointed because you didn’t go from inside to owner’s suite.

I wish that I could! The cabin that I truly want is one I can’t afford. If money wasn’t an issue I would have  booked it from the beginning. I booked the cabin I could afford and hope to get lucky with an upgrade. Of course I wouldn’t expect to go from an inside cabin to an owners suite. ( I’m not sure if that’s even offered). I’m hoping to go from a veranda to an Aqua.  Regardless what happens with my bid, I won’t be disappointed. I look at it like gambling, nice to win but I expect to lose. 

2 minutes ago, dleahy4444 said:

Got it thanks. I don’t expect to win but it’s fun just to try to figure out my odds etc. 

LOL ---  I agree.   I didn't expect to win the Mega Million Lottery but bought a ticket.   Unfortunately I didn't win so I guess I have to keep bidding on upgrades. 

BTW -  depending on the level of cabin you booked you can go to sites like any of the airlines cruise booking portals and select the class of the room you would like to bid on and see how many cabins are available.    Often when bidding anything below suites there are lots of inventory and your odds of a win at or near the minimum bid are pretty high.

I always say -   When bidding expect the worst cabin in the classification you are bidding on and be happy if you get a better room.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

LOL ---  I agree.   I didn't expect to win the Mega Million Lottery but bought a ticket.   Unfortunately I didn't win so I guess I have to keep bidding on upgrades. 

BTW -  depending on the level of cabin you booked you can go to sites like any of the airlines cruise booking portals and select the class of the room you would like to bid on and see how many cabins are available.    Often when bidding anything below suites there are lots of inventory and your odds of a win at or near the minimum bid are pretty high.

I always say -   When bidding expect the worst cabin in the classification you are bidding on and be happy if you get a better room.

Good to know thanks

4 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

I wish that I could! The cabin that I truly want is one I can’t afford. If money wasn’t an issue I would have  booked it from the beginning. I booked the cabin I could afford and hope to get lucky with an upgrade. Of course I wouldn’t expect to go from an inside cabin to an owners suite. ( I’m not sure if that’s even offered). I’m hoping to go from a veranda to an Aqua.  Regardless what happens with my bid, I won’t be disappointed. I look at it like gambling, nice to win but I expect to lose. 

Look at the difference between a veranda and AQ.  The AQ comes with the 3 perks if you book it.   The difference in cost is more than covered by those perks.   If you do a move up you  don’t get those perks unless you already paid for them.  

Ex.  7 day cruise cost difference is $600 pp and you get the perks, plus an upgrade depending on CC status.  Move up bid is $400 pp.  it is accepted.  You don’t get the perks or the points and can’t choose the cabin. For $200 extra you would get  the perks  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

7 hours ago, miched said:

Look at the difference between a veranda and AQ.  The AQ comes with the 3 perks if you book it.   The difference in cost is more than covered by those perks.   If you do a move up you  don’t get those perks unless you already paid for them.  

Ex.  7 day cruise cost difference is $600 pp and you get the perks, plus an upgrade depending on CC status.  Move up bid is $400 pp.  it is accepted.  You don’t get the perks or the points and can’t choose the cabin. For $200 extra you would get  the perks  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Thanks for your response. Certainly something to consider at the time of booking. The perks are nice to have but we wouldn’t go out of our way for them because we don’t really drink or need internet much. I’m mostly interested in getting the Aqua room in order to have access to Blu. However the cruise is less than a week away and there are no more Aqua rooms left. I’m hoping to get one through move up if there are last minute cancellations. It’s unlikely, I know, but still fun to think we have a chance, however improbable.  Once we get the rejection email we won’t give it a second thought and just be so happy to be on a cruise at all!