Op shops Southampton?

Sallyandtex

There are quite a few in the main shopping area.  We just call them Charity shops

over here.

So if you google  charity shops in southampton    you will get many hits

and a googlemap comes up showing where they are.

Dont get your hopes up for seeing much at North Cape  we didnt go but

last June  it was cloudbound   the "guides"  were poor and people were

just dumped there and picked up later.  Many on the ship trip got refunds.

We had the best view of it from a sail past when the ship left.

Edited by Aulanis
  • Thanks 1

Whilst there are charity shops there, it is very hit & miss as to what sort of clothing they have in stock. The other option would be to check out cheap fashion chains like Primark but they may still only have lightweight summer ranges then...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Like other shops, the charity shops will only be selling things that are in season with the winter things put into storage in the summer and summer items put into storage in the winter.  Having said that, despite the latitude which will be reached on your cruise, because of the gulf stream the weather will not be a bad as people from other parts of the world often expect at that time of year, though North Cape itself can get somewhat bleak, especially in strong winds.

What I suggest you really need is an  outer coat which is fully waterproof and windproof, though can be quite thin, but big enough to put a couple of layers on underneath.  That will also work well if you get rain in the more southerly parts of Norway or the UK, which is not unusual.  Probably a fleece and a smaller jumper under that along with hat/scarf and windproof gloves will be fine.  That should keep you snug enough, even if you intend to spend a fair while out on deck when the ship is at sea in the more northerly area, (lots of birds and often whales around). Some good thermal underwear can be as good as a lightweight jumper as well, but be a lot less bulk/weight.

People are often surprised how warm it can get in sheltered areas of Norway as well, so make sure you do have enough summer clothes with you.

Norway is beautiful, enjoy the cruise.  

Edited by tring
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thankyou so much! I will bring thermals , layers and a waterproof jacket etc. I get pretty cold in the wind, especially hands and feet.

I have a big puffy jacket I bought in NY when we went there in 2009 because I was so cold, and haven't used it since. It would take up half my bag!

We are also spending 3 weeks in Scotland so I guess the rain jacket will come in handy for that too.

• Like 1

June can be a very nice month in Scotland. Very generally speaking, the West of Scotland is mild and wet and the East cool and dry! It is not unknown, particularly in the West, to feel you have experienced all four seasons in one day... 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sallyandtex said:

I have a big puffy jacket I bought in NY when we went there in 2009 because I was so cold, and haven't used it since. It would take up half my bag!

In such a situation, when flying  I wear any clothes that would add too much to the volume or weight of luggage  

JB 🙂

ps I didn't say that's a comfortable solution.😏

• Like 2