I have a travel agent question...

I'm speaking with one today and I know we can't mention who/what/where on the boards but I was wondering if there were any questions I should ask that I haven't thought of regarding perks? I'm new at this as I've always booked through a RCCL rep so I know what those limitations are 🙃

Here is what I have so far:

*OBC - strictly through AMEX or does TA also offer

*AMEX Platinum - can those perks be applied

*Do they participate in RoyalUp

*Diamond Status - provide numbers for additional perks

Thanks for insight from those experienced in working with a TA, appreciate it!

• Like 1

Are there any fees not originating from Royal?  If they charge a penny for anything like a booking fee or cancelation fee beyond what the cruise line charges run away fast.  

For me the value of a TA isn't the OBC or perks but how long they have been doing Royal and how well they know how to work the system.

Be careful shopping for the most OBC or perks.  Thar's danger in them thar hills. 

There is a finite amount of commission they get.  Those agencies who carve into commission to give perks don't have anything or much left to justify hours on the phone when the proverbial stuff hits the fan.  When I've gotten "good deals" like big discounts or big OBC I've eventually always been let down by those types of agencies when things didn't go right.  Some just flat out refuse to call Royal or they make up policy so you don't get price drops because that reduces their commission and they would be underwater on the booking since they gave big perks from that commission, so they refuse to do price drops.  Some don't even want to do cabin changes because that is time and there is no money in the booking to cover more time spent on it.

I had one agency offer me a rate less than the website.  It turns out they were manipulating group bookings, charging me something between group rates and website rates so I appeared to get a discount.  My credit card was charged by Royal and also by that agency for a few hundred.  When the crane fell on Oasis my FCC wasn't as big as it should have been since Royal only saw the lower group rate figure as my cruise fare, not what I paid before taxes and ports fees including the charges paid directly to the travel agency.  Seemed like a good deal at the time.  Cost me FCC when they cancelled the cruise.

Low bid rarely nets the best experience.  Shopping for the most perks is like contracting the lowest bid.  It can work out fine but when it doesn't it's a Royal PITA.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

I may be wrong, but I read @twangster's comments as a caution about which type of TA to use. I used a TA for the first time last year after booking for myself several cruises before that (and I'm using a TA again for my upcoming cruise in April). I was surprised by how much I enjoyed using a TA, when I usually like to do planning for myself. I felt like I did not lose control over anything I wanted to plan, but rather I just had an advocate for things that would be really difficult for me to handle on my own. There are some good ones out there - but they aren't necessarily the ones that are trying to draw you in with OBC or other perks. The good ones will sometimes offer a perk - I've gotten one each of the last two cruises - but they don't have to, to still generate business and serve their customers well. I use the cruise planner on my own, I schedule all of my own stuff, but if I want to switch up something major, I just shoot off a quick email and it is handled, rather than waiting on hold for 2 hours with RCI...

For OP - 

• I don't use AMEX but I do remember reading a thread where knowledgeable posters said that the AMEX benefits come through their own travel agency only - there's apparently a specific website
  • When I use a TA, I still got Royal Up emails and could have bid if I wanted to (our teens have had an adjoining room both times so we don't participate)
  • Your status comes with you regardless of how you book. TAs use your C&A number when booking.

I think there is some confusion about TAs with cruising because it is very different than other trips you might take (I was confused before I started using one). It really ends up being a split responsibility, not just turning over complete control.

Also, if you want to talk specifics, you can head over to the other message forum that is cruise line specific (not run by Royal but a fan site - royal caribbean blog dot com).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, loman said:

I was considering using a TA on cruise i was looking at, but after reading this thread i think i will go back to looking after things myself.

Thanks Twangster . 🙂

Suit yourself, to each their own.

I use a TA because it doesn't cost me anything and they have access to a booking engine that can find things that are much harder to find on the Royal website.   A good TA can also access group rates (without using those group rates in a shady manner).

The trick is finding a good TA.  For some people "good" equates to best perks or most OBC.    To me a good TA provides great service.  

Like many things in life once you establish a relationship with a good TA there are added benefits for a long term relationship.    

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

I use a TA because it doesn't cost me anything and they have access to a booking engine that can find things that are much harder to find on the Royal website.   A good TA can also access group rates (without using those group rates in a shady manner).

Yes! And I forgot to say that some TAs will also automatically reprice for you if the rate lowers!

• Like 2

I use an online TA for several reasons.

We are not glued to one particular cruiseline, so when I search, I can see all the different options out there for that week/month whenever I am looking for.

Also have you been on the RC site and tried to navigate? Or try calling?   Have fun.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RosieRoo said:

My sister has a platinum AmEx. You do not have to book thru AmEx to get the benefits. She always received them with any TA she booked thru. 

OK, as I said, I don't have AmEx, just read another thread on this same topic. Thanks for the clarification. If OP wants to see this other thread, it is actually on the *other* message board for this cruise line that I mentioned above and the thread is titled "Royal Caribbean Amex platinum confusion" posted by user Jakegreena.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

OK, as I said, I don't have AmEx, just read another thread on this same topic. Thanks for the clarification. If OP wants to see this other thread, it is actually on the *other* message board for this cruise line that I mentioned above and the thread is titled "Royal Caribbean Amex platinum confusion" posted by user Jakegreena.

I have AmEx, but not the Platinum one. It may have changed, but I know when my sister booked before she didn’t book thru AmEx and she was able to get the perks. Best for the OP to ask the TAs she’s thinking about using ahead of time. 

• Like 2

On 1/16/2023 at 10:56 AM, loman said:

I was considering using a TA on cruise i was looking at, but after reading this thread i think i will go back to looking after things myself.

Thanks Twangster . 🙂

Do it all yourself, get completely squared away with Royal, get all the perks Royal offers for your cruise. You then have 30 days to transfer to a TA of your choice keeping everything Royal offers and then picking up everything the TA offers.  We recently did this booking a Quantum transpacific cruise through Royal. We transferred over to a big box store and picked up a $50 OBC, a classic coke package, $65 spa credit and Specialty dining for two, came home and received a $ 180 shop card in the mail. Simply a matter of calling the TA and giving them your reservation number, they do everything else needed.  You will then need the TA to make any changes, price drops are just a quick call to the TA, the big box store we use is not in the loop for Royal Up. 

• Like 2

Be careful when selecting a TA  Agree that the TA should offer you some perks- yes they work, but most do make a significant commission- especially on high end suites.  If not onboard credit, dinners for two a specialty restaurant.  I do all of the work and resent that a TA I used recently didn't even give us a free dinner-  We booked a b/2/b suite. 

Will either find a good TA or book direct.

I just wanted to say Thank You to everyone who replied with helpful information. As I mentioned, I have always booked through RC and one of their reps. The main reason I wanted to switch to a TA is because I have an AMEX Platinum card and I want to start applying those OBC benefits (with the stupid yearly fee we pay, I want the rewards lol!). It was here I learned that with the proper TA they would be able to submit that form on my behalf to get the OBC applied. 

I had a great conversation with my TA today, she was able to hold my room for 10 days so I can continue to price shop before placing the deposit. She confirmed that I will still be eligible to bid on RoyalUp, and the best part, she will be able to make sure my AMEX perk is applied to my booking. Very happy 😀

• Like 3

13 hours ago, GetToLivin said:

I had a great conversation with my TA today, she was able to hold my room for 10 days so I can continue to price shop before placing the deposit. She confirmed that I will still be eligible to bid on RoyalUp, and the best part, she will be able to make sure my AMEX perk is applied to my booking. Very happy 😀

The only way the price should vary from TA to TA is if one is holding group space. If that's the case, if you are booked into group space, you cannot apply the Amex Plat benefits. I am 100% positive on this. Royal used to let it slide, but they've become very strict on it over at least the last year. So if the Plat Amex benefits are important to you, look at your confirmation to see if you have a Group ID on it (at the top following your confirmation/reservation number). If you do, Royal will not add the Amex benefits. If anyone says yes they will, that person got lucky and got an inexperienced cruise line res agent who didn't know policy or simply made a mistake. This is specific to Royal, not other cruise lines. On Celebrity, for ex, you can combine it with group rates. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I do all of the work and resent that a TA I used recently didn't even give us a free dinner-  We booked a b/2/b suite. 

I always have them confirm price and perks via email before I book or transfer my reservation.